Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Saints Row the Fourth

Saints Row: The-Epic-Cash-In-We-Based-Off-Those-Scribbles-Someone-Kept-Leaving-Outside-Our-Office-Door

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I also finished it tonight.

I liked my hippie lady with a french accent. The rest of the cast was unimpressive, except for a couple of cameos.
Gameplay was varied but hardly innovative. Lots of silliness but never any good jokes.
Entertaining, though.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Volition have said that the next installment, if there is one, will be a reboot - whatever form it takes, this is the end of the Boss' story. It's probably for the best. I'll actually kind of miss the characters, but they pretty much all had neat little bows tied around their personal stories in this installment, getting any more out of them and their VAs would be drawing blood from a stone. I kind of want to see a reboot with the player as a common goon set in the current continuity - you start off in a San Andreas-clone world working your way up, maybe with some down-to-earth story about getting your brother out of jail or something, whatever. But as you become more respected, the inherent silliness of the setting starts to reveal itself, as you cross wacky eccentric gangleaders and participate in Murder Time Fun Time. Eventually, when your brother is killed or something by a seemingly super-powered villain, you decide to track down the legend of the Saints, the superpowered starfaring gangsters that rule the cosmos like gods. Through trial by fire, you become baptised as a Saint and return to your city with a full range of basic powers to get your revenge against the superpowered gang that have entrenched themselves as its rulers.

Probably a bit too much for one game, but it would be a great sense of progression and be a good microcosm of the series, with plenty of opportunity to balance silliness and seriousness. I don't think they can just go back to GTA-clone-style after this - driving around in Saints Row would just feel anemic after running up buildings, flying and being a nuke in Saints Row. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with - at this point, I think they have to rein in a few excesses story and setting-wise, but a reboot would probably take care of that pretty much by itself.

On the other hand, they could go all-out, explain that the Boss did in fact achieve CHIM after their near-death experience, and that the series so far has been them remaking the world in their own image, culminating in a pretentious conceptually-driven experimental Saints Row V adventure game about becoming the star baby from 2001.

edit: 5aint'5 Row

r1EV9OO.jpg

Yep, that's what I got.

My performance was initially really terrible too, to the point where I was contemplating just pirating the PS3 version. Fortunately, after putting in a few hours, the game unaccountably decided to start running near-perfectly. I didn't change anything. I have no fucking idea to be honest.

Last edited:

Indranys

Savant
Volition have said that the next installment, if there is one, will be a reboot
Bro please, give me the link.

If it really happens, I think that's for the best too. The old fans who want San Andreas clones won't haunt Volition again, they can replay their SR1+2 again and again and even mod something with the official toolsets for eternity with no false hope of a faithful SR sequel.
The future of SR will be moar and moar lulz and shit. Purple dildos and aliens make millions, so they won't change that.
After 2 or 3 silly sequels people will just get tired eventually, the sales will be poor or at least declined IMO.
LARPing friendly games like San Andreas and SR2 will never die, people play them again and again just to explore and find secrets and stuff. While too retarded things like SRTT&SR4 are only fun for a single playthrough, and no sane people will LARP themselves as US presidents who fight aliens in VR world for too long.
At least the old fans can finally rest in peace, for no one will taint the old crews and Johnny Gat again.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
How can anyone miss these characters? Utterly one-dimensional and generic.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Anybody know a mod that removes blue glow from super power use? No matter how you customizae your character all you're staring at is a light-blue outline. Gets kindda stale.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
as i leapt off a skyscraper and powerbombed an angry toilet before electrifying it and throwing it at a hideous cat-man before he could blast me across the street with a fireball, i sighed inside and wished i was looking at beeg american teetees instead

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My God, the game is fun and all, but fuck me if the side-quests aren't the worst bullshit game-lengthening crack I've dealt with for a while. The pacing goes to shit if you complete each series of side-quests when you get them. Basically the game becomes Cool Story Cutscene for 2 minutes - Exciting Story Segment Gameplay for 5 minutes - BANAL SHIT BORING side-quest activity grinding for 30 minutes.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My God, the game is fun and all, but fuck me if the side-quests aren't the worst bullshit game-lengthening crack I've dealt with for a while. The pacing goes to shit if you complete each series of side-quests when you get them. Basically the game becomes Cool Story Cutscene for 2 minutes - Exciting Story Segment Gameplay for 5 minutes - BANAL SHIT BORING side-quest activity grinding for 30 minutes.
Most of the bonuses you can unlock through the side quests are crap though, so you can safely skip them.

DeepOcean

Arcane
That was what killed me, ignore any side activity and do only the loyalty and primary missions or you will get bored so fast that by the time you decide doing the main missions you will not have the will to continue. Only do the sidequest that Keith David gives to you that gives you the power to run without spending stamina. You aren't going to need the extra upgrades and weapons that the other sidequests give to you as the game is already easy with the standard powers and weapons.

Can't you just do the side activities alternated with the main ones, instead of completing an entire series of side missions as soon as they're available? That's how I played SR2, and am playing SR3 at the moment. This way I don't progress through the story too quickly, and don't get burned out on the activities.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom