Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I can understand DoF if you have head tracking gear or something. Otherwise it's dumb.

Executr

Cipher
Yeah snork on two legs armed with guns and bloodsuckers wearing bandits jackets were most wacky elements of this mod.

It took me by surprise. A really funny feature.
Overall, I love this mod, especially because it's super stable plus all the quests, maps and weapons.

I'm also looking forward to try all the mods you guys have been recommending on the STALKER thread.

St. Toxic

Arcane
I can understand DoF if you have head tracking gear or something. Otherwise it's dumb.

More like eyeball tracking gear, and even then it doesn't really simulate the way that the human eye works. You get a more realistic experience actually focusing on different things within the gameworld with an even sharpness than you do with DoF. Still, I have to admit that it's a functional approach to obscuring blurry textures and low-poly models in games like Rage and the new Wolfenstein. Turning it off makes the games look worse simply because you're able to scrutinize these shortcomings at a glance.

DraQ

Arcane
Now I want pics of bloodsuckers crossdressing as bandits.

DoF isn't really distance dependent as it is object dependent; like, if you look at a far-away tower while crouching behind some boxes, the boxes blur out while the tower becomes sharp.
It is distance dependent - both tower and everything at the same distance will be sharp, but the further or closer in an object is, the more blurry it becomes.

The thing with Skyrim is that it doesn't change focus much, but instead focuses on the magnitude of blur and depth of field, tweaking them according to the conditions. So it arguably misuses DoF, but for a good effect, rather than using it according to its purpose for an awful one.

More like eyeball tracking gear, and even then it doesn't really simulate the way that the human eye works. You get a more realistic experience actually focusing on different things within the gameworld with an even sharpness than you do with DoF.
:bro:
I'll never understand why this piece of idiocy got popular - not just in games itself which would be explainable by corporate idiocy, but in fucking mods - observe:
TESV2012-09-1600-13-29-02.jpg

2rx9vra.png

St. Toxic

Arcane
It is distance dependent - both tower and everything at the same distance will be sharp, but the further or closer in an object is, the more blurry it becomes.

I haven't seen it work like that, to be honest. If you have two towers at an equal distance from your position and you're aiming at the one to the left the one to the right would still be blurred out, no? Anyway, it's a hack really, so you can implement it any way you like and among the easier ways of doing it would be blurring everything that isn't "at the same distance" as the object you are looking at; however, "nothing" is at the same distance from your digital eyeball other than the exact pixel that you're looking at (conversely, a lot of random shit that you aren't even looking at is), so you would still have to tweak at what point the horrible blurring starts. My cheap way of doing it would be to project a 3d sphere with boundaries that grant true vision TM wherever you look, with a size that stays constant to include more objects the further away they are.

The thing with Skyrim is that it doesn't change focus much, but instead focuses on the magnitude of blur and depth of field, tweaking them according to the conditions. So it arguably misuses DoF, but for a good effect, rather than using it according to its purpose for an awful one.

If I know Beth, it's probably the same as with the bloom/hdr in Oblivion. They go for the cheapest possible implementation that's able to mimic the overall effect; 9/10 console tards wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Fuck, it's like a headache has been condensed into an image. I go cross-eyed from looking at this thing. And the second screenshot is even worse, holy hell.

Last edited:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
You get a more realistic experience actually focusing on different things within the gameworld with an even sharpness than you do with DoF.
Indeed, most of the screen is blurred out anyways when you look at it so why would you add even more blur? D: Either way it's not about realism, it's about artsy faggotry - trying to implement what works in movies and photography (when done properly) in games (where it's useless).

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I still can't get over the shitty graphics in Syndicate Wars. Why didn't they stay in 2d, 1996 was still before the "everything must be in 3d" craze, and isometric 2d games of that time looked sweet.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I still can't get over the shitty graphics in Syndicate Wars. Why didn't they stay in 2d, 1996 was still before the "everything must be in 3d" craze, and isometric 2d games of that time looked sweet.
Original Syndicate had gorgeous art direction and graphics look sexy even now (and it's 16 colors bitches!):

Syndicate_screenshot.png

I never really got into Syndicate Wars because of how confusing shit graphics it had.

Got a pad finally (decline) and played MS3 yesterday with my bro. Oh boy did we suck - died like every 7s (just enough to throw all grenades) and I often didn't know which character was mine. The graphics are glorious though.

37F4CB11420B3E2B4C6B35FF7DE67FA5E862E2A7

8376185A6684FD3AC3BF9BB33919562AC518FC9E

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
KoCUsQs.png

Alkeides Simulator 2014

Q2ZHmPN.png

6PUDUrE.png

TLdXgCn.png

amSq9UL.png

U4OUtYQ.png

gUhwBMk.png

FW59xqZ.png

0Qu5xom.png

Some pretty good graphics, and it looks like it will be fun to cause some mayhem in this thing.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Got a pad finally (decline) and played MS3 yesterday with my bro. Oh boy did we suck - died like every 7s (just enough to throw all grenades) and I often didn't know which character was mine. The graphics are glorious though.
I remember playing Metal Slug X with my bros when I was in high school.
Kudos for reminding me about the series. :salute:

DraQ

Arcane

I haven't seen it work like that, to be honest. If you have two towers at an equal distance from your position and you're aiming at the one to the left the one to the right would still be blurred out, no?
I believe it does work like that:
220px-DOF-ShallowDepthofField.jpg

If I know Beth, it's probably the same as with the bloom/hdr in Oblivion. They go for the cheapest possible implementation that's able to mimic the overall effect; 9/10 console tards wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
The thing is they don't even try to mimic the overall effect.
Instead they use what is nominally DoF to do other, actually useful things.

Skyrim is very different from oblivion in this regard, it lacks both the lazy asshole approach to player experience and "let's paste every effect over everything simultaneously, maybe no one will notice how shitty the actual graphics is".
It's actually both tasteful and actually good looking, especially considering it was already dated visually when it came out.
It does a good job using what it has to work with for good effect.

Fuck, it's like a headache has been condensed into an image. I go cross-eyed from looking at this thing. And the second screenshot is even worse, holy hell.
Th first one isn't bad. It only has chromatic aberration, which seems to be the new bloom/DoF, but isn't nearly as offensive if only because you can notice it IRL and it's way subtler by default.
The second is awful, though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
rmI8Om.jpg

Onward! TO GLOREH!

L6gTZE.jpg

ZE EEVIL WIZARD

jb2fpP.jpg

A few slingshots, spells and punches later...

tycYIc.jpg

VICTAREH!

Man, Gobliiins 1 really isn't a good game compared to 2 and 3 :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom