Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

That widescreen mod looks surprisingly OK, no repeating textures on UI elements. But your fog seems screwed up.

Yeah, I fixed the fog in IWD1 by enabling hardware acceleration/OpenGL, but it doesn't seem to work in IWD2 (there are no options in the config executable and setting the 3D Acceleration=1 flag in the .ini doesn't do anything). I've tried the DDraw fix but it creates even more problems. I've also used other wrappers like DgVoodoo2, which fixes the fog but creates unbearable slowdown. Any thoughts?

Edit: fixed by using this wrapper:

http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html

And setting the following flag in aqrit.cfg:

BltMirror = 1

Result:

iwd20011kqse.jpg

Also, regarding the UI, I'm using this scaling fix after applying the regular WeiDU widescreen patch:

http://havredest.eklablog.fr/interfaces-pour-widescreen-a42876917

:greatjob:

Last edited:
iwd2005ihr2w.jpg

At least they're self-aware about the amount of banal/shit/boring/fetch quests in the starting town - even with a smartass quip about Easthaven, which also had a couple in the first game.

The ghost lady storyline was pretty decent, though!

Nostaljaded

Savant
This was my first, blind try. Not everybody is so critically insecure that they power-game and rely on guides because they can't deal with failure.

And it's precisely because there's so many variables in such an early battle that this game is challenging.
I'm playing blind as well, which is how a game should be played to enjoy to its fullest extent.
Started about a month ago, currently only at 1st run, 4th turn.

Your 'skipping of dialog lines and battle screenshot' conveys an impression of playing a totally foreign-language game while neither caring for the story nor understanding the game mechanics.

That's not how it's meant to be played™ to fully enjoy/appreciate a Rance game, not to mention it's the finale of a 10+ game series. I would advise to either level up your Jap before continuing or do a machine-translation.
(In Rance X, forming a proper [not talking about optimum here] party makes up a large part of understanding the game mechanics to deal with whatever the game throws at us.)

Don't spoil it yourself, we only get to savour a game's freshness/blind run once. :negative:

Citizen

iwd2005ihr2w.jpg

At least they're self-aware about the amount of banal/shit/boring/fetch quests in the starting town - even with a smartass quip about Easthaven, which also had a couple in the first game.

The ghost lady storyline was pretty decent, though!

You showed him the cat?

Astral Rag

Arcane
True dat. Have been enjoying the game so far. That spider is the first boss. The game isn't super challenging but that may still change.

Faux retro graphics done right IMO and the soundtrack is great too.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Fun fact: Because most walkthroughs for Monkey Island list the Three Trials in the order of "Swordfighter > Treasure Hunt > Idol Thievery", most players will miss out on an awesome scene.

Every time Guybrush steps on the bridge next to the SCUMM bar, the game checks to see if the Three Trials are complete. If they are, we see the cutscene where LeChuck's ship sails off with Elaine. However, if you do the Three Trials so that stealing the Idol comes first or second, an extra scene is played on the bridge where Elaine comes to rescue Guybrush from drowning. However, if the player stole the Idol last, the "Bridge Check > GoTo LeChuck" scene overrides this one.

Fortunately the scene can be seen below:

(I only personally discovered this two weeks ago.)

Divinity: Original Sin

Fun fact: Because most walkthroughs for Monkey Island list the Three Trials in the order of "Swordfighter > Treasure Hunt > Idol Thievery", most players will miss out on an awesome scene.

Every time Guybrush steps on the bridge next to the SCUMM bar, the game checks to see if the Three Trials are complete. If they are, we see the cutscene where LeChuck's ship sails off with Elaine. However, if you do the Three Trials so that stealing the Idol comes first or second, an extra scene is played on the bridge where Elaine comes to rescue Guybrush from drowning. However, if the player stole the Idol last, the "Bridge Check > GoTo LeChuck" scene overrides this one.

Saw it in my first play through, since I did the thievery trial first!

iwd2008carsw.jpg

It's very hard to keep playing this game because there's so much slowdown. The other IE games are smooth because they have OpenGL support, but running IWD2 on software, DirectDraw is insufferable on today's machines, even with alternate wrappers. It's simply too sluggish, and large battles are a chore. What a pity, I was liking the game quite a bit but I don't think I'll manage to finish it at all. I fired up BG2 with all my mods and it's baby smooth compared to this and looks a lot better in terms of spell effects and fog of war.

Krivol

Magister
It's very hard to keep playing this game because there's so much slowdown. The other IE games are smooth because they have OpenGL support, but running IWD2 on software, DirectDraw is insufferable on today's machines, even with alternate wrappers. It's simply too sluggish, and large battles are a chore. What a pity, I was liking the game quite a bit but I don't think I'll manage to finish it at all. I fired up BG2 with all my mods and it's baby smooth compared to this and looks a lot better in terms of spell effects and fog of war.

Wait for Enhanced Edition

:troll:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

right in the feels, they don't make games like that anymore

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom