Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Astral Rag

Arcane
rwuG5jh.jpg

godssseres2wjza.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
Xenonauts V21

There are some New Kids On the Alien Block:

wYJHFai.jpg

q5kMm3b.jpg

Still, no alien leaders (despite cleaning 2 bases and some large ufos). But thanks to our scientists, the hunt for the leaders should be easier from now on:

5D6UgXR.jpg

:incline:

Also, this:

C5O4GNY.jpg

:thumbsup:

Oh, by March, if you don’t have strong aircraft, you’re fucked:

wSXdlMJ.jpg

Oh, well...

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
First two missions in the T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age.

wvl6qLF.png

680p3pG.png

7GFWrHs.jpg

U6w5Jbn.jpg

LySxSh6.png

CUQK8OX.jpg

ZXW5bqc.jpg

JZzGX9R.png

oisOFD2.jpg

wu94jwq.jpg

There might be some sound propagation problems in The Trials that Shape Us, but it might be on my end.

Voice acting is great, wouldn't be out of place in original games.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
E.Y.E. - Divine Cybermancy
Calling "brouzof" a money is least strange thing in that game. Game is chopped and with thick atmospere and satisfying shooting. Better Syndicate than latest release from EA.
Plus - amnesia.

There is similiar game called You Are Empty, except shooting is worse. Atmosphere of soviet union was thick enough to cut through with axe.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One thing that really pisses me off is when the AI blatantly cheats, and operates under different rules than the player.

In HoMM 2 the AI player can enter the moat and attack on the same turn, but the player can't. Or rather, the player can if using Auto Combat. Normally I don't get too hung up on such matters, since I can usually win anway. But in a pitched battle on a "Hard" map on "Impossible" difficulty it can make a difference.

In the specific game that causes the current butthurt I'm leading a Knight army of Rangers, Champions and Veteran Swordsmen and Pikemen against a Sorceress town defended by Unicorns, Elves, Sprites, Greater Druids and Battle Dwarves.
First round I cast Shield on my Rangers, my Champions enter the moat, the infantry moves towards the moat and the Rangers kill the Sprites.
The next turn the castle wall is breached at three different places. The Champions are next to the middle breach that is blocked by the defender's stack of Battle Dwarves. So I attack the Dwarves with my Champions and turn on Auto-Combat, assuming that the Veteran Swordsmen will follow up on the Champions' attack and do an unretaliated attack on the Dwarves. But instead they move to the uppermost breach, which is the only place the dreaded Unicorns can reach them. In the moat they are sitting ducks, especially after being subject to two Disprupting Rays. And to make matters wors the Veteran Pikemen don't attack the Dwarves either, but move into the moat next to the lowest of the three breches.

88UBtkS.jpg

Here the champions have just attacked the Battle Dwarves. The optimal tactic now is for the Swordsmen to attack the Dwarves, while the Pikemen enter the moat at the breach at the bottom, where they are out of reach of that nasty stack of Unicorns.
Instead this is what happens when turning on Auto:

VbCJGIW.jpg

The Swordsmen make themselves sitting ducks for the Unicorns, while the Pikemen don't support the Champions.

I hate it when things like this happens, as they sour my enthusiasm for the game in question.
But the weird thing is that Googling does not turn up any other mention of this bug where only AI units can move into the moat and attack on the same turn.

EDIT: I'm a silly bunt. It seems that units just need one extra movement point to attack from the moat. :oops:

Last edited:

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
One thing that really pisses me off is when the AI blatantly cheats, and operates under different rules than the player.

In HoMM 2 the AI player can enter the moat and attack on the same turn, but the player can't. Or rather, the player can if using Auto Combat. Normally I don't get too hung up on such matters, since I can usually win anway. But in a pitched battle on a "Hard" map on "Impossible" difficulty it can make a difference.

In the specific game that causes the current butthurt I'm leading a Knight army of Rangers, Champions and Veteran Swordsmen and Pikemen against a Sorceress town defended by Unicorns, Elves, Sprites, Greater Druids and Battle Dwarves.
First round I cast Shield on my Rangers, my Champions enter the moat, the infantry moves towards the moat and the Rangers kill the Sprites.
The next turn the castle wall is breached at three different places. The Champions are next to the middle breach that is blocked by the defender's stack of Battle Dwarves. So I attack the Dwarves with my Champions and turn on Auto-Combat, assuming that the Veteran Swordsmen will follow up on the Champions' attack and do an unretaliated attack on the Dwarves. But instead they move to the uppermost breach, which is the only place the dreaded Unicorns can reach them. In the moat they are sitting ducks, especially after being subject to two Disprupting Rays. And to make matters wors the Veteran Pikemen don't attack the Dwarves either, but move into the moat next to the lowest of the three breches.

88UBtkS.jpg

Here the champions have just attacked the Battle Dwarves. The optimal tactic now is for the Swordsmen to attack the Dwarves, while the Pikemen enter the moat at the breach at the bottom, where they are out of reach of that nasty stack of Unicorns.
Instead this is what happens when turning on Auto:

VbCJGIW.jpg

The Swordsmen make themselves sitting ducks for the Unicorns, while the Pikemen don't support the Champions.

I hate it when things like this happens, as they sour my enthusiasm for the game in question.
But the weird thing is that Googling does not turn up any other mention of this bug where only AI units can move into the moat and attack on the same turn.

To be fair, auto-combat-moat-free-attack (or whatever we should call it) sounds like a glitch. Also, I don't think it's just AI units that can move into the moat and attack, if it's like in III, they have to be defenders in castle.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
To be fair, auto-combat-moat-free-attack (or whatever we should call it) sounds like a glitch. Also, I don't think it's just AI units that can move into the moat and attack, if it's like in III, they have to be defenders in castle.

No, I've tested it. AI controlled units can enter the moat and attack the defenders when attacking a castle. For a human player that is not an option; you can only move into the moat, but not attack even if ending right next to an enemy unit.
For the defenders it very rarely is a good idea to enter the moat and attack the other way, so I haven't tested how that works, but I can't imagine it being different.

Another annoying thing is that as defender you can only reach the end of the drawbridge if sallying out the main gate, no matter how many movement points your non-flying units have.

HoMM 3 was definitely a huge improvement over HoMM 2.

No, I've tested it. AI controlled units can enter the moat and attack the defenders when attacking a castle. For a human player that is not an option; you can only move into the moat, but not attack even if ending right next to an enemy unit.
For the defenders it very rarely is a good idea to enter the moat and attack the other way, so I haven't tested how that works, but I can't imagine it being different.

Another annoying thing is that as defender you can only reach the end of the drawbridge if sallying out the main gate, no matter how many movement points your non-flying units have.

HoMM 3 was definitely a huge improvement over HoMM 2.

Yes, it was (gameplay wise). 2 has its charms though, maybe nice looking cartoony sprites and castles. Not saying 3 is is bad, just different. I prefer the look of 3's maps definitely, with all its small details and charm. Combat screen wise, I'm not so sure, I think 2 wins there, it has prettier combat backgrounds and maybe characters, but only by a notch.

Sorry for the rant, nostalgia got me.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I'm a silly bunt. It seems that units just need one extra movement point to attack from the moat. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom