Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Footage

Koschey

Arcane
The thing with looting is, when you are hitting a corp from an ingame POV you want to be as fast and efficient as possible, not spend two minutes each corpse to strip it of valuables and afterwards haul around more weapons than you could ever possibly use during the run. In contrast to most fantasy RPGs, you don't constantly travel and carry all your possessions in a backpack, but reside in the same area for long stretches of time and only carry stuff you'll think will be useful in the near future (that is, everyday life or the next run). Of course you can also come across situations where looting everything that isn't nailed down wouldn't be viable in other RPGs, but in Shadowrun those situations are the norm.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still, it is somewhat irritating when the enemy has a cool/rare gun that you cannot get, because the game does not allow it. And taking a gun from from the hands of dead enemies is a Simple Action.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I am awaiting things happily. I hope this game will bear the fruits of a return to the old ways.
Perhaps what we have seen, with Bioware and other like-minded RPG-lite companies is akin to a cycle, perhaps like our sun, varying in fluctuations ever ten years.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd suggest waiting with the bitching until the info's more complete... but where would be the fun in that.
On the codex? :lol:

Indeed. Every time I suggest such a thing I'm suddenly the dude from "leave Brittney alone". God forbid somebody is patient and mature enough not to spew angry diarrhea out their mouth every time a single piece of information surfaces.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Indeed. Every time I suggest such a thing I'm suddenly the dude from "leave Brittney alone". God forbid somebody is patient and mature enough not to spew angry diarrhea out MY mouth every time a single piece of information surfaces.

That's an... interesting picture. Anyway, it's a time honoured codex tradition and often it is later proven true.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game looks minimalistic and :obviously: classy thanks and not despite having relatively small budget as More Jewgold would be used only to implement things consoltardz love like (3D Graphics) BLOOM and More (Real Time) ACTIUN. Even criticized lack of loot is :incline: compared to games when every barrel holds sword +1 (All fantasy games) and you spend more time looting battlefield and selling the junk than fighting (JA 2) it would much more realistic to get mercs with standard gear like AK-47, FN-FALs, G3s and give you more modern and rare stuff as rewards for side missions or very rare loot from Bosses like Mike.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Geez, at least try to maintain some semblance of objectivity while tossing your wet blanket around. You know that inflation has almost quadrupled what that budget would mean since the 80's, right? You're aware that basically everything that is done to create a modern video game (aside from writing and design) is both significantly more expensive and more time-consuming than anything made in the 80's, right?
You think it'd cost even close to a million to make an 80s style dungeon crawler today? Rigger please. Go ask Charles if he spent anywhere near a million making S&S: Underworld.

I had completely forgotten that the editor is also taking up a large amount of their resources. So there is that. Perhaps they should have made loot systems a stretch goal instead of an entire free campaign in another city or whatever whatsits they had. :P

At least you accurately reduced their budget to account for KS/Paypal fees, and reward fulfillment, though $1.4-1.5m is probably closer to the actual number.

In this update Weisman said that after the Kickstarter/Amazon cut and the physical rewards were squared away, they had a little less than 1.2 million to make the game. I pay attention to these things. :cool:

I like how apparantly you didn't read the thread.
To be fair, I only linked to the post I made in the other thread where I linked and quoted the forum post where the developer confirmed that loot systems are out of their scope.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Geez, at least try to maintain some semblance of objectivity while tossing your wet blanket around. You know that inflation has almost quadrupled what that budget would mean since the 80's, right? You're aware that basically everything that is done to create a modern video game (aside from writing and design) is both significantly more expensive and more time-consuming than anything made in the 80's, right?
You think it'd cost even close to a million to make an 80s style dungeon crawler today? Rigger please. Go ask Charles if he spent anywhere near a million making S&S: Underworld.

I had completely forgotten that the editor is also taking up a large amount of their resources. So there is that. Perhaps they should have made loot systems a stretch goal instead of an entire free campaign in another city or whatever whatsits they had. :P

At least you accurately reduced their budget to account for KS/Paypal fees, and reward fulfillment, though $1.4-1.5m is probably closer to the actual number.

In this update Weisman said that after the Kickstarter/Amazon cut and the physical rewards were squared away, they had a little less than 1.2 million to make the game. I pay attention to these things. :cool:

I like how apparantly you didn't read the thread.
To be fair, I only linked to the post I made in the other thread where I linked and quoted the forum post where the developer confirmed that loot systems are out of their scope.

It's still ironic to accuse posters for being too quick to react and then do it yourself.

turrican

Educated
Todays videos from SXSW with Weisman and Gitelman on Shadowrun Returns:

Part 1:

Part 2:

It is however pretty much the same video as the previous online one, the only interesting bits are the question/answers from the audience.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Would be nice if the codex developed a nice module mod community for this game. I think this is the kind of editor i would love to try out and write some half decent stories with.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We tried to do an interview but way early in the project and they ignored us. Though it seems they are only doing very rare interviews, and it seems they just want to manage all the info on their games themselves for now.

Hell if they asked I could go over there and interview them, and give dorito and Mnt Dew.

almondblight

Arcane
Hell if they asked I could go over there and interview them, and give dorito and Mnt Dew.

Wasn't there some guy that showed up at Obsidian's office, got turned away, cried about it in the KS comments and he got invited back? You could try that. Better to cry about it first and save a trip.

evdk

Patron
Wasn't there some guy that showed up at Obsidian's office, got turned away, cried about it in the KS comments and he got invited back? You could try that. Better to cry about it first and save a trip.
No, my plan with the break in is better. When he's discovered, he should claim he's making a run.

We tried to do an interview but way early in the project and they ignored us. Though it seems they are only doing very rare interviews, and it seems they just want to manage all the info on their games themselves for now.

Bro, obviously, breaking in and rape is the only answer. :mhd:

evdk

Patron
:bro:

We should've done a 10k fundraiser for SRR. Fuck this rtwp crap we pledged to instead :(

Sadly, at the time of the KS campaign it merely looked interesting. I for example only pledged because I love the setting and even then I've settled for the minimum pledge.

But that is no excuse. Our MCA idolatry has blinded us, the Covenant is broken. We must repent.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah at the time of the KS it was going to be just a shitty flash game by the way they described it.

Instead of the shitty Flash game with no loot that it is now.

:troll:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I am expecting Grunker it put something together. Do no let me down, man.

I really want to make something, but I know nothing about coding/scripting. I put together a couple of lousy NWN-mods, but without the ability to script I never could make something really worthwhile :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom