Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
My excitement went from off the chart retarded nostalgia to very low based on anime setting/botched website launch. That said, I'm glad to live in a world where launching your studio based on Gold Box nostalgia is a thing.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
tumblr_m39xifF88s1r8y8m6o1_400_large.gif

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
lollin at the "Western fantasy is okay but Eastern fantasy is TERRIBLE" itt

Eastern fantasy as filtered through westerners is terrible incidentally.

System looks like a bad, convoluted D&D-derivative to me.
You could at least bother to actually read it and call it a GURPS/The Dark Eye-hybrid. I've been reading everything and see nothing that screams "D&D".
I was thinking specifically of the d20 with the mandatory crit and failure rolls, and their pseudo-sim attributes.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I actually like the setting, but then I am a wuxia films fan and do not mind watching anime, if it is good.

Definitely interested in this, even more so now than if they announced another generic fantasy game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Oh, FFS... there's so many things wrong we could DISCUSS about, but apparently no one is even reading the page before posting. So much for RPG players like to read...

THE GAME DOES NOT HAVE A EASTERN SETTING, it's like Numenera: Fantasy with some Sci-Fi stuff on top. Knights, Mages, Rogues and shit. Fucking Elves and Dwarves. There's not even a single monk. The flashy & anime stuff comes from the abilities list and the fact that they play with a lot of points, so every character can do a lot of stuff. You can play with a guy with a sword that teleports around the battlefield and cast necromantic spells, "like in a anime".

The only thing wuxia-inspired are the weapon stunts, that are special moves you can perform when attacking and have kung-fu-like names:

hRIbYcq.png

So less drama, plox.

I was thinking specifically of the d20 with the mandatory crit and failure rolls, and their pseudo-sim attributes.
The attributes are exactly like those of GURPS, it has nothing to do with D&D. You just saw "d20" written somewhere and went out to talk some bullshit.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Shhh relax.
Put your hand under the skirt.
tumblr_mp8hgdrHlN1sq9yswo1_500.gif

Feel the dongs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The attributes are exactly like those of GURPS, it has nothing to do with D&D. You just saw "d20" written somewhere and went out to talk some bullshit.
No, I'm pretty sure in GURPS dexterity doesn't increase light weapon damage and constitution and charisma aren't rolled into one stat. It also doesn't use d20s.

Yes, there is some GURPS influence here but since I'm not that familiar with it I didn't mention it. Cargo cult is cargo cult though.

buzz

Arcane
3rfbndD.png

One of his favorite RPGs is Disgaea so, draw your own conclusions about where his loyalties lie! :troll:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, FFS... there's so many things wrong we could DISCUSS about, but apparently no one is even reading the page before posting. So much for RPG players like to read...

THE GAME DOES NOT HAVE A EASTERN SETTING, it's like Numenera: Fantasy with some Sci-Fi stuff on top. Knights, Mages, Rogues and shit. Fucking Elves and Dwarves. There's not even a single monk. The flashy & anime stuff comes from the abilities list and the fact that they play with a lot of points, so every character can do a lot of stuff. You can play with a guy with a sword that teleports around the battlefield and cast necromantic spells, "like in a anime".

The only thing wuxia-inspired are the weapon stunts, that are special moves you can perform when attacking and have kung-fu-like names:

hRIbYcq.png

So less drama, plox.

I really do appreciate the Cliffnotes description felipepepe which does somewhat alleviate my apprehension with their setting but want to actually see some concept artwork before getting my hopes up.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
No, I'm pretty sure in GURPS dexterity doesn't increase light weapon damage and constitution and charisma aren't rolled into one stat.
Oh, so having a point-buy system and the exact same attributes doesn't matter, what matters is that dexterity increase light weapon damage... something that you need a feat to do in D&D, BTW. :roll:

It also doesn't use d20s.
USES A d20 FOR ATTACK ROLLS = D&D clone. Right. Go play PoE or fap to Sawyer, Roguey.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roguey is just looking for a new thread to call home since he's sworn himself to celibacy from the Pillars of Eternity beta.

Which is a bit heretical, if you think about it, because Josh promised the beta doesn't have spoilers. Why don't you believe Josh, Roguey? :o

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh, so having a point-buy system and the exact same attributes doesn't matter, what matters is that dexterity increase light weapon damage... something that you need a feat to do in D&D, BTW. :roll:
There are optional point buy rules for D&D as well. And yeah, the number is the same and the names are (mostly) the same, but the effects are slightly different. Instead of being a sim it's pseudo-sim.

USES A d20 FOR ATTACK ROLLS = D&D clone. Right. Go play PoE or fap to Sawyer, Roguey.
What a silly semantics argument. I never said "it's a clone of D&D and only D&D." The D&D parts stuck out for me. :P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey is just looking for a new thread to call home since he's sworn to celibacy from the Pillars of Eternity beta.

Which is a bit heretical, if you think about it, because Josh promised the beta doesn't have spoilers. Why don't you believe Josh, Roguey? :o
It's more like I don't feel like reading PoE beta criticisms. That's the job of the Obsidian employees who lurk here.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Honestly, technicalities of the system apart, my main gripe is how tame the abilities are. There are two "absurd" ones: teleport and walking through doors, but the rest is just usual GURPS stuff; magic spells, dual wielding, more HP, more damage, more initiative, professions, etc... 3D&T is much more creative in this regard.

Alex

Arcane
felipepepe
The last time I read a "Defensores de Tóquio" book was about 15 years ago. It wasn't so much a book as a special edition of the "Dragão Brasil" magazine. So, sorry, but I really don't remember. I do wonder, however, what the hell is up with those statistics:
7dragonsaga.com said:
Strength
Crafting and movement skills. Lifting things and improving the damage of any weapon.

Dexterity
Agility and thieving skills. Improving the damage on light weapons.

Spirit
Social skills. Improving Hit Points.

Intelligence
Knowledge, mystic and perception skills. Improving the damage of spells.

That said, I will wait for more info. I am not a big fan of buying "abilities", as in, special actions you can do, like the walk through doors thing. I would rather have "feats" that can be used in different ways. Like, instead of an ability like "HP Boost", you could have an ability like "though as nails", that does, indeed, give you more HP, but also affects the game wherever being "though as nails" would. Still, if they implement a lot of that stuff, the game could be interesting. I have yet to see a CRPG where fast draw would be an important ability.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I remain cautious. My wallet went from wide open to sewn shut, though. They'll have to do a lot to convince this Gold-Box fan that they deserve to even mention that they were once part of that greatness.

Gozma

Arcane
These guys really know their audience of Gold Box nostalgics huh. They feel that pulse

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom