Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

DeepOcean

Arcane
Jeez, my old casual playing style of random clicking while enemies melt on old Dragonfall seems to not be working, had my ass handed to me a few times. I have to take things seriously for once? Nice... Still trying to understand the new cover system. When an enemy is flanking you? If you aren't on cover they automatically flank you? To flank you they just need to be slightly to the left or right or they need to attack you from behind?

Don't believe his lies
This is the thread for the old dragonfall. Please create a new thread if you want to discuss the new edition. Thank you.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the music feels very low-key and bland. i've played through the game's first act and yet to remember a single piece

the combat drags on too much because (believe it or not) you miss all the time, and so do the enemies.

feels fantastic to be able to save anywhere

shopping and most interfaces (like levelup screen) feel retarded to use and detracts from experience

since you're never really informed of when you gain loot or money or exp (karma) it feels like they spawn in randomly

animations get boring and repetitive; bad art overall. good concept but very mediocre execution (or maybe just hurried)

surprisingly the writing is the best part of the game. lots of charm. you can tell the writer(s) were enjoying the job.

wow the interface is terrible

question: does the game get better?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Picked Shaman. Found out Shamans kind of suck. I liked Dietrich before, but of course his best spells (Except haste) were Mage.
Shamans get bad spells but they do get to summon. They were kind of OP in DMS because of all the environmental stuff you could summon from.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm liking the new additions so far. The only thing I don't like is they changed the HUD color from that cool 90's future blue to a boring, flat steel grey. Can I change it back?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I found the Shaman to be the least enjoyable class to play as.

Same here :/ Started DC with a shammy on very hard, kinda regretting my choice now. I become a debuffer mostly, summon places are rare and fetishes cost too much. And thanks to my great luck I keep losing spirts with %10-20 chance...:argh: Only good part was etiquettes.

Thinking to restart with a rigger or a mage maybe.

Liking the new editions so far, I hope they release a larger game with more details and choices like this someday.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Seriously? Shaman is awesome. Most fun class to play. All you need to do is just overcome your hoarder instincts and use the fetishes.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I cannot finish missions without using them probably :) Good thing we don't spend any creds on cybernetics so I can resupply.
It's just they break free easly even with low chances to escape. Just my fucking luck I guess. I'm sending them in the midst of enemies from now on, at least they have to deal with them.

Zetor

Arcane
Shaman spells are pretty damn useful too, especially in the Director's Cut. Aside from haste, you have the barrier spells giving mobile med/heavy cover (also a good damage / stun source if enemies cross them), and the shadow spell can make your entire team invincible. Fog is good for punishing enemy groups in cover. Plus a shaman can pick up heal wounds and the armor spell (aim too, though mages get a better version) with a tiny investment into spellcasting.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So KKKonsensus is to buy this director's cut and skip the base game?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
So KKKonsensus is to buy this director's cut and skip the base game?

Dead Man's Switch is so fucking boring. Dragonfall is pretty great.

That is all.

EDIT: To elaborate, DMS is heavily linear and railroaded, you're dragged from one scene to the next with a tiny hub area with all the merchants chilling in the same basement. The conflict escalates ridiculously fast from the initial premise and by the end you're like, "Okay, so I'm saving the world now...okay..."

Dragonfall isn't exactly open-ended, but you have some choices in the order you do missions and the choices you make during them effect your payment for the run, there's some side-quests as well (Directors Cut actually added a few, haven't gotten to them yet). The pacing is much better and when shit gets real, it's more believable (At least for a setting as loveably silly as Shadowrun).

Gameplay is mostly the same, but Dragonfall now has bloody kill animations and a different UI.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
I'd say DMS is worth it at 75% off as it is now. It's not exactly great but it has its moment though it dives into stupidity in the later half of the game or so. I still found it pretty enjoyable, especially the opening bits.

But yeah, Dragonfall is way better, and the DC of that seems to be a big improvement as well.

Gord

Arcane
If you need absolutely top-notch games that excel at what they are doing - skip both (unless you just want to complain a bit). If you can live with games that have some flaws, go for it.

DF is arguably the better campaign, but DMS has its moments and can be fun to play once.
Get DMS on a discount and try it. If you don't like it right away, you likely won't like it later, although the more interesting fights are in the 2nd half, were the story goes downhill a bit.

DF is pretty cool, especially in the middle part, where you do very shadowrunnery stuff and have some amount of freedom to choose what to do and where to go. It's a pity however that they didn't follow up with some real consequences on your decisions (dunno if that changed with the DC, though).

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The difficulty defnitely was upped in DF:DC. On Very Hard, I actually had to use a medikit in the first freaking fight, on the mansion ground floor. So far, I'm quite liking it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
SRRDFDC™ is a perfect example of why HBS needs to make more Shadowrun games for us. Even though they come from a popamole mobile game background, each SRR module released has been 'k for what it was and a marked improvement over their previous iteration. Another 2-3 DLC modules to hit their stride and we're ready for SRR2 GOTY.
:bounce:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
SRRDFDC™ is a perfect example of why HBS needs to make more Shadowrun games for us. Even though they come from a popamole mobile game background, each SRR module released has been 'k for what it was and a marked improvement over their previous iteration. Another 2-3 DLC modules to hit their stride and we're ready for SRR2 GOTY.
:bounce:

Game is currently 44th best seller on Steam, less than a day after release. In before bankruptcy. :negative:

Starwars

Arcane
That's too bad. Wish they could hit some sort of stride with this but it seems it's destined to fall into obscurity.

DeepOcean

Arcane
While Watch Dogs sells 8 million copies on fake E3 videos... yeah... Putin save us... nuke this shit of a planet and clean the infidels on atomic fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom