Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Scars Of War Will Be Politically Correct

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I am disturbed because they see themselves as lesser even in fantasy worlds. In my fantasy worlds I'm quite capable of imagining myself lifting buses, should I feel like it.

But my girlfriend assumed that even in a virtual environment, playing a girl would involve taking on a penalty of some sort. Seems like a bit of a shitty thing, to me, to have that feeling of inferiority flash into your consciousness even when you're engaging in a bit of light zombie-killing.

It isn't that giving the girl zombie-killer a weakness compared to the men would be 'sexist', it's just that I think it's an unnecessary imposition.

You're welcome to disagree.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Relay said:
As of the Athens 2004 Summer Olympics, the official world record for the Men's Clean and Jerk is 263.0 kilograms (580 lb). This record was set by Hossein Reza Zadeh of Iran.
The world record for the Women's Clean and Jerk is 187.0 kilograms (412 lb) as of 2009 World Weightlifting Championships. This record was set by Jang Miran of South Korea.[4]

You have to keep in mind that this requires years of training and perhaps even some chemical "help". By no means an ordinary man could stem such weights.

There is really no inherent difference in strength, agility or whatever. That's just some social thing, because women are not expected to work as steel workers, lift heavy weights or become master swordfighters. And they seem to be quite fine with these social institutions, which is without question. But in principle, and if the sheer need arises, they could perform like any male.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Naked Ninja said:
I am disturbed because they see themselves as lesser even in fantasy worlds. In my fantasy worlds I'm quite capable of imagining myself lifting buses, should I feel like it.

But my girlfriend assumed that even in a virtual environment, playing a girl would involve taking on a penalty of some sort. Seems like a bit of a shitty thing, to me, to have that feeling of inferiority flash into your consciousness even when you're engaging in a bit of light zombie-killing.

It isn't that giving the girl zombie-killer a weakness compared to the men would be 'sexist', it's just that I think it's an unnecessary imposition.

I suppose you never heard of such a thing called suspension of disbelief. Fantasy does not mean everything goes, that is a very old fallacy.

Relay

Educated
@Cenobyte
I love the ability of leftist to actually dodge reality and facts just by calling everything a social construct. You've even avoided half of my points concentrating on the extraordinary, while I was giving examples on both grounds (the extremes and the average) and saying that in both cases they were vastly inferior to men.
When we say that the average woman is weaker teh leftist is going to say "it's all about the individual" but when we mention "the individual" by showing that the strongest individual man is still a freaking lot more stronger than the strongest woman the leftist backpedals back to the group and say "hey the average man couldn't be that strong". The average man still beats his wife into submission though.

If women were truly as able as men are then why were they supposedly oppressed for thousands of years before their commie "emancipation" ?

There is no talking to people who deny basic reality.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Cenobyte said:
There is really no inherent difference in strength, agility or whatever. That's just some social thing, because women are not expected to work as steel workers, lift heavy weights or become master swordfighters. And they seem to be quite fine with these social institutions, which is without question. But in principle, and if the sheer need arises, they could perform like any male.

New codex is so fucking popamole. :retarded:

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Where the hell did you got this out?

Norfleet

I believe that stat bonii and penalties are basically unnecessary in most RPGs, because, frankly, adventurers are freaks. Just look at D&D: What kind of strength penalty would you assign to a female human? Being a halfling is only a -2, and while a human female is clearly not as physically strong as a human male, she is most likely much stronger than a halfling. Yet only a single point's worth of granularity separates a human from a halfling.

In any event, adventurers are freaks. About the only thing that should be involved is making characters actually LOOK the part for their stats. A human male with an 18 strength looks like steroidal freak. A human female with an 18 strength also looks like a steroidal freak. And might have a beard. Because if you have that kind of strength, YOU ARE A STEROIDAL FREAK and should look the part! I imagine this argument would come up much less if the natural consequences followed suit: You're not going to create that "sexy" female warrior with an 18 strength. You're going to create a steroidal, muscle-bound freak who may even have a beard. But if you want to do that, you can.

Alex

Arcane
People, I think Naked Ninja has sufficiently explained why he has chosen to not give stat penalties to women, and it has nothing to do with whether such penalties reflect real life. So, if anyone wants to discuss whether women are weaker than men, why not create another thread?

Lyric Suite said:
Naked Ninja said:

I suppose you never heard of such a thing called suspension of disbelief. Fantasy does not mean everything goes, that is a very old fallacy.

Don't be ridiculous. So somebody throwing a ball of fire from their fingertips after muttering a few words is more believeable than an incredibly strong woman? Indeed!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Naked Ninja said:
Thank you Lyric Suite, you've shown me the error of my ways. I take it all back.

Don't be a dounce. Every escapist fantasy needs to have its own set of rules and suspension of disbelief is maintained based on the consistency in which the setting is able to respect said rules. Every time you move from the improbable to the impossible (within the parameters of the fantasy) you risk of braking the fourth wall, thus compromising the whole experience. This is why we are all up in arms with skimpy female armor and retarded spiky giant swords and pauldrons because they have no place in a proper medieval inspired setting. Saying that "lol itz just fantasy guyz" is not a proper argument, and is a very tired fallacy which i assumed it would be well below the Codex by now. If women see themselves as less in fantasy worlds as they do in real life its because they are trying not to brake their suspension of disbelief, it has nothing to do with social condition or any other libtard explanation.

BlackAdder said:
Don't be ridiculous. So somebody throwing a ball of fire from their fingertips after muttering a few words is more believeable than an incredibly strong woman? Indeed!

Since there are no mages in the real world, I guess it's easier to let it pass, but a woman swinging a huge hammer around reminds you of your sister asking for help to open the pickle jar.

Then again, the PCs aren't usually playing with regular women, so meh

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Blackadder said:

It is more realistic, because while throwing a ball of fire from your fingertips is consistent with the setting, having unrealistically strong women is not. That even in my vastly reduced mental state i can still grasp the fallacy of such arguments is pretty pathetic.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
arnold-schwarzenegger-conan-the-barbarian-c101020511.jpg
VS
xena.jpg

Does anyone seriously think that

A) Conan can't beat Xena in strength? I mean, look at those ripping muscles, and those flimsy limbs.

B) That Xena is more rapeable than Conan? I mean, check out those milky boobs, and those rippling boobs.

Lyric Suite said:
Naked Ninja said:
Thank you Lyric Suite, you've shown me the error of my ways. I take it all back.

Don't be a dounce. Every escapist fantasy needs to have its own set of rules and suspension of disbelief is maintained based on the consistency in which the setting is able to respect said rules. Every time you move from the improbable to the impossible you risk of braking the fourth wall, thus compromising experience. This is why we are all up in arms with skimpy female armor and retarded spiky giant swords and pauldrons because they have no place in a proper medieval inspired setting. Saying that "lol itz just fantasy guyz" is not a proper argument, and is a very tired fallacy which i assumed it would be well below the Codex by now. If women see themselves as less in fantasy worlds as they do in real life its because they are trying not to brake their suspension of disbelief, it has nothing to do with social condition or any other libtard explanation.

Is your brain disease creeping out again? I assume you answered my post, though chose the wrong person to quote. I will answer anyway.

A proper medieval setting has no place for fireballs spewing forth from fingertips. It has no place for Evil Gods. It has no place for Orcs, magical weapons, etc. None of these actually existed. There were a number of women that were renowned warriors back in medieval times, though their strength compared to men is not recorded. There are no recordings of Dragons, Orcs, Fireball flinging Magicians, Clerics that heal people with a prayer, and so on.

There are myths and religious texts that state this, but nothing concrete based on any evidence.

If myths and religious texts, saga's, etc are the par for course, then basically there is nothing against super strong females. Just as there is nothing against Lizard men, Dog men, Cat men, etc etc the list of 'not' medieval goes on and on. Perhaps a rocket ship, or laser cannons in a medieval setting (though what would stop an extra planetary civilisation from invading an Earth like medieval setting is beyond me. I guess they supposed to wait until humans have at least invented Cannon and so on) may break the wall a touch, but strong women? give me a break.

SerratedBiz said:
arnold-schwarzenegger-conan-the-barbarian-c101020511.jpg
VS
xena.jpg

Does anyone seriously think that

A) Conan can't beat Xena in strength? I mean, look at those ripping muscles, and those flimsy limbs.

B) That Xena is more rapeable than Conan? I mean, check out those milky boobs, and those rippling boobs.

women-bodybuilder1.jpg

A challenger approaches...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Blackadder said:
A proper medieval setting has no place for fireballs spewing forth from fingertips.

Pure retardation. Of course it does have a place, because its part of the fucking setting. You are just making the same fallacy again.

Blackadder said:
There were a number of women that were renowned warriors back in medieval times.

Now you are moving from a fallacy to just plain making shit up.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
are there any screenshots or anything of this game? or is it still in blog-phase?

Lyric Suite said:
Blackadder said:
A proper medieval setting has no place for fireballs spewing forth from fingertips.

Pure retardation. Of course it does have a place, because its part of the fucking setting. You are just making the same fallacy again.

Blackadder said:
There were a number of women that were renowned warriors back in medieval times.

Now you are moving from a fallacy to just plain making shit up.

Translation: It isn't in the setting that I make up in my mind! Can't everyone see that what I think the setting is, based on my own fantasies of fireball throwing magicians really existing in medival times along with my vast knowledge of Robert E Howard's short stories proves that I am correct?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom