Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG of the Year 2014 Community Vote

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm done slagging on this game, and basically I want to forget.

Well, those observations are pretty fair, but they stop being so broadly applicable after Arizona.

The first half of the game railroaded you from one environment to another and more or less plays like you said, like a bad turn-based Icewind Dale. The second half of the game places a greater emphasis on investigation and intelligent use of skills. The focus on looting shifts from randomized gear in crates to looting bodies or sneaking your way into treasuries through back doors. Use of non combat skills is rarer, but more meaningful. Cohesiveness between the plot and sub plots increases and things like "Toaster Repair" take on mildly interesting role-playing connotations.

What does Wasteland 2 have over Divinity: Original Sin?
Better character creation, I liked D:OS's character creation, but not compared to the enjoyment of making my Ranger squad in Wasteland 2. Progression felt better in D:OS, but was negated by the cheap respec fairly early in the game. Cheapens the experience to where not just respeccing to beat so and so fight is a matter of LARPing as opposed to something supported by game mechanics.
Better/more/bigger c&c, Wasteland 2 offers multiple choices to dealing with quests and encounters, a lot of which permanently alter the Wasteland or affect things down the road. Whatever c&c there is in D:OS doesn't really feel important, more like the result of whatever fucking around you did over a supported choice or playstyle.
Better writing(Better story, Better characters), preference, but I don't remember much about the characters and story in D:OS, and what I do is mostly goofy shit.
Reactivity, the game is very reactive, from the minor acknowledgements of almost every character to bigger more dynamic things like quest outcomes dependant on things outside of the obvious choices. My experience with that kind of thing in D:OS was usually met with silence.(Free someone with teleport only to have them act as if they are still captured type of thing.)
Finally, Larian clearly had no faith in it's fuck around style, which is all it had going for it really, and patched the fuck out of my game mid playthrough, nerfing my character like in some shitty MMO and removing cool features before I was even done. Of course I could and should just respec, but I like making characters in RPGs, not choosing my skin and current fight loadout a la Bioshock.

Overall D:OS is a fun game, nice early game combat, but from it's itemization to it's storyline, it always feels like more of a toy.(Magic simulator with ARPEEGEE elements tacked on.) Wasteland 2 is the better RPG for me, I don't have the issue with my attention span when it comes to opening lockboxes(Muh immediate gratification.), partly because I don't bother to savescum the game and don't always invest in every skill point.(Pure combat party has been doable in my experience.) Anyhow Larian acknowledges it's flaws, and I believe the game has been improved over the subsequent patches, so it feels good to have supported it. Definitely not a game I'd lament getting "RPG" of the year, but not my personal pick either.

Weasel
It's an unproductive time across the industry. CEO's, coders and coffee-brewing interns in tight tops have forsaken their usual duties for pressing refresh on the Codex front page. Steam and GOG ready additional servers for the inevitable spike in demand. The top award in gaming is about to be announced, fortunes will be made and lost this day.

roshan

Arcane
Better character creation, I liked D:OS's character creation, but not compared to the enjoyment of making my Ranger squad in Wasteland 2. Progression felt better in D:OS, but was negated by the cheap respec fairly early in the game. Cheapens the experience to where not just respeccing to beat so and so fight is a matter of LARPing as opposed to something supported by game mechanics.
Better/more/bigger c&c, Wasteland 2 offers multiple choices to dealing with quests and encounters, a lot of which permanently alter the Wasteland or affect things down the road. Whatever c&c there is in D:OS doesn't really feel important, more like the result of whatever fucking around you did over a supported choice or playstyle.
Better writing(Better story, Better characters), preference, but I don't remember much about the characters and story in D:OS, and what I do is mostly goofy shit.
Reactivity, the game is very reactive, from the minor acknowledgements of almost every character to bigger more dynamic things like quest outcomes dependant on things outside of the obvious choices. My experience with that kind of thing in D:OS was usually met with silence.(Free someone with teleport only to have them act as if they are still captured type of thing.)
Finally, Larian clearly had no faith in it's fuck around style, which is all it had going for it really, and patched the fuck out of my game mid playthrough, nerfing my character like in some shitty MMO and removing cool features before I was even done. Of course I could and should just respec, but I like making characters in RPGs, not choosing my skin and current fight loadout a la Bioshock.

Overall D:OS is a fun game, nice early game combat, but from it's itemization to it's storyline, it always feels like more of a toy.(Magic simulator with ARPEEGEE elements tacked on.) Wasteland 2 is the better RPG for me, I don't have the issue with my attention span when it comes to opening lockboxes(Muh immediate gratification.), partly because I don't bother to savescum the game and don't always invest in every skill point.(Pure combat party has been doable in my experience.) Anyhow Larian acknowledges it's flaws, and I believe the game has been improved over the subsequent patches, so it feels good to have supported it. Definitely not a game I'd lament getting "RPG" of the year, but not my personal pick either.

I found Wasteland 2 character creation to be very tedious... After doing two characters it got repetitive and boring. Most of the skills are too similar, there is no interplay between stats and skills, no traits to make each character play uniquely, designing the ranger's look was utterly horrid and a very tiring process.

All characters generated seemed to be just cosmetically different, flavours of the same basic thing. Oh this one does safes and uses shotguns. This guy does brute force and uses rifles. This guy does locks and uses pistols. Pretty awful stuff really.

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
Even though Wasteland 2 is somewhat shitty is several departments, it's still several classes above Divinity.
Because of its flawed progression, it becomes a borefest in the second half when you become too overpowered. And that inventory and crafting system... I still have nightmares to this day.
If Divinity takes first place, you fuckers don't go looking for the decline out here, because its right here in the house!

Amen

roshan
Not for me, I enjoyed every bit of it, doing a let's play with my group of friends on an obscure forum's gaming board was great because of the character customization. Granted I argued for traits as well, and I still do want them, but it didn't change that I liked what was provided anyway. And if you want to talk visual, c'mon, visually D:OS's character creation was awful, you had WoW man, and his many skintones, but no option to not have retarded popeye forearms.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jesus, what butthurt?

How many years have been where a great amount of the candidates have been actual CRPGs? You should be happy that this time there's an interesting debate over which one is the best of the year, goddamnit.

Athelas

Arcane
Pretty much the differences you would expect. Wasteland II placed very obvious emphasis on old school design elements.
I don't see why old school sensibilities can't make use of modern technology. D:OS use of magic as a tool of environmental interaction is a better 'skill system' than that of Wasteland 2. I dislike a lot of things about D:OS but this is one thing that it does exceptionally well.

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Say what you will about the shortcomings of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, it firmly held my interest from beginning to end. I like WL2 and D:OS, but I got bored with both somewhere around the middle and had to take a break, and I still haven't finished them yet. So Dragonfall gets my personal storyfaggy RPGOTY. I'm happy that all of them exist though. :happytrollboy:

vvv True enough. vvv

Last edited:
Weasel
Say what you will about the shortcomings of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, it firmly held my interest from beginning to end. I like WL2 and D:OS, but I got bored with both somewhere around the middle and had to take a break, and I still haven't finished them yet. So Dragonfall gets my personal storyfaggy RPGOTY.

But isn't half of D:OS / WL2 still longer than Dragonfall?

:troll:

Not really disagreeing though. I've just thought for a while that D:OS has almost been penalised for making such a long game, and would have been rated higher if they'd made a more focused game which ended when people still wanted more.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What does Wasteland 2 have over Divinity: Original Sin?
Actual answer: reactivity, c&c, more open world.

Personally I think it has better writing and more interesting scenarios with which to interact, but I can see why people don't like WL2 in this deparment.

Gregz

Arcane
When are we going to get our totally flawed, skewed, 1000+ 'members' consensus?!?

I must know if I'm a faggot or not!

Last edited:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2 is banal, shit, boring taken to a whole new level.

D:OS is a much better RPG and a much better game. If it doesn't win, I'll lose all faith in muh Codex.

:codexisfor:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
According to first results in the content forum, Wasteland 2 got the goty. Uh-oh

Ninjerk

Arcane
Wasteland 2 is banal, shit, boring taken to a whole new level.

D:OS is a much better RPG and a much better game. If it doesn't win, I'll lose all faith in muh Codex.

:codexisfor:
There's a lot
of shitposting
riding on this vote.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom