Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/28/the-sunday-papers-274/#comment-1313834

Rockstar’s games as closer to what I imagined roleplaying games would be like in the future, and are more focused on actually playing a role in a living world than any sort of jrpg this entire past generation which just seem to keep throwing a different magic system in every iteration and calling it day. Anytime someone tries to break from the old traditions and tropes and the fanboys go for the throat. And then everyone just shits on Rockstar too for not catering to awful lolrandom nerd humor and idiots who think running around beating people with dildos is the high point of gaming like saints row. LOL PURPLE SPACE SHIPS AND DILDOS BEST GAME EVERRRR DAY ONE PURCHASE THROWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN

I would like videogames more if it weren’t for everyone else who plays them.

I’ve been called dumb/stupid/insane several times after complaining about certain, rather huge features in Planescape: Torment, because P:T is perfect and you can’t criticize it.
Examples of GTA as role playing game are very accurate. I spent more time roleplaying in GTA: San Andreas or Minecraft than in every RPGs I’ve played.

Most of RPGs aren’t good places for roleplaying. First thing we should do it’s get rid off leveling. XP farming is anti-roleplay thing, because most of people will have tendency to optimize they XP gain, so they can have the most kickass character in the world. This means doing every little stupid quests and running after rabbits so they can get 1XP more.
Chosing initial set of statistic and skills that can be expanded only a little would prevent all these things so we could focus on actual roleplaying as series of choices made by our character that will define this character and have impact on world and NPCs. Without “OH YEAH, MY LOCKPICKING SKILL WENT UP FROM 67,8765% to 68,1264% SO NOW I CAN OPEN THIS CHEST”.

Fuck that LARPer.

HALO IS THE GREATEST RPG BECAUSE YOU PLAY THE ROLE OF THE MASTER CHIEF AND CREATE YOUR OWN STORY WHERE ALIENS ARE BAD AND SHOOT AT YOU AND YOU SHOOT BACK AND BEAT ALIENS I LOVE HARDCORE RPGS SO MUCH.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It's really distressing how many people thing the qualifier for being an RPG is for the player to be playing a role in the game. One guy tried to convince me of this and when I pointed out that in that case 90% of games are RPGs, he actually said that was true as well.

It's amazing how widespread this opinion is.

Or even just how many people think that character progression on its own makes a game an RPG.

Turjan

Arcane
It's really distressing how many people thing the qualifier for being an RPG is for the player to be playing a role in the game. One guy tried to convince me of this and when I pointed out that in that case 90% of games are RPGs, he actually said that was true as well.

Well, there's enough "game journalists" that have been hammering this nonsense into the minds of their "informed" readers/listeners/watchers for years now.

Delterius

Arcane

I think that the genre discussions have served their purpose, we are getting the games we want and what the action-adventure loving masses think doesn't change that. However, if someone still cares about genre labels, they don't necessarily need to shun this opinion. Action games can be strategic and strategy games can be character-focused. Plus, given that 'roleplaying' is pretty much 'larping' in the mainstream, then you can always say that people can 'roleplay' in 90% of games; but not even 5% focus on crafting your own role through mechanics, systems and the story.

Or something to that effect, should your friend ever pester you again with his silly opinion. =p

Unkillable Cat WHY NO MUSHROOM CONSUMER PRESTIGE CLASS? YOU HAD IT UNLOCKED WITH 10 LEVELS OF PLUMBER, MAN.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Context
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...ern-japanese-games-just-suck-explains-himself
Fish's impression of Japanese game development is that its rooted in tradition, that Japanese developers are wary of adapting.
"And that gives me the impression that a lot of games are very much stuck in the past," he said. "Here in the West — not saying that all Western games are better, because plenty are godawful — but there's more forward thinking right now in terms of tech, the kinds of pipelines that they use here."
"There's just nothing come out of Japan right now that pushes like an Assassin's Creed or Skyrim,"
He says it's games like the huge open world adventures of Skyrim and Fallout that fulfill the promise of classic Japanese video games, like The Legend of Zelda.
You realize you just made it worse, right? The guy wants to defend that fucking western developers, shoving out clone after clone, sequel after sequel, are the lords of innovation? Even the AssCreed fans are saying that Black Flag was announced too quickly, and every game since AssCreed II is nothing but the same shit + a new random feature. All hail the innovation and future-thinking of yet another Modern Military FPS or thrid-person Action-Adventure game... what a joke.

Or even just how many people think that character progression on its own makes a game an RPG.

Even here, in a place called RPG CODEX, we can't have a proper answer for "What is a RPG". What hope does the rest of the public have? There's also the thing Turjan mentioned about people parroting some gamejournos' bullshit until it becomes fact, too.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fucking hipsters and their stupid glasses, man. If AAA is the cancer of gaming, hipsters are the syphilis.

Fucking hipsters and their stupid glasses, man. If AAA is the cancer of gaming, hipsters are the syphilis.
Don't hate the glasses man, hate the dipshit wearing them.

But Jesus fuck this FEZ dev, what a :retarded: shit... tries to be edgy saying Jap games are shit as if western popamoles and shiny AAA sequels are something to be proud of, and gets all worked up and throws a tantrum when someone points out he himself is a hipster shit.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Don't hate the glasses man
16711.jpg

I belong to an ancient race of vampires. You've probably never heard of it.
Speaking of Vampires. Other than VtM: bloodlines and redemption (didn't like the 2nd part too much) , and legacy of Kain series any tastefully done undead (not the mindless zombies rushing at you popamoleness) incline to try? Genre doesn't matter unless it is an interactive movie.

Edit: Except Dark Souls, Already played it like 200+ hours.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Speaking of Vampires. Other than VtM: bloodlines and redemption (didn't like the 2nd part too much) , and legacy of Kain series any tastefully done undead (not the mindless zombies rushing at you popamoleness) incline to try? Genre doesn't matter unless it is an interactive movie.

Not many where you actually play as undead. The Gabriel Knight games are of the same occulty flavor. And Veil of Darkness is all about them undead.

Not many where you actually play as undead. The Gabriel Knight games are of the same occulty flavor. And Veil of Darkness is all about them undead.
Since i finished SRR twice and the next :incline: looks like Blackguards, ill start with Gabriel knights which was also recommended here http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/suggestions-to-break-my-adventure-cherry.83910/

Luzur

Good Sir

..Medievil for PS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom