Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
HHR and Roguey trolling a single thread is too much for me.
I wanted to be enthused, but these cargo cults insist on being disappointments.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be a proper cargo cult, they would have to be emulating some sort of behaviour. What, pray tell, are they trying to duplicate?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To be a proper cargo cult, they would have to be emulating some sort of behaviour. What, pray tell, are they trying to duplicate?
System looks like a bad, convoluted D&D-derivative to me.

mondblut

Arcane
The system is designed to model many of the cool effects seen in anime and wuxia (foreign martial arts) films. So the feeling is over-the-top fun, but still balanced to provide challenge and interest.

nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif

I immediately lost all interest.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It's the Final Countdown to Doomsday.
We're heading for Venus.
We had a lot of luck on Venus
We always had a ball on Mars
Meeting all the groovy people
We've rocked the Milky Way so far
We danced around with Borealis
We're space truckin' round the the stars
Come on let's go Space Truckin'

Edit: anime & wuxia :decline:, 7 dragon saga is cheesy title, etc.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
The system is designed to model many of the cool effects seen in anime and wuxia (foreign martial arts) films. So the feeling is over-the-top fun, but still balanced to provide challenge and interest.

Hmmm, even if the art style isn't anime?

There are few, if any settings I abhor more than the "martial arts" vomit. They are right there with comic superheroes and anime filth. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I don't want you back any longer, SSI.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Funny thing, I've finished reading the available texts, and it actually reminds me a lot of a brazilian P&P system called 3D&T... don't you agree, Alex ?

One mistake that 3D&T does that this might have as well is the character stats. You have only 4 stats: Strength, Dexterity, Spirit and Intelligence. And you have 30 points to distribute among them, BUT it uses a summation system, so increasing Strength to 5 cost 15 points. The article itself states that you can make a character with 7-1-1-0 in the attribute scores, and reading the rules I can't but think that just like in 3D&T dumping everything in Dexterity makes you a God, since it regulates both damage and defense.

Also, here's the race, class and specialization list:

Nw935nS.png

Specialties are adjectives you add to your class. So your full title would be "Fast Dwarf Knight", or "Necromantic Imperial Wizard".

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You guys are reading too much into it. You roll a bro with 4 attributes, then use points to buy "abilities", that can range from using magic to whatever the fuck they want. Apparently classes are just presets that you can customize, similar to D:OS, really.

Of course, the abilities are locked behind a password.... so no idea if you can spend 50 points to buy a Kamehameha or Hadoken.

Alchemist

Arcane
If they really go the wuxia route they are seriously limiting their audience. Most people who want a Gold Box reboot probably want a traditional D&D-like setting.

Repressed Homosexual
I still can't wrap my mind around Dragonball + Numegaya mixed in a single game, how can it be anything but absolutely horrible?

And they've also said they "don't want to make it too hard to calculate for the casual player" in the thread Infinitron posted. Urrrgh.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Late SSI wasn't good creatively.

They made the horrible Panzer General series.
They made dumbed down Wh40k Steel Panthers.
They managed to decline their Wh40k offer by making a horrible Panzer General clone set in Wh40k.
They also made some RTS crap.
Wasn't Panzer General a big financial success btw?
Their last games were a mixed bags but some of their best ones happened at that time (Steel Panthers, Chaos Gate)
I wish they were making a new Steel Panthers and Chaos Gate instead of this actually (and a true Steel Panthers 40K).

Hmmm, even if the art style isn't anime?

There are few, if any settings I abhor more than the "martial arts" vomit. They are right there with comic superheroes and anime filth. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I don't want you back any longer, SSI.

I can't understand how anybody, especially adults can enjoy martial arts and weaboo anime crap. More than half the RPG's people talk about on the internet outside of codex is bunch of jap weaboo shit, it makes me fucking rage, WTF is wrong with people?

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If they really go the wuxia route they are seriously limiting their audience. Most people who want a Gold Box reboot probably want a traditional D&D-like setting.

Agreed. Even a pretty generic fantasy setting would be great since we want Gold Box nostalgia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom