Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowlands & Shadoworlds.

Black Cat

Magister
I was looking for something, I don't really remember what, when I came across those two games. What little information I have found seems to indicate they are, ahm, kind of very exploration heavy isometric dungeon crawlers with an emphasis on puzzle solving and the like in which you control four characters and with kind of a very ancient set of light physics in place and actually being of importance to the game, both for the puzzles and the exploration.

So, uhm, did anyone play them? Are they good? Are they awful? Are they playable? Are the puzzles good, are the places to explore huge, are they really hard? Etc, etc.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This thread would do better in GRPGD, I think.

Anyway, I haven't played it but, for those interested, I've been able to find a more or less lengthy review of Shadowlands: http://www.lemonamiga.com/reviews/view.php?id=372. Shadoworlds (1993?) is a sequel to Shadowlands (1992), but in a sci-fi setting.
From what I've gathered from around the net, if there's one adjective to describe Shadowlands, it's definitely "dark". :P Too bad the combat isn't turn-based.

Here're the mobygames pages of both games:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/shadowlands
http://www.mobygames.com/game/shadoworlds

Also, in another thread, Blackadder mentioned he had played Shadowlands for Amiga, so you can ask him directly, BC, or repost this in GRPGD for him to see.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember reading reviews for these two games in PC Format back in the day, I think I still own the two issues with those reviews. But I recall that their review ratings were just above 70%.

Remember, that was when they were new.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Unkillable Cat said:
I remember reading reviews for these two games in PC Format back in the day, I think I still own the two issues with those reviews. But I recall that their review ratings were just above 70%.

Remember, that was when they were new.

Really? Mobygames quotes much better ratings for Shadowlands: 84%, 85%, and even 92%.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, but Mobygames doesn't quote every review out there.

Especially none that apply to the MS-DOS version.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Yeah, I just meant that the game may be not as bad/mediocre as the particular review you mentioned makes it out to be.

I've no idea as to the differences between its DOS, Atari and Amiga versions, though.

made

Arcane
The first game got a raving review in Amiga Joker. Realistic light/shadow effects, revolutionary magic system, innovative controls - all sounded super awesome at the time.

Let me know when you do a LP. I never got very far, controls were too confusing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So, Crooked Bee now that you've at least played Shadow Worlds how would you rate it? I remember it not really getting a lot of positives back in the day. Does look like a fun if perhaps somewhat simplistic and gimmicky dungeon crawler today however.

Crooked Bee

Patron
If you enjoy isometric real-time dungeon crawlers, then Shadoworlds is one of the best I've played. Very atmospheric, good puzzles and some tricky combat situations, and the real-time lighting is implemented in a very clever way. In a word, I loved it. Am considering doing a Let's play in the future.

The only downside is the pathfinding. And maybe the clunky interface, but personally I got used to it very quickly.

It got a lot of very positive reviews back in the day, btw: http://amr.abime.net/review_4373

Crooked Bee

Patron
Oh, and by the way and if you decide to play it, go for the Amiga or the Atari ST version. DosBox renders some colors incorrectly for Shadoworlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom