Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

Ninjerk

Arcane
17002.jpg

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Played for a couple hours. Good, but not different enough from Dragonfall to be worth the time investment. Backlogged.

Still looking forward to Battletech.

V_K

Arcane
Finally finished... too bad that enjoyment was dropping the closer I was getting to the end

Skill checks were bugged. My character was build in such way that I could pass almost everything... Still decking 7 is not enough to pass decking 7 it seems. Sometimes Reloading was helping, but in many cases I ddint bother because of following:
Oh my god the loading times... On high end PC it was taking longer than in Witcher3...

Also many dialogs were bugged. Crafty, im looking at you. For half of the game I had same set of dialogs with her regarding her research... After last mission when I came to her - empty window showed... All I could do was to go away. She is the extreme example, but there was more.

2 or 3 times bugged a quest which gave me instant finish... Like with gobbet personal quest, which somehow I finished during very first fight(without finishing it) with blowing up everything as result... Another long loading time...

Id be fine with the game itself... but I feel that I spent too much for that buggy experience.

Also few more questions regarding ending:

Spent all that time learning about those demigods. Was kind of expecting a way to trick end boss during dialogue... But opportunity never presented itself and I didnt feel like spending 1 h on reloads to check everything. Was all that research for nothing or you indeed can play it smart? The only thing I've notticed was to force monster attention from foster father to myself.

DF spoiled me with many possible endings. In here not so much. Can I even quit being shadowrunner after all of this? It appeared that all my responces wouldnt matter.

and notes on NPCs:
The only interesting ones were Ambrose and Recter... Maybe Gobbet to some extend. Others were just there. Most annoying was club 88. Family of trolls with problems... Comming from the fact that they are not talking to each other... Good thing that there is a random shadowrunner that can listen to all their drama and even make some choices for them without any skill checks...
To talk down the final boss you need to propose a deal to here, and after some fuss pick the "I have a counterproposal" option.
There are 8 endings total, there was a discussion of them a few pages back.
You can't quit shadowrunning - but it's logical: even with the APB lifted, you're still SINless, so there's not much else for you to do.

Fredward

Scholar
Spent all that time learning about those demigods. Was kind of expecting a way to trick end boss during dialogue... But opportunity never presented itself and I didnt feel like spending 1 h on reloads to check everything. Was all that research for nothing or you indeed can play it smart? The only thing I've notticed was to force monster attention from foster father to myself.

DF spoiled me with many possible endings. In here not so much. Can I even quit being shadowrunner after all of this? It appeared that all my responces wouldnt matter.

To get the tricksy ending you need to:

Exhaust dialogue with Izzy and Crafty (maaaybe Gobbet), sleep every time you can sleep and repeat the phrase that you and Duncan reminisce about, that Raymond says his mother always said. The option crops up right before you go into the Walled City for the last time while Raymond and Duncan are arguing. I missed that part the first time cuz I thought it was cheesy AF but you need to say it cuz it reveals a bit of info (more Yama Kings can slip through). And then mention you wanna deal with her at the end obviously.

And I imagine that if they DO add the option to quit shadowrunning they'll at least wait till they release the mini-campaign. Not that they seem to want you to want that.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
I'm at the Ares mission with the weapon prototype and I'm just curious..

Do you generally read deeply the technobabble in such games? I mean things like email correspondence where the problems around the research of the high tech weapon are discussed with all kind of "scientific" terms?

Zetor

Arcane
I like reading that stuff but the more people post in this thread, the more I'm feeling like a freak for doing so.
Naw, I think many people do read it... the writing is good for the most part, it just needs an editor. You could list just as many instances of bad / awkward writing from any game if you went through each dialogue with a microscope, too.

Personally, I always got a feel for a particular writer by reading the first few dialogues in a run, then deciding whether to skim the rest or not.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm at the Ares mission with the weapon prototype and I'm just curious..

Do you generally read deeply the technobabble in such games? I mean things like email correspondence where the problems around the research of the high tech weapon are discussed with all kind of "scientific" terms?

In Shadowrun the technical babble is usually more babble less technical - It's part of the charm of Shadowrun.. Similar to like Steam Punk games where you take 3 gears and weld them to a crystal and bam you have a magical gun.

The email correspondence is more to talk about the relationships between employees and to show how fascist a lot of the corps are. I think the writers for Dragonfall / Hong Kong really tried to give some small attempts at making the technical side sound less ridiculous.. which I actually appreciate.

Shadow Run really needs some anchors to reality sometimes or it just gets fucking silly.

(I mean FFS you have shape changing dragons controlling companies and one of the most powerful beings is a elf dressed like a clown who defends the world from C'thulhu beings from the dark world)

When you start digging into the lore especially going back to the early 90's.. shadowrun is just a fetish fantasy of some basement nerds.. the story credibility is weak, these writers do a great job in general of glossing over the more cringy stuff.

Deleted member 7219

Bros, a couple of questions: how do I trigger Racter side-quest and how do I finish Is0bel's story?

Isobel's story concludes at the very end of the game provide you talked to her and did her quest.

For Racter you just need to talk to him until he doesn't have anything more to say, IIRC.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
His side-quest is a part of a run so just talk to him every time you get/accept runs on your computer and he should mention wanting to come along for one of them.

eXalted

Arcane
I like reading that stuff but the more people post in this thread, the more I'm feeling like a freak for doing so.
I also read everything, my question was provoked by the correspondence about the problems with the prototype weapon - dissipation, heat and so on.

I appreciate though that it's not some hard sci-fi stuff where the writer describes in details a theoretic way of how the gadget works actually.

Gozma

Arcane
Was there a special job/run you do for the cyber doctor guy in a wheelchair? I thought I'd reached the end of his story with it not having a big conclusion but I think I read someone saying they did some job for him.

eXalted

Arcane
Still on Ares Run...

Is0bel doesn't have grenade launcher anymore... wut?! :retarded:

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Was there a special job/run you do for the cyber doctor guy in a wheelchair? I thought I'd reached the end of his story with it not having a big conclusion but I think I read someone saying they did some job for him.
Maybe you need to pass some/all of the skill checks on the stuff in his room? Just fizzled out for me too.
Maybe it's that you need to look over his stuff before talking to him for the final time?

His story ends just after the point of no return, right? So seems unlikely he'll give you a run at that point. Maybe just a quick fetch quest in the hub.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You only get a karma point for going through with Ambrose's story. And it ends before the point of no return, at least it did for me.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ares weapon run.
Luckily enough it was one of two uncompleted runs on my mission computer, but anyway I got Racter on a mission and took his stuff from the safe.

Back on base I only have dialog options with him: 1) what do you think about the last run? 2) talk later

How do I finish his quest line?

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
If it's the achievement you're after, I don't think it "activates" until a final conversation as the game ends.
I got Gobbet + Gaichu during the story and Is0bel + Racter after.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom