Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #85: Hong Kong campaign concept art revealed

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can dig it. I hope they get tons and make a huge awesome game too, bigger and maybe less linear than what we've seen. And if that's the plan, then they have a good reason to keep the barrier of entry as high as it was last time. I just don't want to see it artificially high for no good reason.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Or maybe they'll CDP the game, use the extra budget for marketing, and go full popamole :negative:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Back when there was a vote for the second city, this is how they described Hong Kong:

Hong Kong finds itself now as an independent city/state in 2050. Both ancient and modern Hong Kong seems to be at peace on the same island. It's corporate sponsored City Center rivals any in the world for splendor and corporate intrigue. All the megcorps are there as well as all smaller ones that love to think they can play with the big boys (and maybe even steal a secret or two). Yet, just outside the city center you will find ancient temples and shrines. Each one situated on the many dragon lines that cross the island. Dragon lines are mysterious and powerful paths of magic that the monks claim hold the secrets of the great dragons themselves. Protecting the monks and running the underworld are the mysterious syndicate called the Triads - gangs that control their island, protect their secret masters and really really hate the Yakuza.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/224669

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Isn't that impossible with the current engine?
Not sure open world is possible, but the engine can handle some big multi-level maps. The problem is that the engine has a lot of trouble keeping track of map persistence between visits.

Knowing that they will invariably release on mobile devices, I wonder how many of these limitations are self imposed for the sake of making it run on touch screens and inferior hardware.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Not sure open world is possible, but the engine can handle some big multi-level maps. The problem is that the engine has a lot of trouble keeping track of map persistence between visits.

Knowing that they will invariably release on mobile devices, I wonder how many of these limitations are self imposed for the sake of making it run on touch screens and inferior hardware.
The scenarios have global variables; I would assume they've merely avoided having a mess of globals to track.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have not be very good at this but i bet they are going to have more.
If they make less i have the feeling the final sales are going to be a big failure.

The Codex crowd is not a good sample but there are much more people here aware/supporting/happy with SRR now than when the fist kickstarter campaign was launched (the unlimited ammo debate hehe).
I can see more codexers backing the campaign this time.

The Codex isn't the rest of the world. Shadowrun Returns had 36,000+ backers. What percentage of those people care enough to come back for a "more of the same" Kickstarter? How many of them were disappointed by SRR? How many of them were just hopping on the 2012 Kickstarter fad and no longer care about that stuff? We shall see.

Keep in mind that HBS have consistently failed to hype up their products since the initial launch of the game - Dragonfall was great but it seems few people noticed. Dragonfall DC dropped like a rock. I dunno man, it just seems like the fire isn't there. And that's why they might need to demand more money from those few people who do care.

Ultimately though, it all depends on how much funding they even need for this campaign.

jdinatale

Cipher

I don't see how they did that. I've taken C++ and Java in college and I know you can just declare things as global variables and you keep track of all of the instances and just call methods for them. That seems really amateur to me.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The scenarios have global variables; I would assume they've merely avoided having a mess of globals to track.
Better designed RPG engines don't need the developers to manually track everything with globals. Each interactive object (like NPCs) should have variables you can set and are not unset the moment you leave the map.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Isn't that impossible with the current engine?

Yes (because of the F%&$#*@ reliance on Tablets).

BUT, they could have multiple large maps that all connect together. But that might get a bit confusing (instead of having ONE huge gigantic map). I.E. HALP I CANT FIND CAIUS!!!1111!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lets hope they don't blow the funds on trying to do full voice overs.
I can't even conceive of a situation in which they would try to do that. All it would be would be a CD of an actor reading a Shadowrun story because they wouldn't be able to afford anything else at all.

naossano

Cipher
You also have to take into account the people like myself who weren't aware of the game during the kickstarter or even during the launch, and who became hooked when playing it. Those are likely to become NEW backers.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm with naossano, I hadn't heard of kickstarter at that time, and will probably back this time, unless HBS shit the funding goal in, in which case I will buy at full price after the KS.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I don't see how they did that. I've taken C++ and Java in college and I know you can just declare things as global variables and you keep track of all of the instances and just call methods for them. That seems really amateur to me.
Using a lot of global variables brings a ton of pain when you have a non-trivial program. The real world of software development is a bit more complicated than CS101.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
hopefully hbs ain't that stupid to switch to another editor again. this drek shredded the community and a lot of modders lost incentive to start over or to port their runs.
they should also release an exporter/documentation to get new 3d art into the game. their approach with saving as source was a nice step in the right direction.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
No but close. The Director's Cut basically shat upon the older mods and required modders to port their stuff or start from scratch. Hopefully HK expansion/sequel/whatever will reinvigorate the scene.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Generally speaking, games that are highly "setting-specific" rarely have the most thriving mod scenes. The more generic and open, the better. Don't pin your hopes on the Shadowrun Returns modding scene.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Generally speaking, games that are highly "setting-specific" rarely have the most thriving mod scenes. The more generic and open, the better. Don't pin your hopes on the Shadowrun Returns modding scene.
If the engine wasnt such a clusterfuck i think we would have had a much more prolific modding scene

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Mod scenes in new RPGs (Shadowrun, D:OS...) are pretty underwhelming so far. (I know it's early to say this.)

Well, actually I'd like to see that some company release a dedicated "Construction Kit (or Set)" like the old days. (HBS? Larian? Obsidian? ...inXile?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom