Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter campaign to launch on January 13th

GloomFrost

Arcane
For some reason i hate shadowrun which is weird considering i love arcanum and i love cyberpunk.
It is even weirder because i didn't play shadowrun (the kickstarted one) more than 30 minutes.

Should i play kickstarted one again or go for "dragonborn" ?

It feels to me like Warhammer. And i hate that shit.
It's dragonFALL lol

uaciaut

Augur
No it does not. Dead Mans Switch is................................OK. But Dragonfall is vastly superior. Period.

- There is the game Shadowrun Returns that contain Dead Man Switch Campaign.
- There is the Dragonfall DLC that requires Shadowrun Returns as it works on that engine.
- There is Dragonfall Director's Cut that is more or less the same story as Dragonfall DLC (with some additions) but is a stand alone game. It doesn't require Shadowrun Returns. But if you have Dragonfall DLC, this stand-alone is free for you.

Dead Man Switch is good too. Presuming you enjoy Dragonfall, i see no reason why you should hate Dead Man Switch.

I was wondering if i can start off with dragonfall directly or not, i.e. am i missing any important story part.

If Dragonfall is slightly better designed and i'm not missing out on any story related aspect i probably wouldn't return to the original shadowrun unless i REALLY enjoy it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It feels to me like Warhammer. And i hate that shit.
Wot? Are you talking about specific Warhammer gameplay mechanics or what? If you are comparing Warhammer with shadowrun based on both having elves and orks on it, this is pure codexian edgyness as anyone that even read one source book would notice there are big differences between the two.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Wonder if it'll be a full fledged sequel or an expansion+ like Dragonfall. Both appeal to me. I remember how awesome it was to see Shadowrun return to the computer as an rpg. And then it turned out to be a pretty cool game that only got better through the expansion. Good trackrecord and a growing grasp on what makes Shadowrun cool and fun to play on a pc. Hope they'll have another success.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I was wondering if i can start off with dragonfall directly or not, i.e. am i missing any important story part.

They are 2 completely different stories, completely unconnected. You wont miss a single thing. Except for one lulzy message in the BBS.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Major update:

kiYPRxE.jpg

https://twitter.com/WeBeHarebrained/status/554337089677176832

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Couldn't they have dropped in random lore bits like Obsidian did? Would have made things more interesting.

Perkel

Arcane
Wot? Are you talking about specific Warhammer gameplay mechanics or what? If you are comparing Warhammer with shadowrun based on both having elves and orks on it, this is pure codexian edgyness as anyone that even read one source book would notice there are big differences between the two.

warhammer setting mainly.

Ehh probably will give Dragonborn a spin in few days.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well if you do not enjoy scifi+magic, nothing will ever make you like Shadowrun.

Or Warhammer.
But Warhammer has some other oddities to it that make some people dislike it.
I know someone who cannot stand it because he bursts into laughter every time one of those we-use-latin-to-sound-important-derp names are mentioned.
Other people can not stand it because there is only war, nothing else. It gets kinda boring.
Basically, it is over the top in every little detail.

Perkel

Arcane
It is not like i don't like sci-fi + magic.
It is more like i don't like clishe presentation of characterization that tries to takes itself seriously.

Though naturally i didn't read/play/do stuff with those games and stuff.

For example i love Wizadry 8 and it also contains magic and scifi but it is presented is such non banal way that i can play it without this feeling someone made that setting on napkin eating his burger going through every fantasy/scifi trope and added them without any real design.

Like i say i will give Dragonshort a try.

:prosper:

edit:

oh i know how to present it. Whenever i see Warhammer or Shadowrun i see WoW Mist of Pandaria

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
EXCELLENT NEWS... it means Dragonfall will be in the next Humble Bundle.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
still never finished Dragonfall, but still totally throwing down. I'm most excited to see updated features. just the addition of freesave in Dragonfall was really, really cool. wonder how much more engine hacking will be going on this time.

himmy

Arcane
I'm expecting 600.000 unless they are really preparing something revolutionary.

Depends. There hasn't really been any large PC game projects since Kingdom Come: Deliverance (except for, maybe, Thimbleweed Park and its 625,000), so it will be interesting to see how a new project from someone returning to KS will be received. Worked well enough for Torment, and W2 wasn't even in beta back then. I think a strong enough pitch can put them in the one million range, but I'm always being overtly optimistic about these things.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's different. With this we have

1) We're going back to Kickstarter!
2) Here's a new background!
3) The background is from Hong Kong! (as if that wasn't obvious)
4) The Kickstarter starts January 13!

Could have been consolidated into two pre-announcements or even just one.
Well if I've learned anything from KS, the actual desperate moves are kickstarters out of no where. That's what DFA did because Shafer was going to have to lay off some people if he couldn't find work for them.

Now what is slightly desperate about this is that they're making their own announcements instead of getting the press to do it, Fargo style. I don't know if that's desperation or just worse marketing savvy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well if I've learned anything from KS, the actual desperate moves are kickstarters out of no where. That's what DFA did because Shafer was going to have to lay off some people if he couldn't find work for them.

Now what is slightly desperate about this is that they're making their own announcements instead of getting the press to do it, Fargo style. I don't know if that's desperation or just worse marketing savvy.

Well, keep in mind that these announcements happened over the weekend.

A horse of course

I might toss them 15 freedoms for a copy. But after the letdown that was DmS and the tentative improvements of Drogfall (I absolutely cannot be fucked to replay the Director's Cut) I'm not enthusiastic enough to pre-order another title, especially one set in Hong Kong.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:bounce: Tomorrow can't come soon enough. I want to see dem pitch, and they gonna seem me throw.
money

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom