Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

A horse of course

Been playing some Duck Kick'em mods. Was hoping for some major overhauls but most of the stuff in the addon pack is just level packs with a couple of reskinned weapons. I'm not as into Doom/Duke Nukem mods as I was Half-Life custom content, so I won't be doing an exhaustive list or anything. Plus I already played stuff like the DNF 3d and Starship Troopers mods.

25th Century Duke

2-3 solid levels but also garbage like a Water Treatment map. Like, a sewer level? Why even bother? On the upside I don't recall getting lost or confused and most of the keys/switches are reasonably obvious, UNLIKE SOME SHIT MAPS I COULD NAME. Also I messed up the installation, hence the random Doom textures in some shots :lol:

fyoByKs.jpg
r3GhUqM.jpg
IT0xYAp.jpg
Bw92540.jpg
jreryES.jpg
HwQEFCy.jpg
p5C1vcS.jpg
YCnAShE.jpg
nbPgFir.jpg

1999/2000 TC

Overhauls quite a few enemy sprites and there's a good mix of themes (classic DN3d humour/pop culture to Blood-style horror references) across maps, but the last couple of levels ("It's a Wash" and "Overton") were horrible. The former is one long fucking grind against dozens upon dozens of Pig Tanks, Enforcers and grunts with very little ammo, and the latter drops you in a totally featureless room with an Battlelord and not enough ammo/health in the entire map to actually kill him :retarded:

AEh0pkH.jpg
p6CJ5el.jpg
zh4F0xy.jpg
wes22IS.jpg
eOCuptV.jpg
QDCbAsp.jpg
8QZQBii.jpg
Fq4CDzF.jpg
piqVgk6.jpg
4UHKC1p.jpg
re0Otd4.jpg
oncZ6Aq.jpg
PW665ZI.jpg
oY7lh9w.jpg
Zeax8Fd.jpg

Age of Evil Episodes 1-2

A odd little side project of Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame. Essentially a comedy horror mod in the vein of Bongistani geek "classics" like the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy or Darkplace. In effect, reskins all the alien grunts to shotgun zombies, Pig Cops to flying ghosts etc. My main complaint is that whilst it's great the mod doesn't reuse 90% original Duke Nukem assets (a particular failing of a lot of DN3D horror/Blood tribute mods that just change the map and music), it does mean you're fighting the exact same enemies far too often. If you're going that route, you may as well halve the mod's length. Perhaps the plan was to finish episodes 3 and 4 and then go back and remaster the early stuff.

iJV7e0r.jpg
jXFOZw5.jpg
6mttmP8.jpg
dalkyx3.jpg
Gk7XJPV.jpg
osMBfKP.jpg
dv7hZAI.jpg
yo5ADQv.jpg
QU0Vg1Q.jpg
ApKHxKI.jpg
FklHkTa.jpg

ADG Episode

Nothing remarkable, just a short series of competent vanilla-style levels. I don't think it used any custom content beyond a few trees, but I may have installed it wrong. Tested both with and without High Resolution Pack.

16xrjhO.jpg
0OfjD3F.jpg
18hmqpe.jpg
umN5mfq.jpg
ZgKLtq7.jpg
3VYEL7B.jpg
rh9taXt.jpg

Duke Nukem 64 TC

The N64 port of Duke Nukem 3D is generally considered one of the better console adaptations, featuring a pretty steady framerate plus good visuals compared to the heavily downgraded PSX or Saturn versions. It's also one of the most heavily modified versions, with a whole bunch of new weapons (such as grenade launchers, shitty Shadow Warrior SMGs that can't hit dick, plasma rifles and more) and remastered assets. The 64 TC mod basically takes all those ripped assets and integrates them into the PC version. It is not, however, a totally faithful remake of the original, as it doesn't involve any changes to the level design themselves. So for example, whilst it uses the censored N64 assets for dancers and adult images on magazines, cinema screens and such, it doesn't actually change the Red Light district into a series of Gun Stores, or enclose the final boss fight in an indoor stadium (there are some LPs on youtube of the original N64 version if you want to compare). One thing it does carry over, which I thought was very cool, is making the captured babes invulnerable to gunfire. They no longer moan "kill me" when you activate them, and actually teleport away with the message "Babe Saved", which is added to your final score at the end of each level. I personally think this is a positive change from the original, albeit obviously done for the sake of Nintendo's strict rules on adult content.

On the subject of ports, there's a TC of the PSX Duke Nukem 3D (Total Meltdown) in the works. The original levels aren't very interesting - most stuff is identical to the original except even uglier, though the music is pretty good. However, the Playstation-exclusive extra Episode - "Plug and Pray" - features about 7 totally new levels and a number of new enemies, such as zombie pig cops, Pig-Cop-In-A-Dress, a new boss, new alien grunt types, Magnum P.I.G. and so on. Unfortunately, though the PSX assets have all been ripped and the project has been in development for a few years, it seems to have run into trouble and I don't know the current status. There is a semi-finished recreation of the PSX levels already out, but I found it quite buggy and it lacked any of the new enemies or art.

gbY2Pu4.jpg
fqgIM9h.jpg
fGoLPrb.jpg
agjpchj.jpg
2yVvrsf.jpg
Rnqi7ox.jpg
SH2YaIw.jpg
KSJFQFh.jpg
AobiD7m.jpg
XzWoM76.jpg
SCLfQDD.jpg
96TwD62.jpg
6UHKKaA.jpg

I've been playing some other stuff, but haven't finished anything interesting enough to bother uploading screens of yet. Not really digging the Aliens or Star Trek mods.

tormund

Arcane
Fusion TC was decent back in the day, if you want cheesy but well made Duke TC. Clue is in the name, guy basically took weapons, enemies, textures, music from every other major 90s FPS (HL, Unreal, Quake, Blood, Goldeneye... ) and mashed it all together... but it somehow worked in the end.

Nice "reviews" BTW, I'm saving Duke 64 TC for my next Duke replay. Kinda weird that we don't have dedicated Duke/eDuke mod thread around here.

A horse of course

I did play some of Fusion but found it too difficult. Was trying to kill Half-Life marines and armoured Quake shotgunners with the shitty Unreal pistol and could never find any ammo. Apparently the second Episode rips off Blood/Quake and horror/fantasy stuff so I might just try to do that one.

Kinda weird that we don't have dedicated Duke/eDuke mod thread around here.

Most of the famous DN3D mods seem to be from the 00s, particularly after Ken Silverman updated the build engine with patches and 3DR released the source code. Doom has more of an almost-unbroken line of mods and map packs dating back to the original. I'm not really plugged in to the old FPS modding scene though.

Last edited by a moderator:

spekkio

Arcane
Fallout Tactics 1.5

Bros, I'm not really overwhelmed by Silent Storm. I mean there are like 2 useful "tactics":

1) Use rifles to snipe from a distance:

Scrn_Shot_290716_000135_1.jpg

goya.shootings-3-5-1808.jpeg

BTW, I love snipers' stances:

Scrn_Shot_290716_001353_1.jpg

:love:

2) Ambush enemies and use grenades:

Scrn_Shot_290716_195615_1.jpg

Scrn_Shot_290716_195633_1.jpg

Scrn_Shot_290716_200156_1.jpg

:oops:

Dumb AI makes it even worse:

Scrn_Shot_290716_203101_1.jpg

Scrn_Shot_290716_203151_1.jpg

Scrn_Shot_290716_203248_1.jpg

Scrn_Shot_290716_204541_1.jpg

:roll:

Shit's fun, but less complex and much less charming than JA...

3D brawler with fixed camera angles

pcsx2_2016_07_31_19_53_52_67_1.jpg

pcsx2_2016_07_31_20_19_33_10_1.jpg

Liked the graphics, but hated everything else.

On the other hand, I'm already liking Resident Evil with katanas, despite spending short time with it:

pcsx2_2016_07_31_22_00_28_43_1.jpg

pcsx2_2016_07_31_22_00_40_34_1.jpg

pcsx2_2016_07_31_22_17_44_72_1.jpg

Much more entertaining than DMC, at least for me...

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How's Beautiful Doom?

I'm using it constantly to play custom wads and it's much more tame when it comes to the blood/gore and is more balanced when it comes to the monsters strenght. You can now choose vanilla/bd weapons, which give you dual pistols, and some alternative attacks on other gear. I use it on zdoom because it so light and don't need anything more when it comes to single player mods. I don't even look at Brutal doom releases because BD is way much better and less frustrating when it comes to own death ratio.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/beautiful-doom-6100

Grab it and test it on a couple of levels with higher enemy numbers. You will know if it's your cup of tea quickly.

A horse of course

Duke Nukem mods continued

American Assault TC

Ugh, this turned into a bit of a slog. Starts out as a solid "cherry vanilla" mod with some custom weapons, sounds, music and particle effects, following the basic vanilla model of visiting various urban locations infested by the alien invaders - Disneyland, Seattle, Alcatraz and so forth. Where it stumbles is somewhere around the 2nd of 3 episodes, as the difficulty level ramps up and enemy placement starts to become downright sadistic - Floater Commanders spawning right right behind you, groups of Suicide Drones three feet above your head as you enter a room and so on. There's a radioactive sewer level in episode 3 which I believe features absolutely no health items nor protective boots at all (I finished with precisely 1% hp left). What really ruins this mod, though, is the horrible pixel-hunting it degenerates into. For much of episodes 2 and 3, spending half an hour running around the entire map is the norm, searching for wall cracks hidden in obscure caves set to the dimmest lighting. Special mention goes to "Blood and Guts" where one of the switches is actually a timed switch, but gives no indication of being such, so by the time you find the door it opened (right back at the beginning of the map), it's already closed. I had to look up the solution in a readme. This really ruins the pacing of the levels, and I ended up disabling the music because it was starting to genuinely piss me off as I scooted round an empty room from the start of the map for the 10th time. And woe betide anyone who already used up their explosives or jetpack items, because you're going to have to restart the level (the maps are generally extremely generous with explosives, though). Curiously, the author(s) pretty much abandon this approach by E3L4, maintaining the difficulty but not the annoying puzzles.

So, if you don't like keycard/switch hunting then I would give the latter 2/3rds of this mod a miss. Apart from that, it's a pretty good riff on the classic level style.

cSZT7WS.jpg
LiTPjnD.jpg
jTtB8dU.jpg
XHJBdLw.jpg
Ndb1nrL.jpg
o7WCiKv.jpg
A7bgmkc.jpg
tIIdNEZ.jpg
fvuoLMU.jpg
zcHemzE.jpg
mqrxQxG.jpg
MIjQQUk.jpg
ZYTBxBa.jpg
Fm7oHBR.jpg
S6iisnP.jpg
ioqHQW0.jpg
fvn2Ozu.jpg
pS67E7w.jpg
kOl25T8.jpg
NQhGA6H.jpg

Shark Cove

Based on the author's original mod for vanilla DN3D, Shark Cove consists of two relatively large vacation-themed maps and requires the "Life's a Beach" expansion files for the original game. A pretty good sense of pacing and some very well designed environments, my only major complaint is that ammo is scarse in the first map, leading to a couple of stretches where I had no more than a handful of handgun bullets or a couple of shotgun shells for a massive group of grunts or pig cops. Short but fairly challenging, with the second map culminating in a valley filled with dozens of Suicide Drones and mini-Battlelords.

cJA4Jx7.jpg
cM0FUh8.jpg
pwuCDfa.jpg
fGfEsRI.jpg
cCM6dCP.jpg
Dou22Bg.jpg
bxNw1zU.jpg
5z9ZMZ9.jpg
qmWveRB.jpg
OfJFKit.jpg

Borg Nukem

Two episodes of about half-a-dozen levels each, plus some deathmatch maps. I'm not actually sure whether this was a TC or an unauthorized mail-order paid addon. Anyway, the first episode follows Duke through starships, Federation bases and Borg Cubes, ending in a battle with the Borg Queen herself. The second episode is pretty short and linear, jumping from one location to the next with little notion of story advancement. Overall, I'd say there's not much to interest laymen like myself beyond novelty value. The penultimate map of the first episode had an annoying timed Self-Destruct sequence that's probably impossible to do without savescumming from the start, but the mod as a whole isn't supremely hard once you realize that the shotgun/Phaser Rifle is a useless piece of shit. Even if you are a dumbfuck pinko Trekkie, there are plenty of big-budget Star Trek games as alternatives.

ffZc3XV.jpg
duoAw6Y.jpg
BvFr0XT.jpg
qaqxQeI.jpg
cuiXfYA.jpg
XuvbTEe.jpg
hVdJTOL.jpg
iV3g9re.jpg
yBP9hJf.jpg
GpkGtOO.jpg
EhZtbyU.jpg
s0JVX2J.jpg
tigoQq6.jpg
2JCxed8.jpg

A Dream Trilogy

A horror-themed 3-map collection that isn't really worth your time. Part 1 starts off as a typical classic DN3D level, but around 3/4ths through you're teleported to a nightmare world where you fight ghostly versions of regular foes. You're then dumped back into the original level as if nothing happened. The second map is essentially one big linear puzzle/exploration map with no enemies until the final sequence, in which you run through a boring labyrinth in order to escape an ugly bitmap ghost head who kills you upon contact. The final map has you plod through some offices and apartments, shooting sprites of modified headcrab zombies. I've never understood why people attempt to make legitimate horror experiences (not tributes or themed mods) in Doom or DN3D. They invariably mesh far better with the mechanics of Thief or dedicated horror titles like Amnesia. Every single element is a generic 2spooky trope - ghostly jump scares, babies crying, creepy paintings etc. Neither tense nor scary. Ironically, the best part of the mod is the first level, which is a more than adequate vanilla DN3D experience.

wFB9M1j.jpg
ag6Yj58.jpg
SefkXbk.jpg
KyTiJpI.jpg
WSdlXhv.jpg
dPG55Ya.jpg
hmaTp3O.jpg
xt2OPIi.jpg
eyXZp4D.jpg
XpsL3zg.jpg
fRGAfDB.jpg
B8JnIm1.jpg
SwpqYyd.jpg
UN8PdKW.jpg
DkFJKE2.jpg
M8W2XL2.jpg

Riskbreaker

Yo, Ed boy! Be sure to check this out: http://www.moddb.com/games/duke-nukem-3d/addons/tamduke
Exceptionally well-made episode, with maps tangentially inspired by locales from some random Finnish city (not sure if one can encounter palms and desert environments in Finland, but maps are populated by usual Duke 3D subhuman scum so I guess it's authentic enough?).
No new enemies or weapons, mostly original graphics, but you get 8-9 levels of classic Duke action and some really well crafted environments. Some annoying key hunting tho, there's this really good looking largish map with city streets mid point thru the episode that had me stuck for good 40 minutes or so.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I played as Chen Gong under Lu Bu in Warlords scenario, it took me 10 years to establish a supremacy in Central Plains. And when I was so close to wiping out Yuan Shao, a coalition from Ma Teng, Liu Biao and Sun Ce was established to destroy me.

17.jpg

I don't have enough supplies to deal with two more fronts there must've been at least 50-60k garrison reserves that couldn't march because there's not enough supply.

So I decided to just let Central Plains fall a bit while I focus on capping Yuan Shao's city, one by one. And to solve the food problem, I went to Liu Zhang who remained neutral and secured around 40k of supplies. It was worth it, since I can tell Lu Bu to just retreat and unleash his 20k stack from his newly resupplied capital. I lost around 5 cities in Central Plains, but Yuan Shao is left with a single city on the top north east china. I left him alone, knowing he'll pass away soon (it's 201 AD, Sun Ce died too from poisoned arrow while sieging my city LOL) and then I can tell one of his incompetent sons to submit. Satisfied with the north's settlement, I went to Yuan Shu and compelled him to attack Liu Biao in Runan. It was good enough to stop Liu Biao from advancing any further than Runan, Chenliu and Xuchang (with the Emperor inside!) Yuan Shu sent 60k stack, which is 80% of his army. His back is secure with Sun Quan's alliance, so that's one problem solved.

19.jpg

With the north under my control, I directed all the force to repel Ma Teng, only surrendering control of Hongnong and stopped him at Shangdang. Two down, one to go. Then I went southeast and stopped Sun Quan from taking Xiaopei.

18.jpg

I couldn't take back Xiapi and Langye since the supply dried up. Anyway, with that settled, I let another season's harvest come and just counter-attacked Liu Biao. I recaptured Chenliu, Xuchang, Runan (Yuan Shu failed LOL) and drove them all back to Wan.

16.jpg

Lu Bu released a prisoner later on, earning a political debt on Liu Biao. I redeemed it to solicit a 40k supply in return from Liu. The fool agrees. So I'm just gonna feed my troops and wipe him out next season.

If anyone is wondering why I let Cao Cao's Luoyang stand, it's because I don't want Lu Bu to replace me with Xun Yu who has 104 INT compared to my 101 INT.

:x

Riskbreaker

C325FE8340F228DCDBC85047E642C10DEEA1B6DA

230BDA82CB294B7C942A1500F278FD0084A6DB55

3FBDFFD3D77F5E20BAEA2BAED3F670DD0C3106B3

4CBD8CB3C7D36D06082A7C0B36BC08C166632307

Fucking waste, that's what this is.

Remarkable architecture and really intricate detail-work but alas, level such as this one doesn't belong in Painkiller.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That's the lost monastery or whatever level, right? I remember it as the absolutely shittiest one in the game.

Riskbreaker

Aye. It really isn't suited to Painkiller's gameplay, and it doesn't work at all well with Painkiller's movement/jumping physics.

I really forgot just how annoying it was to get through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom