Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Seven Dragon Saga December Update: First Screenshots

Severian Silk

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The rotating camera was my least favorite thing in AoD too.

And I would also like more information on how this is a successor to the Gold Box games, other than it's the same people working on it.

Dorateen

Arcane
And I would also like more information on how this is a successor to the Gold Box games

It depends on what you expect from a "spiritual successor". Visually, Seven Dragon Saga will not look like the Gold Box Games. However, based on previous information, the game will involve controlling a party of 6 characters in turn-based, tactical combat in a fantasy setting. Those points are derived straight out of the AD&D Gold Box titles.

Being a successor specific to the Gold Box games is a bit misleading. This project is more a successor to SSI's productions as a whole. Even back in the '90's, the developers had already moved on from the Gold Box engine and gave us Dark Sun, which is also quite different. Dave Shelley seems to indicate that there will be some Dark Sun influence in Seven Dragon Saga as well.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is this some sort of meme? WTF would you not want a rotating camera? That's the first thing I enabled in DOS.

Because it sucks. When playing a game with rotating camera, I usually spend too much time playing with it just to see stuff, which is annoying.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Can we slippery slope this into character generation, leveling systems, skill diversification, difficulty options, etc, so that you popamoles are happy already?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Can we slippery slope this into character generation, leveling systems, skill diversification, difficulty options, etc, so that you popamoles are happy already?
Can I tell you to go fuck yourself while we talk about the things that are actually relevant to the thread?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mm. I'm irrationally looking forward to this game.

There are no direct investment options at this time. Seems to me they have the following options available to them:

1. Self publish
2. Line up a deal with a small time publisher
3. Launch another crowd funding campaign in 2016

Self-publish online and line up a deal for physical media.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I don't know of anyone who complained that the Infinity Engine games didn't have a rotating camera. Why all the newer games need one is beyond me, or maybe the designers are just too lazy to make it work without rotation.

Xenich

Cipher
I think the biggest problem, was that as the forefathers of the Gold Box Games, they needed to continue to build upon that legacy that they created. And need to communicate that point with this new game.

That is a good point, I agree. I would have liked to see a more modern approach to that style and interface, but still firmly rooted in its past presentation (windowed exploration and text input/ui/etc..., chess style combat similar to the ollder games, etc...). That and to see them churn those puppies out like they used to with a modular engine that allows new content quickly to be created (FRUA style).

imweasel

WTF would you not want a rotating camera? That's the first thing I enabled in DOS.
The approach in D:OS is the best.

I always turn camera rotation on because that is what I prefer, but D:OS is still perfectly playable with a static camera for people who dislike rotating.

It still looks too damn derivative, wish they'd differentiate themselves from the hordes of infinity engine games populating my game library.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinity Engine games have real time with pause combat. Sven Dragon Saga differentiates itself by being turn-based.

I meant the visuals.

Right. But superficial stuff like that doesn't concern me. Seven Dragon Saga will distinguish itself in areas that matter, such as combat and game mechanics.
That's my hope. The visual style is perfectly fine/adequate/enough as long as they nail the tactical party based combat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
the game will involve controlling a party of 6 characters in turn-based, tactical combat in a fantasy setting.
How very generic. Goldbox obviously just thrown in for the typical kickstarter wave riding.

Well TSI has former SSI employees and their most enduring legacy is the Gold Box series.

I'm sure some grognards remember their strategy games but this isn't one.

It has more potential than its looks suggest, wish it would distinguish itself more. Agree on combat and such. The first vids looked more compelling, hopefully they will keep the brilliant sound effects. I preferred the more flashy, less subdued look of the earlier build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom