Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unfortunately, we're not going to do that reveal tonight... for business reasons.
perhaps they feel that launching a KS campaign during the summer holydays isn't the right time?

Wouldn't it actually be a good time because of "game draught"? As in, since not much else is going on this time of year, there's a good chance they have little to no competition and maximum attention.

Duraframe300

Arcane
David Shelley — Main writer for SDS, and Lead Designer at TSI, a start-up of SSI alumni aiming to recreate the excitement of classic CRPGs using modern tools and style.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seven Dragon Saga (SDS) is an unpublished paper and pencil fantasy RPG, which and I my friends have been developing for many years. I may a convert it to a single player computer game in the near future, so I thought I would talk about some of the choices we made and the reasoning behind them. I’m hoping the insight into our processes may help others who want to tweak their favorite system or even create their own.

My friends and I are all designers and engineers in the computer game industry, so we approached things from a technical perspective. The system is designed to model many of the cool effects seen in anime and wuxia (foreign martial arts) films. So the feeling is over-the-top fun, but still balanced to provide challenge and interest.
:desu:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
SO it IS going to be a cRPG.

:yeah:

Well, that was fairly obvious even going by the first press release and the stuff they've been posting on Facebook, but yeah, now we even know the ruleset they're going to use. Somebody check it out and see if it's any good.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Seven Dragon Saga (SDS) is an unpublished paper and pencil fantasy RPG, which and I my friends have been developing for many years. I may a convert it to a single player computer game in the near future, so I thought I would talk about some of the choices we made and the reasoning behind them. I’m hoping the insight into our processes may help others who want to tweak their favorite system or even create their own.

My friends and I are all designers and engineers in the computer game industry, so we approached things from a technical perspective. The system is designed to model many of the cool effects seen in anime and wuxia (foreign martial arts) films. So the feeling is over-the-top fun, but still balanced to provide challenge and interest.
:desu:

To be fair, something like GURPS has martial arts and superpower supplements too. Over-the-top fun may actually make for a better game than the usual low-level whack-put to sleep-whack-whack.

I'm actually hoping for a superhero or, at worst, sci-fi RPG now. :P (Though I'll take just any, of course.) New Buck Rogers game, please.

Dorateen

Arcane
I've been going over the system this afternoon, those parts that are not locked behind password protection. Will probably take a while to grasp, and even then, it's hard to say how it will be implemented in the computer version.

The setting has elves, shade elves, dwarves and a bunch of unique races it looks like.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Reading their campaign setting, it IS sci-fi. Very similar to Numemera in some points, even.

I especially like the ranged weapons chart, that goes from "Sling" to "Lostech Hyper Cannon".

Alchemist

Arcane
The point-based character building and simulationist focus make it sound GURPSy so far. They said you might need a spreadsheet when building a character. :incline:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
yeah, these are the same dragon:

DwNkmGB.png

cropped-web-header21.png

Repressed Homosexual
Looks like another convoluted over the top mess that everyone will lose interest for within a few weeks/months like Numegaya.

Codexers don't even want to consider that these guys might be burned out and trying to make easy mobile friendly stuff.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wow, it's amazing how Joshua Eric Sawyer is literally the only RPG designer worth a damn. I was expecting garbage, and boy I found it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'll both give them props and laugh at them for combining charisma and constitution. At least they understand charisma has no business as an attribute, unlike inXile and Larian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom