Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey felipepepe when will you guys ban everyone who voted for Dragon's Age as we discussed in our PM?

K', fixed the System Shock 2 issue and updated the lists & graphs on the OP. Now 1999 is even more ahead of every other year.

Also added the Bayesian Average to the developers rank. It changes almost nothing, so I left it ranked by points.

felipepepe I think You really shouldn't count M&B and M&B: W as different games. I mean one plays it only for it's gameplay mechanics. I think everyone who chose one of those really meant both as everyone who chose G2 and G2:NoR really chose the same game. It would mean that M&B gets into the top 50.
We had a huge discussion about this. Gothic 2 is grouped with Night of the Raven because it was released as so outside of Germany. World of Xeen is grouped as well because they were made to be played together from the start, and there's vast ammount of extra content only accessible this way.

Games like Mount & Blade/Warband or Ultima 7/Serpent Isle are separate releases, and will be counted as so.

I am sure that Gothic 2 and Night of Revan were a separate releases in Poland. Also Warband is Mount&Blade with MP. Quite sure that Mp was not the reason people submitted it, so it leaves Warband as M&B. Also I don't see BG 1 expansion as a separate entry in the list.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
New Vegas in the top 10?

:what:

:notsureifserious:

or

mHM3DMk.jpg

:Flash:

Arcane
Codex is biased towards the second incline.
I still don't understand why I prefer the pre-1995 era. I didn't start playing RPGs until after the second incline, but I could never get into the late 90's games. The Pre95-list is my thing, though.

No Fates: Gates of Dawn.

RPGCodex, I am disappoint.
Felipe didn't allow votes for non-PC games.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
More people need to play Anachronox, I guess.

Everybody needs to play Anachronox. At least once a year.

People not having played awesome games is likely the main reason why the official list (by total points) is so shit.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Better correct the wikipedia article then, since it claims otherwise.

Zetor

Arcane
FWIW in Hungary the computer / gaming mags of the early 90s (and late 80s) differentiated between "C-64", "Atari", "Amiga" and "PC".

That said, the 'C' in CRPG stands for 'computer', not 'PC', so Fate could be allowed (knowing the codex, it's just about time for semantic debates about the definition of 'computer' then)... though I personally wouldn't consider it a top50 game either way.
More people need to play Anachronox, I guess.
I played (and liked) Anachronox, I just happen to have played a lot of other CRPGs that I liked even more. HOWEVER, more people need to play Superhero League of Hoboken and/or Freedom Force. /angryface

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So some of the best cRPGs from the early 90s shouldn't be allowed in this rating because they've been released on the wrong personal computer? What is this?!

Having said that the discussion is pretty pointless since no amiga game has even made it into the top 50.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
How the fuck are older games overlooked on the codex?

Because we have a huge influx of newer people. The lists in the past, were all when the Old Ones were more prevalent on the codex. Most of the Old Ones rarely visit here anymore. And now looking at this list, with reason. :lol:

:Flash:

Arcane
FWIW in Hungary the computer / gaming mags of the early 90s (and late 80s) differentiated between "C-64", "Atari", "Amiga" and "PC".
I remember that use as well. Even the titles of the magazines were accordingly.
Perhaps it's a European - America thing. Mobygames uses "Dos" and "Windows" for IBM-PC versions, whereas The Legacy (German) uses "PC (DOS)" and PC (Windows).
I can now see it wasn't meant that way, but I read Felipe's "only PC games" and thought "well that's a bit unfair on Fate".

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
How the fuck are older games overlooked on the codex?

Because we have a huge influx of newer people. The lists in the past, were all when the Old Ones were more prevalent on the codex. Most of the Old Ones rarely visit here anymore. And now looking at this list, with reason. :lol:
Not necessarily the case considering the biggest Black Isle/Troika fanboys tend to -2005 people

You mostly see newer people like Deuce, Octavius, Sceptic when it comes to older shit

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
To be fair, Dark Souls is more old school than most old school games.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, do we even have a similar list from the early days of the Codex? AFAIK there was no popular votes, just lists from staff members. And all I ever saw was Top 5's, and they are EXACTLY the same 5 games for 11 years now... I fail to see such decline in the overall tastes.

Especially compared to the massive decline that the rest of the world went since the founding of the Codex, an era when Black Isle was still alive, working on Fallout 3 and Baldur's Gate 3...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom