Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sawyer stream thread (spoilers)

Hormalakh

Magister
they white-washed sagani btw

it's hard to say without playing the game, but from what I saw, it was worse than that - they made her a cliche.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Adam Brennecke
Most of the time lighting and ambient maps just need to be tweaked in the level. The area in those screenshots from the stream still needs to be tweaked a bit according to Sean. Also in the second screenshot the party is in stealth, and when stealth is activated the party members become transparent. We are still working on it, so thanks for the feedback.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
hope they don't pussy out on making really dark places. darkness is cool.

it's hard to say without playing the game, but from what I saw, it was worse than that - they made her a cliche.
huuuuuuuuuuuh.
how do you figure?

Hormalakh

Magister
like i said, it was a very short introduction to her so it's hard to say, but i got the impressions that she fit these stereotypes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JunglePrincess
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IndianMaiden

also, except for My Lady which was Josh's main character, she was
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AffirmativeActionGirl

I don't know all the characters you can find but what we saw was that at least 4 of them are male.
kana rua, edir, aloth, durance. i'm not interested in knowing all the companions so please don't tell me who they are (that's you sensuki)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I made a side-by-side comparison and yep, they made her skin tone lighter and her face more feminine, and I don't approve of either change. Congrats Obsidian, PoE's companions are now a bunch of white people with one female Alvin, much like DAI. I'm going to blame Feargus "boobplate" Urquhart for this.

Rake

Arcane
I made a side-by-side comparison and yep, they made her skin tone lighter and her face more feminine, and I don't approve of either change. Congrats Obsidian, PoE's companions are now a bunch of white people with one female Alvin, much like DAI. I'm going to blame Feargus "boobplate" Urquhart for this.
:Feargus Urquhart is indifferent to your opinion:
:martini:
And Sawyer didn't stop him. Where is your god now?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are more male companions than female companions (5 vs 3).

...female PC confirmed as canon?

set

Cipher
If she's written well, who cares what she looks like?

Athelas

Arcane
There are more male companions than female companions (5 vs 3).

...female PC confirmed as canon?
I don't think perfectly equal gender representation is a goal they're striving for.

Interestingly enough, DA:I had an even bigger gap, with twice as many male companions as female ones.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer

I did the comparison and colour picked from the images.

SaganiBeforeAfter.jpg

So what's happened there?

1) They changed the lighting situation completely. Before she was in a more monochrome type scene, with yellow light all over. Now she's presented against a cold bluish gray background. That naturally brings out her warm skintones, which undoubtedly reads better in the small portrait format. The artist also applied more of an ambient light (bounced light and sky light), which was only present as the rimlight from the left side in the original. (also cool in colour)

2) They very slightly changed her proportions. Her head is less flat (which I kind of liked, but it looks a bit cartoony) which makes her chin stick out more, her nose is less bulbous. Yes, she's a bit "prettier", imho that's to make her immediately identifiable as female.

3) They changed her pose, changing the surrounding areas of the face, thus changing how we perceive the face in the cropped format. The pose might read clearer in the portratit box.

Now for the tone itself - I colourpicked several spots on her face (around 10) and the lightness difference is a shocking range of 2-6%.
I think it's mainly due to the change in lighting, which added some indirect and bounced light, especially from below.

Let's not forget the updated version is captured from a twitch stream and it very likely doesn't represent true colours you'll see ingame. (there might be internal compression or colour shift in the recording software or the twitch interface)

While I do prefer the previous version in some aspects, I'll wait and see how Sagani actually ends up looking in the game. We can always switch the portrait to the old version quite easily.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: What the fuck?

Are you really trying to educate Codexers about social justice norms with TVTropes links?

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Like, what are you even...

Is she a MNA? Hardly. She's a dwarf dressed in furs,because she's from the tundra or some shit. (not a native american from, you know, the real world) Is she magical? Ranger, unless something changed. Even if she magicked, she'd be one of many characters who magick in that bloody world. (the magical native is supposed to be magical BECAUSE they're a native, and an exception because of it) Neither does magic in PoE come from "affinity with nature" , does it? (comes from souls)

As for the noble savage, that remains to be seen. I kinda doubt they'd make her that simple.

Hormalakh

Magister
:lol: What the fuck?

Are you really trying to educate Codexers about social justice norms with TVTropes links?

no.

Like, what are you even...

Is she a MNA? Hardly. She's a dwarf dressed in furs,because she's from the tundra or some shit. (not a native american from, you know, the real world) Is she magical? Ranger, unless something changed. Even if she magicked, she'd be one of many characters who magick in that bloody world. (the magical native is supposed to be magical BECAUSE they're a native, and an exception because of it) Neither does magic in PoE come from "affinity with nature" , does it? (comes from souls)

As for the noble savage, that remains to be seen. I kinda doubt they'd make her that simple.

As I said in my previous posts it's hard to say from a very short piece of the game but that was the impression I got: The stereotypes aren't precise which is why I mentioned a few of them - I could be wrong about any of them and MNA probably isn't the best descriptor.

Copper

Savant
It is a bit of a shame they just went with American actors, but thank god they don't have American actors doing 'Ze German' or 'A little bit Welsh, boyo' accents.

It is funny though - all those different words for stuff, and everyone speaks the same language perfectly, and uses baby-boomer generation words like 'necking'. What would the Hanna Barbera version be? The Adrasons?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well to be fair, the IE games used american actors for the most part.

Yeah, that's an interesting point. The whole "fantasy must have British accents everywhere" thing is actually a relatively recent evolution, at least in video games.

Copper

Savant
Yeah, DnD has always had its heart in the American Midwest to my mind, and it's better than Dragon Age le accent du fromage wankery. Having everyone speaking perfect Esperanto is still amusing, even if it is the 'best choice'.

I did like all two lines of Banner Saga dialog with the Icelandic actors though (despite the fact that it didn't sit well with some of the more Whedonese written dialog.)

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What you need are voice actors with more of a theatre background than film. Film voice actors are shit-tier and very often sound like your typical college guy.

The Fish

Arcane
European accents of any variety seem less jarring to me in fantasy for whatever reason.

I just want the option to mute dialogue which I believe isn't in the current build's options menu.

The whole game's aesthetics are a bit shit to be honest; the bland city with its odd square lawns dotted about, the poor quality portraits.

set

Cipher
I'd love to play an RPG which used BanjoKazooie-speak as the voice over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom