Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Rex gonna Rex.

"Why are we excited for GTA V after GTA IV turned out to be a boring turd of a game?"
Because The Ballad of Gay Tony was fun.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But because in some cases, it's trying to hard to find vague similarities.

Not to mention how stupid and stretching are the last three categories. "You are thwarted by evil", really? That is, like, so unique to bioware games!!

Well, while some portions of this chart are questionable (like dream sequence, sinister organization and some others), an observation that Bioware tends to reuse plot elements, like 4 hubs, which player needs to complete to save the world, or companion archetypes, or aforementioned saving the world is spot on.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Well, while some portions of this chart are questionable (like dream sequence, sinister organization and some others), an observation that Bioware tends to reuse plot elements, like 4 hubs, which player needs to complete to save the world, or companion archetypes, or aforementioned saving the world is spot on.
They also reuse stock photos, music from movies and the like.

Kotaku commenter about DA:I:
cJNASqs.png
Daggerfall is well know for the recycling of scenery, so i don't think this is rage worthy. He didn't talk about not wanting the character creation of Daggerfall for example.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I will take all the recycled stuff in daggerfall over the radiant shit in Skyrim thank you.
It's not like Bethesda don't uses recycled stuff in their modern games either. So there you go, oldskooll features because Bethesda cares for their old time fans :troll:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
And then the "recycled" stuff in Daggerfall is randomly generated each time while in Oblivion—and I assume Skyrim but I only ask to be proven wrong—each dungeon is made by hand but ends up feeling the same anyway because there's little to make them distinct from each other.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And then the "recycled" stuff in Daggerfall is randomly generated each time

No, it was randomly created once but the game is the same every time you start it anew. It doesn't create its dungeons randomly for each playthrough, the world is the same for everyone.

Luzur

Good Sir
well Privateers Hold (and the last dungeon) is "locked" so to say, but the other dungeons are generated at the first start.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Fuck off, there's nothing wrong with checking out /v/ every now and then.

It doesn't mean much. Most young gamers trade back nearly all their games after they've completed them because they have limited money. Especially if it's not multiplayer. It only means that GTA IV was spectacularly popular.

I don't think Skyrim had so many copies floating around in the pre-owned section.

Everyone brought it IV, everyone played and it and the image I posted sums up the general consensus, "meh".

And it is overbashed. It's not an "Oscar-worthy game", but there are a lot of things it did right.

Like what?

As a standalone game, it's "meh", but judged against its predecessors, it's a pretty big step back in every respect, including the writing.

Vice City and San Andreas were smarter than they appeared, whereas IV was a lot less intelligent than it was trying to be.

It's not overbashed, IV is truly indefensible.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin

No, it was randomly created once but the game is the same every time you start it anew. It doesn't create its dungeons randomly for each playthrough, the world is the same for everyone.

well Privateers Hold (and the last dungeon) is "locked" so to say, but the other dungeons are generated at the first start.

Hm. So if I understand correctly, when you start a new game then it will create the dungeons for your install of the game and keep them that way for each subsequent characters you create? Is that right? So if you'd want to "reset" the game, you'd have to make a new installation?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

# I have never owned a console with a memory card.

# I have used the word "geek" in regards to Pokémon players.

# I have spent real world money for cosmetic options for my character (and regret it).

I suck at bingo, I know.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

* I save and reload whenever the fuck I feel like it.

* I haven't used the word "Geek" to refer to adult pokemon fans, although I have used the word "Creepy".

* I think people should set the difficulty to whatever they want.

* I can't think of a Nintendo franchise other than those listed. Edit: Tetris?

* I've never played a JRPG. The idea makes me feel sick to my stomach, really.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah that casual bingo thing is too focused on console gaming. I never owned any console at all, so in their eyes I'm probably a casual too.

It's bingo though. You aren't a winner unless you get 5 in a row anyway.

Hm. So if I understand correctly, when you start a new game then it will create the dungeons for your install of the game and keep them that way for each subsequent characters you create? Is that right? So if you'd want to "reset" the game, you'd have to make a new installation?

My understanding is that all dungeon layouts are pre-generated and remain static throughout every game. Enemies/loot certainly are generated when you enter the dungeon, and quests and randomly generated and will randomly select a nearby dungeon to be the location where it takes place (which causes additional quest-related stuff to spawn somewhere).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Dungeons in Skyrim is a little bit small to be honest. I been doing video runs and was surprised most dungeons lasted barely 5-10 minutes per run. Mind you, I'm playing it stealthily too. So it's not like I run in with a 2 hander just wtf-pwning everybody.

But people saying 'they're all too similar to each other' is a little bit exaggerated. Some are nicely done with elevated platforms. Though the AI movement is still abysmal.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Non-main-quest dungeons in Daggerfall consist of big blocks. These blocks have corridors leading in and out of them just like puzzle pieces have connections. Generation of a dungeon is just the process of sticking some blocks together and making sure they fit. I don't think there was anything random about it except possibly at the development stage; these huge dungeons really consist of just a few blocks. That's why after some time you notice that whole sections of dungeons repeat in exactly the same way; even the enemies stand in the same place, and each block has one possible location for a quest object, so eventually you know exactly where to look for it after reaching the given block. The only uncertainty comes from the lack of knowledge about which blocks are connected to the current one and in which block the quest object is.

...that's why it's so much more fun to play the main quest dungeons.

God, I played this game for too long... ;)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It happened to me exactly once. (Played for hundreds of hours.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom