Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Commandos clone with ninjutsu theme

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did anyone get the all-torch badge in the eavesdropping mission? I put out all the torches on the map and killed all the torchbearers, but it didn't process for me.

Unless "including all enemies" also means torch-bearing redshirts that hide in rax, but that would be seriously gay...

Maybe some patroller guy relit after you passed that area? I got that badge without killing any redshirts.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Did anyone get the all-torch badge in the eavesdropping mission? I put out all the torches on the map and killed all the torchbearers, but it didn't process for me.

Unless "including all enemies" also means torch-bearing redshirts that hide in rax, but that would be seriously gay...

Maybe some patroller guy relit after you passed that area? I got that badge without killing any redshirts.

I just about cleared the map of all enemies except the dudes surrounding the general, so not likely. All torches are out, no badge. I guess it must be a bug or sth.

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Game is not designed to be played as a peacenik at all. Like at all. Very disappointed.
Its hard to judge though. If you balance it to be beatable without violence, the easy path becomes even easier...

Using all the tools. Old man actually manages to craw through the door in time. Its dumb of course that hte rifle shot is twice is silent a dog howl...
bdfxDhY.jpg

Worst RTS sequence in the game. Cant jump on them. The guards see each other, there is a patrol down, two up and one on the right...
LQjfMEC.jpg

So I manage to drag the Oldman across the bridge and setup an elaborate decoy to get Yuki-chan to the tea table.
mCCcjkN.jpg

And all I get for it, are 2 Redshirts on the bridge and no way to "peaceout" out of there with the Oldman...
WF6Xl7r.jpg

So I reloaded and went the way of Knockout Factory... I think I shuffled them for good 2 minutes before the Lord appeared... The two Yuki-chan is massaging need to be dragged into bushes as well.
u7bxjYQ.jpg

And then you have to crawl through a slightly more difficult but same path backwards. Shit level reuse. At least the Temple had a secret exist...

zool

Arcane
So can someone shed some light on how Mimimi Entertainement went from making shitty kids games to producing a worthy successor to Commandos and Desperados out of the blue?

They're a German studio, right? Did they get their hands on some of Spellbound's former employees who worked on Desperados and Robin Hood?

On closer examination, Shadow Tactics seems closer to Desperados than Commandos in several different aspects (storytelling, art, etc.). Also, the 5 playable characters are exact replicas of their Desperados counterparts :

Hayato = Cooper
Mugen = Sanchez
Tanaka = Doc
Aiko = Kate
Yuki = Mia

Only Sam is missing.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
all coming with a great gameplay which kept Commandos' and Desperados' good ideas and improved on them.
Where is the improvement? I've started the demo and it looks like a Desperados rip-off (which improved Commandos immensely). They've even included quick action. The only improvement I can see is that you can rotate the camera.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yuki = Mia
Only Sam is missing.
Yuki = Sam. Trap = Snake! Mia is incorporated into Tanaka (raccoon dog = monkey) and Aiko (firework = blinding powder).
Unless you just mean personality archetype, in which case, yeah, pretty much.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Game is good fun. Nice surprise. Id also say its closer to Desperados than Commandos.

Harpsichord

Arcane
all coming with a great gameplay which kept Commandos' and Desperados' good ideas and improved on them.
Where is the improvement? I've started the demo and it looks like a Desperados rip-off (which improved Commandos immensely). They've even included quick action. The only improvement I can see is that you can rotate the camera.
I haven't played Desperados but what makes it better than Commandos is that there's a lot more room for creativity in approaching the obstacles.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

"rip-off" lol

The entire UI and general game usability is already a massive improvement from Desperados. The UI there was carcinogenic.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Best thing is about the game different maps with different gimmicks. Snowy areas, night missions, showering rains in rice fields and warzones hiding your loud weapon effects. Different enemy types with different reactions. While normal guys just relit a doused torch, samurais get suspicious and search are a bit probably finding your poor Yuki inside a nearby bush...
Good amount of possible "accidents" in some maps. And accidents are not instant alarm like Commandos/Desperados so we are free to use them.
Also much better combo potential than Desperados.
Controls, UI and aesthetics are top notch. Story is very cliché.

Only things I miss from Desperados are tying unconscious enemies and being able to beat enemies inside houses.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The entire UI and general game usability is already a massive improvement from Desperados. The UI there was carcinogenic.
No it wasn't and yeah, it's a rip-off except there are less characters. Also, Quick Action in Desperados works much better than Shadow mode (in ST sometimes it won't execute for no reason and doing the same thing without this mode is more efficient, e.g. shuriken+stab, same goes for doing action that I want to do while running or while being crouched). Pathifinding was also better, here I have to click on bushes to climb down.

Edit:
Best thing is about the game different maps with different gimmicks. Snowy areas, night missions, showering rains in rice fields and warzones hiding your loud weapon effects.
This was in Desperados too (except the snow).

Good amount of possible "accidents" in some maps. And accidents are not instant alarm like Commandos/Desperados so we are free to use them.
Going by the example DR gave, enemies must be retards if they think that several people getting run over by a cart is just an accident not worth investigating, especially considering the circumstances (civil war basically).

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
it's a rip-off except there are less characters.

How can it be a "rip-off" when it's openly calling itself something using the same formula?

Also lol @ "less characters", when the 6th character in Desperados you get for, what, the last 3 missions?

Also, Quick Action in Desperados works much better than Shadow mode (in ST sometimes it won't execute for no reason and doing the same thing without this mode is more efficient, e.g. shuriken+stab).

You have to be shitting me. The quick action in Desperados is so clunky and unreliable that it doesn't work more often than it does. The entire interface is so ass-backwards that the main difficulty in the first even 10 missions is wrestling with that shit, and some of its clunkiness never goes away even until the very end.

I've also never had the shadow mode not process properly so far.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
This was in Desperados too (except the snow).

Night missions are a lot better than Desperados, standing near any light source is pretty lethal and enemies constantly relit doused fires.

Going by the example DR gave, enemies must be retards if they think that several people getting run over by a cart is just an accident not worth investigating, especially considering the circumstances (civil war basically).

:roll:
At least this game has patrols that investigate when somebody who they chat on their route is gone missing. Also they investigate the accidents too, they just don't raise an alarm(unless they see some footprints nearby). Also different enemies have different reactions, strawhats never abondon their posts and samurais investigate tiniest "anamoly" with care, checking every possible hiding spot near it.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also lol @ "less characters", when the 6th character in Desperados you get for, what, the last 3 missions?
Well ... Shadow Tactics is a little weaker than Desperados in the character area.

Code:
COOPER  SHOOTING      HITTING  STABBING  KNIFE THROW   POCKETWATCH
SAM     SHOOTING      DYNAMITE TYING UP  SNAKE         TNT BARREL
DOC     SHOOTING      SNIPING  GAS       HEALING       “DOUBLE UP”
KATE    SHOOTING      CARDS    SEDUCTION POCKET MIRROR KICK
SANCHEZ SHOOTING      TEQUILA  SIESTA    RIFLE BUTT    THROWN ROCK
MIA     INSANITY DART FLUTE    FIREWORKS PEANUTS       MR LEONE

HAYATO HITTING STABBING SHURIKEN       MATCHLOCK THROWN STONE
YUKI   HITTING STABBING TRAP           FLUTE     MATCHLOCK
MUGEN  HITTING STABBING SWORD WIND     MATCHLOCK THROWN ROCK  SAKE
AIKO   HITTING STABBING SNEEZE POTION  MATCHLOCK DISGUISE
TAKUMA SNIPING GRENADE  MATCHLOCK      TANUKI

Eliminate duplicates and minor variations and you're left with

Code:
COOPER  POCKETWATCH
SAM     DYNAMITE    TYING UP  
DOC     “DOUBLE UP”
KATE    CARDS
SANCHEZ SIESTA
MIA     INSANITY DART

HAYATO
YUKI
MUGEN
AIKO
TAKUMA
So ... every Desperados character could do something you don't see in Shadow Tactics, and none of the maneuvers in Shadow Tactics are new.

At least this game has patrols that investigate when somebody who they chat on their route is gone missing.
Desperados did this too.

Also different enemies have different reactions, strawhats never abondon their posts and samurais investigate tiniest "anamoly" with care, checking every possible hiding spot near it.
You must be joking to suggest that 3 different enemy types is more sophisticated than Desperados. EVERY enemy in Desperados had his own AI settings. Although there were some patterns (soldiers tended to stay at their posts more often than bandits ... fat guys usually fell for tequila or seduction), you could never tell how anyone was going to react to something until you tried it.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So ... every Desperados character could do something you don't see in Shadow Tactics, and none of the maneuvers in Shadow Tactics are new.

Pooper's pocketwatch is Takuma's tanuki.
Dynamite is the same as the grenade.
Gunpowder barrel is for the most part an item used only for mission objectives, not all that different from the standalone barrels in ST mission 1.
No tying up is a good thing because it makes non-lethal runs hard. Tying up makes lethal and non-lethal runs near-identical.
Cards I've always found largely redundant given the amount of other decoys you have at hand. Plus, footprints can largely accomplish the same function in ST.

That leaves only the double up (yet another decoy), siesta (kinda sorta more or less similar to bushes) and insanity dart (the only really unique thing that's missing).

Meanwhile, you're completely neglecting to mention the added mobility that Yuki, Aiko and Hayato have with the hookshot and the jumping from roof to roof, and all the options this unlocks, including dropdown kills. So much for "none of the manoeuvres are new". This generally makes Shadow Tictacs make much more prominent use of verticality than Commandos and Desperados ever did.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron

Eh, there are minor "ninja" stuff like grapling hooks and killing enemies from above. Also Mugen can use carry and throw rocks to kill enemies in rocky/mountain areas and throw bodies to stun enemies.

Desperados did this too.

Not often as SD and not as lethal as SD.

EVERY enemy in Desperados had his own AI settings.

Eh, finished Desperados in august and killed %98 of enemies with Kate's karete kick in maps she's available. %2 of them are randomly gay and shoot her. Soldiers are the only ones really resisting her charms, most of the time.

the only really unique thing that's missing

Well, there is no gatling gun and we cannot win bar/house fights like we did with Sanchez. :love: that ugly bastardo.

Edit: Mugen should able to use bows and arrows btw.

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
Desperados rip-off (which improved Commandos immensely)
Please go back to ITS or their shit subforum and never return. Desperados only improved in one area only. In retardation and popamole.

Well ... Shadow Tactics is a little weaker than Desperados in the character area. ... Eliminate duplicates and minor variations and you're left with
And it doesnt matter because playing Desperados with those shit abilities is a hilarious pain. While the faaar better solution to literally select all and shoot at a corner so that the whole town runs to you while you shoot and reload. The fucking game has even an icon for 'all guns selected'. Roffles.

how Mimimi Entertainement went from making shitty kids games to producing
University students create a studio while studying. Their tablet shit wasnt a rehash of some 'pay to win' garbage either. There was some ambition and innovation even in the garbage.
The afro man is the creative lead, 29 years old now.
BjLBVyU.jpg

Zombra

Patron
You're completely neglecting to mention the added mobility that Yuki, Aiko and Hayato have with the hookshot and the jumping from roof to roof, and all the options this unlocks, including dropdown kills. So much for "none of the manoeuvres are new". This generally makes Shadow Tictacs make much more prominent use of verticality than Commandos and Desperados ever did.
Agreed, ST is a 3D game, this was never in dispute. "Moving around the map" isn't really a new thing though, even if being a sweet ninja on a rooftop looks cool. Desperados even had varying mobility among the characters: only Cooper could climb stuff, and only Doc could provide access to locked doors. Nothing fundamentally new here.

Desperados did [investigations] too.
Not often as SD and not as lethal as SD.
No, but it's not because Shadow Tactics is more sophisticated or doing something new; it's because fewer enemies in Desperados were given investigator AI as a deliberate choice for level design. They could have made every enemy in the world investigate every disturbance but they chose not to.

EVERY enemy in Desperados had his own AI settings.
Eh, finished Desperados in august and killed %98 of enemies with Kate's karete kick in maps she's available. %2 of them are randomly gay and shoot her. Soldiers are the only ones really resisting her charms, most of the time.
Kate's ass was definitely overpowered, but that doesn't disprove the point that 3 enemy types in ST is dumbed down from 100s of different AI configurations in Desperados.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Agreed, ST is a 3D game, this was never in dispute. "Moving around the map" isn't really a new thing though, even if being a sweet ninja on a rooftop looks cool. Desperados even had varying mobility among the characters: only Cooper could climb stuff, and only Doc could provide access to locked doors. Nothing fundamentally new here.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Nigga, leave.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
And it doesnt matter because playing Desperados with those shit abilities is a hilarious pain. While the faaar better solution to literally select all and shoot at a corner so that the whole town runs to you while you shoot and reload.
And it's another reason why Desperados is better. Here you can't even left click on a character to choose him, you either have to click a number or a portrait and selecting all is useless and a pain because if you want to attack with a group you can do it only using shadow mode (which often doesn't work as it should). And yes, shooting everyone was possible in Desperados but it was the easy mode, that's why I've finished the game without shooting anybody and later without killing anybody (except for the last 2 missions). The only thing so far that is the improvement in ST are the badges and more elaborate statistics, otherwise it's inferior to Desperados. There weren't such dumb things like Takuma talking to himself for example (first mission, he was talking to the player saying what we need to do).

BTW, can you use horses to knock down opponents in ST (by cutting their stirrup or whatever it's called or by frightening the horse)?

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
There qere quite a few :)

While quicksaving and quickloading is a huge part of the core experience we felt that it would be best to TRY to reduce it as much as we can. Just out of fear that gamers today wouldnt "feel" it and be annoyed by the game. We thus looked for a feature that would let you escape when beeing seen and invented something we called "Freeze Mode". There were multiple iterations of it, here are some examples:

1) When you are seen the game freezes and you can teleport to a certain position in a radius around you. That turned out to be very irritating. In hectic situations people would smash buttons to escape and just trigger the teleport randomly. Also feedback wasnt great there.

2) We tried something of thre same cocnept but you could only teleport to a spot you had been to in the last X seconds. So you could sort of "rewind" that one character's movement. This still had the problems mentioned earlier and also wasnt intuitive. We then kept iterating and iterating and it just never felt right.

In the end we just settled for a Slowmo that starts when you are seen like in the Metal Gear games. Getting that right was also quite interessting. The perception of how fast you are and if the slow motion is actually a BENEFIT is pretty funny. People woul dthink they are slower, even though they were faster. Stuff like that. In the end we found that clean solution that most people dont even realize... but it works.

Of course we would have loved to try out a "rewind" feature instead of quickloading but that just was out of the question tech-wise. To implement something like this and make it worth it, it needs to be tied together more with gameplay. So that was not an option :)

Another huge topic was Shadow Mode. We had versions that were a lot more complex. You could chain multiple actions per character. But what we realized was that people just wanted MORE of that. They expected timelines where they could order commands etc. That would have resulted in a completely different experience and Shadow Tactics would almost have been a turn based game. So we cut back on all of that and made it a simple and clean thing where you can perform one action per character.
The dark side always lurks nearby...

I wanna see how the console controls look...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Here you can't even left click on a character to choose him, you either have to click a number or a portrait and selecting all is useless and a pain because if you want to attack with a group
You are literally retarded.
Didn't notice that right click works, whatever. It just shows that controls in St are counterintuitive, you're doing everything with left click here (even selecting your character by clicking on a portrait) but for this right click is used.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom