Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #85: Hong Kong campaign concept art revealed

Deleted member 7219

I'm hoping the setting turns out to be more than just a futuristic Sleeping Dogs.

eXalted

Arcane
Any mods hosted on the Nexus that you can recommend?

I'm currently playing and exploring the mods scene and as far as what I've read on different places, some of the good ones are:

- Nightmare Harvest (this one I've finished before the SRR campaign - superb quality, if you pass the unbalanced fights)
- Shadowrun Unlimited ( Sandbox Shadowrun, the author is very active on this one, today a new patch is released. If you are more of a sandbox playground player type and you are okay with almost missing plot, check it, have a nice addition of skills - Stealth, Electronics, Negotiation, etc. Matrix implemented in different way (you have matrix skills - Spoofing, Exploit, Masking, etc.. you can log in the matrix before going to the run and disable some of their systems) Also has random encounters, a lot of work went into this one. Kind of buggy sometimes but hey it stretches the game engine on max.)
- Antumbra Saga
- From the Shadows, Run
- A Stitch in Time
- The Deep One

Last edited:

Lerk

Learned
I'm currently playing and exploring the mods scene and as far as what I've read on different places, some of the good ones are:

- Nightmare Harvest (this one I've finished before the SRR campaign - superb quality, if you pass the unbalanced fights)
- Shadowrun Unlimited ( Sandbox Shadowrun, the author is very active on this one, today a new patch is released. If you are more of a sandbox playground player type and you are okay with almost missing plot, check it, have a nice addition of skills - Stealth, Electronics, Negotiation, etc. Matrix implemented in different way (you have matrix skills - Spoofing, Exploit, Masking, etc.. you can log in the matrix before going to the run and disable some of their systems) Also has random encounters, a lot of work went into this one. Kind of buggy sometimes but hey it stretches the game engine on max.)
- Antumbra Saga
- From the Shadows, Run
- A Stitch in Time
- The Deep One
Do these require DMS or DF(DC) to run, or?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What, they just took the same art and put the title on it? Good thing we already knew the setting so there's no need for a new newspost. +M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meanwhile, in the comments, here's the type of person who fueled the Kickstarter fad of 2012 and is now no doubt full of disappointment:

If this is seeking additional funding via KS I expect this to be a damn near perfect analogue to the PnP game, meaning:

Multiplayer support with custom campaigns
Much more elaborated systems, options, scenarios, etc.
Ability to play asynchronously, in real time - locally, or online

I'm still skeptical as to why this is seeking additional KS, given the 4x meeting the initial goal, plus the rather abundant success via viral word-of-mouth and front-page and sale status on Steam.

I want players to be able to experience the PnP game in a truly visual setting via the beautiful artwork you guys have done thus far, amazing music, and functional and intuitive menus and gameplay. I want a more complete package that can bring the video game to parity with the PnP.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wtf, why would people want this to be a multiplayer P&P simulator? Even the most complex, most highly funded and most hyped single-player party-based RPG should not have that because it would be a silly marketing decision. What they want is an entirely different product.

eXalted

Arcane
Do these require DMS or DF(DC) to run, or?
Antrumbra and Shadowrun Unlimited are for both. Although Unlimited is currently updated only for Dragonfall. The others are sadly only for SRR.

Meanwhile, in the comments, here's the type of person who fueled the Kickstarter fad of 2012 and is now no doubt full of disappointment:
I really hope that they are aware of all the s#!t from the community that they could eat with this second Kickstarter campaign if they don't take this next game seriously and improve the engine drastically (not the graphics, the capabilities).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Wtf, why would people want this to be a multiplayer P&P simulator? Even the most complex, most highly funded and most hyped single-player party-based RPG should not have that because it would be a silly marketing decision. What they want is an entirely different product.

Multiplayer tends to increase a game's longevity and makes piracy less attractive. Not to mention that it's completely natural to want to play a P&P-based video game with other people.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, but it would be too much work to implement in a game like this, with an engine like this.

If anything, that should be a seperate product.

eXalted

Arcane
Well, for a game that fires another Kickstarter, I'm expecting a separate product. I hope they improve drastically engine and add a lot more capabilities to it. From frontend things like animations (for example climbing stairs) to backend like more open world capabilities.

set

Cipher
Well, for a game that fires another Kickstarter, I'm expecting a separate product. I hope they improve drastically engine and add a lot more capabilities to it. From frontend things like animations (for example climbing stairs) to backend like more open world capabilities.

I don't think open world is really viable at this point, but expanded locations would be good. I don't like how a lot of levels are 1-2 floors with a couple compartments in each. I'd like some more z-axis stuff, where doing stuff on floor X of some corporation building effects stuff on floor Y and Z.

It'd also be nice if they supported stealth runs. They'd have to revamp the system though, as even with the editor I couldn't create patrol paths for stuff without making everyone enter combat -- or even create seemless scenes (I wanted to create a scene where two groups fought each other outside of a building, but if one group of soldiers enters combat, it forces everyone globally into combat, so people indoors get involved even if they should only be spectators of the fight).

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Yes, but it would be too much work to implement in a game like this, with an engine like this.

With Shadowrun Online coming soon, there is no chance they'll try to implement multiplayer in next campaing anyway.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't think open world is really viable at this point, but expanded locations would be good. I don't like how a lot of levels are 1-2 floors with a couple compartments in each. I'd like some more z-axis stuff, where doing stuff on floor X of some corporation building effects stuff on floor Y and Z.

It'd also be nice if they supported stealth runs. They'd have to revamp the system though, as even with the editor I couldn't create patrol paths for stuff without making everyone enter combat -- or even create seemless scenes (I wanted to create a scene where two groups fought each other outside of a building, but if one group of soldiers enters combat, it forces everyone globally into combat, so people indoors get involved even if they should only be spectators of the fight).
I think there is some kind of unfinished, buggy stealth mechanic hidden in the editor, but it was cut from SRR due to time constraints. I played a SRR campaign that used some sort of rudimentary stealth that appeared to adhere to vision cones and not using regions.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Realistically, their biggest new features are going to be UI tweaks on PC and lower energy consumption on cellphones. Expect a $400k baseline goal.

eXalted

Arcane

By open world I meant, more easy approach into creating, say a UGC where you have a global map and you jump from location to location without doing this in some hacky "not supposed" ways.

On to the second - I saw that the editor supports tagging. Isn't it possible to tag the actors that you want to enter the combat?

I think there is some kind of unfinished, buggy stealth mechanic hidden in the editor, but it was cut from SRR due to time constraints. I played a SRR campaign that used some sort of rudimentary stealth that appeared to adhere to vision cones and not using regions.
Apparently in Shadowrun, you can't run in he shadows. Now that is a pun!!!

Ninjerk

Arcane
From what I read in the wiki, tags don't really do anything mechanically (they facilitate searching or something).

eXalted

Arcane
From what I read in the wiki, tags don't really do anything mechanically (they facilitate searching or something).

ShadowrunWiki said:
Why Would I Use a Tag?
As mentioned above Tags can be used to differentiate Props or Actors from similiar Props or Actors. Sometimes adding a Tag is the only possible way to achieve your goal. Think of this situation: You order a group of gangers to sneak through a building. A free spirit that resides in the building is known to haunt and kill everyone it finds invading it´s home. The spirit is set to patrol in the building. Question: When all five gangers wandered through the building and the spirit only noticed three of them, how do you later evaluate which gangers the spirit will haunt and kill? Answer: Assign a Tag to every ganger the spirit becomes aware of while it is on patrol (Trigger used: On Actor Awareness of Another Actor, Add Tag to Actor) and later refer to that Tag (Evaluate Tag for Actor).
https://shadowrun-returns.wikispaces.com/Tag
By the description, it seems that they can be very handful. I'm curious if 4 actors are tagged "Team A" and 4 others "Team B",if it is possible ti start a fight between them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom