Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The only such instance I've seen in many many years that I had any beef with was when Heimdallur in the Thor film was made to be black.

It didn't offend me in any way, it just struck me as political correctness going too far, but I can only speak for myself. Because the source material for Thor is the Edda, which is the account of Ásgarður, its gods, giants, monsters and realms. In other words, it's a religion. Someone in Hollywood thought it was no problem to deviate from a religious text to make a character be black instead of white.

I'd like to see a major Hollywood blockbuster star Jesus Christ in a supporting role and have him be black. Better yet, I'd like to see him be an Arab, which is most likely what he was. Can you people imagine the shitstorm that would ensue?

As for the argument if why he can't be black, there is only one argument: This is the religion of people living in the northernmost regions of Europe. You simply did not find black people that far up north 1000 years ago.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only such instance I've seen in many many years that I had any beef with was when Heimdallur in the Thor film was made to be black.

It didn't offend me in any way, it just struck me as political correctness going too far, but I can only speak for myself. Because the source material for Thor is the Edda, which is the account of Ásgarður, its gods, giants, monsters and realms. In other words, it's a religion. Someone in Hollywood thought it was no problem to deviate from a religious text to make a character be black instead of white.

Source material for Thor are the Marvel funnybooks which have only as much in common with the Edda as the current writer knows/allows, which usually isn't much. Stop trying to drag dead religions into it, might as well bitch about greek gods depictions being insulting to original Hellenic pagans.

I'd like to see a major Hollywood blockbuster star Jesus Christ in a supporting role and have him be black. Better yet, I'd like to see him be an Arab, which is most likely what he was. Can you people imagine the shitstorm that would ensue?

Judas in the original JCS movie adaptation was black :troll:

Tehdagah

Arcane
"Racebending"

They are a bunch of hacks.

I love how they ignore the fact that jews are the favorited group in Hollywood.

Edit: Racebending omits facts and changes the context of things all the time, too.

Last edited:
As for the argument if why he can't be black, there is only one argument: This is the religion of people living in the northernmost regions of Europe. You simply did not find black people that far up north 1000 years ago.
Well, as @evdk here already said, that it's just a comic books franchise, loosely related to actual Nordic myths. But in my opinion, naming something "Asgard", retaining the names of deities, and casting POC as said deities is still retarded. It's like naming, I don't know, Chinese kindergarten choir "Totenkopf". Only less amusing.

It's like that silly show "Merlin". Ok, fine, you want black servant girl as Guinevere and her equally black bro as a knight of a Round Table. Just rename the show, toss out the connection to Arthurian myths. And voila, gone the reason for a nerdrage. But no, we can't, because fuck logic, and praise diversity. I wouldn't be bothered by it, if fans of this shite hadn't intermingled with GoT fandom and regularly demanded POCs in GoT. Citing this programme as an example of a good TV.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
@Stainless Veteran It's all about money - they want to keep the Arthurian connection, because it's easier to market then a random knock off (ignoring the fact that it will have only superficial connection to the original Arthurian myths (which are a mess of retcons and updates anyway) in either case).

@Stainless Veteran It's all about money - they want to keep the Arthurian connection, because it's easier to market then a random knock off (ignoring the fact that it will have only superficial connection to the original Arthurian myths (which are a mess of retcons and updates anyway) in either case).
Yeah, I get that. But nether retcons nor updates could explain how the hell did medieval Britain have gotten a black population. I know that this is just dumb TV show, and wanting them to explain it as, for example "leftovers from Roman Empire", or at least something other than ~racial diversity yay!!~ is pointless. If only it wouldn't have been used this often in discussions, screenshots and so on as an example of a good series (mainly because of POCs and inevitable homoerotic vibes between Merlin and Arthur).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not Hollywood, but Jesus was black in Brazil's movie "O Auto da Compadecida":

hqdefault.jpg

And many butts were hurt. :smug:

On the other hand, the protagonist is surprised and says Jesus isn't "supposed" to be "so...tanned". Jesus then replies he chose to appear in that form just to troll him. :smug:

I'm more worried about how Jesus sat passively while the Devil dragged a bunch of souls to hell in an attempt to catch the hero.

Delterius

Arcane
I'm more worried about how Jesus sat passively while the Devil dragged a bunch of souls to hell in an attempt to catch the hero.

Pretty sure everyone in that church was damned in one way or another. What the protagonist achieves through Maria, through the innovative idea of actually praying, is a reavaluation of their cases.

But, really, great movie.

No, I mean those random people in purgatory, walking alongside the people from the hero's town. The devil creates a vortex to drag the hero into hell, but he grabs a rock or something and manages to hang onto it until Jesus arrives to tell the devil to cut that shit out. Which is fine, except the vortex had already dragged a bunch of people who were unfortunate enough to be close to it when it popped into existence. I know it's not important to the story, but it looks so weird to see Jesus just roll his eyes at the devil taking random souls without a proper judgement, when the whole "fair trial" thing is deemed so important minutes later.

edit: just realized, this scene might not be in the movie, which was a condensed version of the tv series.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just checked, the scene is on the movie. But from what I understood, they are all condemmend to hell from the start, and only got the fair trial because Chicó appealed for Jesus to come and help them... Quem não chora não mama. :P

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

hqdefault.jpg

If Jesus don't like the prejudice on the characters, why god have made the blacks to be disproportionately more violent and dumb?

edit: just realized, this scene might not be in the movie, which was a condensed version of the tv series.
It was in the movie.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Internet trolling is the patriarchy's secret weapon.

Source, full rant, and kinda amusing comments.
That's ok. If they want to combat "trolls" with trolling that's fine in my book, instead of calls for censure, because they are special snowflakes and all... Always funny seeing women complaining about psychological violence, since women in general are the masters of psycho violence, being drama queens and all. What's next, blacks complaining about white violence against blacks? Oh wait...

Tommy Gun

Arcane

hqdefault.jpg

Madonna had a vid for Like a Prayer with a black jesus in it, some fuss then too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fzeNUqQbQ

Edit; I can post on the new forum

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
"The male-supremecist power structure empowers and perpetuates trolling, so I want that power structure to take away freedom of speech!"

people (and women) need to struggle for survival again, too much time on their hands.
When have women ever had to struggle for survival? Throughout history, those poor women had to stay home and raise the children while their husbands got to choose between dying in a war, dying in a mine or dying at sea.

Tehdagah

Arcane
"Internet trolling is a force with a political agenda"
:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom