Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware RPGCodex plays Dungeon Crawl Classics

nikolokolus

Arcane
Siegbert perks up at Gylan calling his name and nods, "seems a good nuff plan. No tellin' what foul sorcery propels 'em. Better tae make sure." as he finishes, he strides back toward the throne where the "general" and the other clay figures stand and begins whacking away at their legs to topple them. Nicomedes walks up the orb, sweat beads up on his forehead and his palms. He wipes his brow with the back of his hands and rubs them on his tunic to dry them. "Stand back everyone, I've got an idea. Siegbert, kindly knock one of the heads off one of those statues and bring it to me."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Barry chuckles, "No need to tell me twice." Barry steps around the pit to the left, backing off a bit but still keeping a close distance if danger presents itself. Wesker follows close behind while Pobbin walks to the right, opposite. Wesker adds in, "Be careful Nicomedes, no telling what would happen if you disturb such an object. Magicial beings, gargantuan traps who knows?"

The trio still have their weapons drawn. Pobbin holds a dagger by the blade, ready to throw it, a club in his other hand. Barry fearfully wielding his axe and Wesker with a lone dagger.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Siegbert, Hep and Poul carefully approached the clay generals. Sensing no peculiar movements, they started smashing the legs of the clay statues. The three were very nervous the entire time, fearing that the clay men may suddenly come to life.

Thankfully, such events did not happen. Soon, all seven clay statues were lying on the floor, their legs broken. Breathing a sigh of relief, Siegbert carefully knocked a statue's head off and gave it to Nicomedes.

Alchemist

Arcane
"Nice work fellas! I think it'll be much safer to mess with that sphere now" says Gylan.

Ogin, Gylan
and Arbin move to the left side (not directly in front) of the throne as they watch to see what Nicomedes does next with the glowing sphere. Their weapons are drawn and ready.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Nicomedes blows on the tips of his fingers and rubs them together lightly, "Somebody hand me a knife or a dagger. Call me paranoid, but something tells me that whoever placed this crystal orb here probably has a nasty surprise for anybody thinking they can take it with just a 'please and a thank you.' I'm going to try and slide a blade under it and press down in case there's some kind of trigger underneath that releases unholy death on our heads. Once that's in place, I'm going to need somebody to carefully lift the orb, while Siegbert rolls that clay head into its place." Siegbert nods slowly and swallows hard, "Ahreet lad, I understand. Tell me 'when'." Hob nervously pipes in, "Be careful you two ... I'm ... uhhhm ... just going to stand back over here." He moves about 10 paces back.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Having explained what he wanted to do, Nicomedes took a deep breath as he tried to calm himself down. Once he had calmed down a bit, the wainwright inserted his dagger beneath the crystal orb. Though he couldn't feel anything under the orb with his blade, Nicomedes still pressed the dagger down just in case. Then, hand trembling uncontrollably, he reached out for the shining crystal globe. Siegbert, who had been waiting nervously beside the throne, placed the clay head into the hole on the throne almost as soon as Nicomedes removed the orb from it.

Siegbert's agility check (1d20=1)

Unfortunately, it seems Siegbert was a bit too hasty with his action. Whether because the hole was too shallow or the dwarf had shaky hands, the clay head lost its balance. There was a deep "bang", as well as some crack sound, as the head crashed onto ground.

All was frozen for a moment. Nicomedes stands still before the throne, one of his hand holding the crystal orb and the other holding the dagger, still pressed on the bottom of the hole. Now that the crystal globe has been removed, Nicomedes can see that there's nothing else in the hole. Removing the crystal orb had no adverse effects... At least, not any you're currently aware of.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hep sighs in relief. "Ok, we got it. I'm surprised it was that easy." He nervously walks to the entrance to the room and looks for any incoming danger.

Poul looks at him in alarm. "Don't ever say anything like that... besides, think of how many people we've lost and we still need to escape somehow."

Alchemist

Arcane
Ogin breathes a sigh of relief as nothing horrible seems to have happened from removing the sphere. "Well done Nicomedes. Now I reckon we should move along and get ourselves out of this chamber. That muddy pit gives me the creeps."

Arbin says "I didn't find any secret things around the throne but maybe there's a passage we haven't found somewhere. Otherwise the only way out of this room is where we came in right? I'm not going into that pit to see what's in there..."

Gylan remarks "Yeah that orb will fetch a nice bit of gold - but I'm sure there's more to find in this place. I remember another door we haven't tried - but it's back in that accursed fire-slinging monument room. Even if we make a break for the exit we'll need to go through there anyway. What say you all - backtrack a bit and see what else we find?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Nicomedes winces and hunches his shoulders, bracing himself for the worst when Siegbert fumbles the head and it crashes to the floor. Hearing no sounds and feeling no cold death consume him, he slowly opens his eyes and looks down at the dagger and the orb with a flush of excitement. "Egads! Siegbert you just about stopped my heart you clumsy oaf!"

Siegbert
furrows his brow and gives Nicomedes a withering look before shouting, "Go fook yirself, you shite eatin' son o' a lice ridden 'ore. 'twere ye that bumbled and knocked the fookin thing from me 'ands when ye snatched up that ball tae quickly! If'n ye doon want me help then dae it yirself from now on!" Siegbert turns on his heels fuming and stomps loudly over towards Hob.

Hob fusses with the hem of his tunic a bit his eyes wide with wonder at the orb held in Nicomedes hand. "He din mean nuthin' by it Ziggy. I'll be honest I nearly leapt out of my skin when that head went crashing to the ground. Let's a look around and see what we can find that we might have missed."

The dwarf and the Halfling then start to perform a careful inspection of the stones in the floor and the wall, doing a full circuit. Siegbert taps his pick along the wall and Hob mostly mimics him knocking the butt end of his handaxe along side him, occasionally looking down to see if there are any weird patterns in the floor. He lights his lone candle and walks it beside the wall trying check for any drafts that might be leaking in from an adjacent chamber or hidden passage.

Meanwhile, Nicomedes sits in rapt attention, peering deeply into the crystal wondering if it might be something like a crystal ball from a wizards' tale.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Nicomedes tried to do some research on the crystal orb he had just obtained. The thing obviously has some magical power, but Nicomedes couldn't tell if it has any uses other than as a permanent light source.

Hob's search check (1d20+1=2)
Siegbert and Hob spent several minutes searching the walls and floors and discovered absolutely nothing unusual.
Maybe you guys should start rolling you own checks yourself.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I trust you, but I guess I was thinking Siegbert and Hob would have seperate checks?

FWIW, I've never really played/run DCC as a game with frequent skill checks, I've always sort of followed the idea that if players describe their actions in detail I frequently let that substitute for a roll (assuming of course that there's anything to find) but this is your game and that may not work for you.

All that matters is that we're having fun and I'm definitely having fun.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
"Nowhere else to go it seems," Hep says while also checking the walls for a hidden passage.

"I'd hate to have to go through that death spitting statue again," Poul agrees.

1d20=6, 1d20=14

OOC: Hep gets a 6, Poul a 14.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I trust you, but I guess I was thinking Siegbert and Hob would have seperate checks?

FWIW, I've never really played/run DCC as a game with frequent skill checks, I've always sort of followed the idea that if players describe their actions in detail I frequently let that substitute for a roll (assuming of course that there's anything to find) but this is your game and that may not work for you.

All that matters is that we're having fun and I'm definitely having fun.
Each player only rolls one search check for all their characters. (I'm doing this because I don't want to deal with 20 characters all rolling their own search check)

Regarding the necessity of the search check: I can see where you're coming from, but ultimately I think it comes down to evaluation of the difficulty of a task. Say there's a desk with a hidden button in its underside. You declare that you would search the surface and undersurface of the desk for any hollows, buttons or other oddities. The search would be an automatic success because specifically looking for something on such a relatively small object is a task that is basically impossible to fail (unless your characters are in a hurry), but this scenario is different. This room is huge. Even if there was a secret and you were looking in the right place in the right way, discovering the secret is still going to be anything but easy. Of course, if you'd correctly specified where and how you'll be searching for the secret, the DC would be drastically lowered. But there would still be a very small chance of failing. People are fallible like that. Personally, I believe this to be realistic. Of course, we all know that realistic doesn't necessarily equal fun in games, but I think some uncertainty does add to the atmosphere.
Refusing to give up, Hep and Poul joined the search. It seems like the two are luckier than Siegbert and Hob - on the left side of the dais, near the floor, Hep noticed a very small and very well hidden button. A broken shard of crystal happened to fall on the button, covering it. No wonder Hob missed this...

Alchemist

Arcane
Seeing that Hep and Poul found something - Gylan heads over to them to take a look. "Arbin, it looks like you missed something." he says. Ogin and Arbin head over and onto the dais with Gylan.

"Oh drat! Sorry about that... my eyes must still be adjusting to that strange light that orb gives off." Arbin says sheepishly. "Well then - is someone going to push it and see what happens?" He looks toward Hep and Poul...

OOC:
Wanted to give Hep or Poul the honor of pushing the button they found.

Siveon

Bot
We're linking youtube videos now? Shit, we're going all out.

Barry and the others immediately readies into a combat position.

"If I die, call my sister a whore for me." Pobbin grimaces.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Everyone held their breath as Hep pressed the button. At first, nothing seemed to happen. Then you heard a heavy cranking noise as a wall nearby swings to reveal a dark, twisty corridor that goes as far as your eyes can see (which is actually not that far).

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Hep takes the lead with his makeshift torch. "See, we won't have to go past that rotating statue. I'm sure whatever down there is much better." He walks with his spear point in front of him.

Poul shrugs and grips his hand-axe in both hands as he follows. "Set to defend with your spear if anything comes out and I'll try to brain it with my axe."

Alchemist

Arcane
"Brilliant! Well done sir - the real treasure hoard is bound to be down this way. Why else would it be secret? We're going to be rich fellas!" - says Gylan.

Ogin, Gylan and Arbin (in that order) follow behind Hep and Poul down the newly revealed corridor, their weapons ready.

Siveon

Bot
"Ah, just our luck. I feared our adventure would end on that note! Time to earn our keep, you two." Wesker waves the two onlookers over.

Barry walks in front, Pobbin second, and Wesker last. The three make their way down the steps, as prepared as they'll ever be.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Many of the party were quite nervous as they marched down the cramped hallway, because this would be an ideal place for an ambush. Fortunately, there're apparently no ferocious monsters or deadly traps residing this corridor. The adventuers eventually emerged from the long hallway to find themselves in a spartanly appointed room containing simple wooden shelves, a camp chair, and a sleeping pallet. The wooden shelves hold a bronze rod, a copper brazier, some fine weapons and armor, and a brass-bound tome. In the center of the floor is a large pentacle with a perfect crystal circle at its center. Inside the circle is a stone table on which rests a wrinkled ancient body whose countenance matches the war-wizard whose monument you have seen before. At the head of the table is a concave depression.

Siveon

Bot
"What a sight to behold." Barry says as he walks into the room. "Aye, and look, isn't that a familiar face?" Pobbin points to the body.

Wesker eyes the concave depression at the head of the table. "I believe we just found out what that crystal ball is for, gentlemen."

Barry makes a hurried pace to one of the shelves gazing at the weapon selection with a worried look on his face. "Yes, well, perhaps we should prepare ourselves before making any hasty decisions? Forgive me, but I can't help but be afraid of magical signs and old men laying in mysterious tombs."

Hey guys...do I smell boss fight?

Also: YES, two-for-two.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Nicomedes, Siegbert and Hob follow after the group. Their eyes go wide at the sight of the burial chamber. Siegbert whistles softly, Hob stands with his mouth agape and Nicomedes' hands tremble slightly as a wanton greed plays clearly over his features. His eye alight on the crystal in the middle of the pentacle and he glances down at the one he carries in his hand. "Hey I wonder if these two crystals are mated in some way? And look at that concavity on the table. Anyone want to find out what happens if I put the crystal from the other room in there? Maybe it's the key to opening a door out of here?" Nicomedes makes a move to head of the table awaiting any protests before he does anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom