Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by felipepepe, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Ninja Destroyer Arcane

Ninja Destroyer
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    It only takes a dedicated man to make something good. Nice job felipepepe :salute:

Both parts of Witcher are great, if you are a storyfag. Dragon Age, on the other hand, felt to me like a game with great potential, but in the end it was boring and mediocre. A couple of nice quests and C&C, but it was too long and I wouldn't put it on this list.

Oh, and Morrowind is higher than F:NV. Suck it down Roguey :martini:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Again, that's cute in theory, but most down-votes would certainly be due prejudice or trolling, not actual flaws.

Games that people either love or hate, like Alpha Protocol, would be squished between 8/10s and 1/10s, giving them a low average score. You punish the rough gems that are interesting, and reward the mediocre games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ravel myluv Learned

Ravel myluv
    Parrots:
    True. And as much as everyone hates Bioware and Bethesda here, I don't think the 0/10 that Dragon Age or Morrowind would certainly get are deserved.

^ Top  
  4. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

I find it interesting that the Codex "Golden Age" (1997-2004) began during the sea change across all AAA publishers to corner the "MMORPG Gold Rush" that Everquest and Ultima Online uncovered, UO (1997) and EQ (1999), and ended one year after WoW was released (2004).

[​IMG]

Other factors include the introduction of bit torrent in 2001

[​IMG]

And the surge of next-gen console sales peaking in 2004

[​IMG]

There's no doubt these factors contributed heavily to the post 2004 decline.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  5. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Any kind of voting system prefers "solid mediocrity" over "flawed gems". The only way to offset that is to manipulate counting in some way.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Gregz The Codex "Golden Age" is almost an accident of history and could easily not have happened. Interplay was already going against the reigning industry trends of the time by releasing single player isometric RPGs with 2D graphics. If Brian Fargo and Feargus Urquhart were a bit more popamole, the RPG genre as we know it might not have existed.

V_K A rating system wouldn't work because, even if there was no trolling or edginess, every person has his own personal scale of what the ratings mean. One person's 7 isn't equivalent to another person's 7. You know how all the Web 2.0 sites went from 5 star rating systems to "Like"-based systems? There's a reason for that.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  7. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    You (and probably felipepepe too) are reading my comment too literally. All I'm saying that the current list becomes much more interesting if sorted by average vote, and thus a "how fond a player is of a given game on average" criterion would probably be a better way to measure a game's merit than a "how many people are fond of a given game", no matter weighted (as in current poll) or not (as in previous ones). I'm not suggesting an exact method to calculate such a figure.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    All RPGs currently in existence are junk.

^ Top  
  9. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    V_K, here's the list ranked by averages:

[​IMG]

While it is very interesting, it's a fact that is heavily distorted by games like Star Trail... the less votes a game has, the easier he gets a higher average.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Brzęczyszczykiewicz Arcane

Brzęczyszczykiewicz
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    Also interesting thing is that Baldur's Gate 2 has more votes(whole one vote more) than Fallout 2.

^ Top  
  11. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I actually like this second list by averages better. It puts Dragon Age and KOTOR further down, and the Ultima games, Jagged Alliance 2, and Quest for Glory IV further up.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Visperas Learned

Visperas
    Parrots:
    That's the spirit! :flamesaw:

^ Top  
  13. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Parrots:
    Given the nature of the Codex, I think this is a strenght of your voting system felipe. This is a forum with a news page, not the other way around. There's no 'central authority', be it the 'reviewers' or 'journalists' of the staff, that dictates their taste as though its the whole community. It is a melting pot of different ideas and all it takes for something to happen in here, be it a review or a especially made votes, is for someone to make a thread about it. If a small group of people who actually like the kind of game Star Trail is gives it a high score then its no different from a poster you know recommending you a game.

^ Top  
  14. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Well, since Start Trail is one of my 5-pointers and generally the best gmae eva, I wouldn't exactly call it distortion.... :troll:

^ Top  
  15. buzz Arcane

buzz
    Parrots:
    I don't know felipepepe, that list looks pretty dope:thumbsup:.

Try using the bayesian average:
    (C*m+R*v)/m+v

C - the general mean (I guess that would be 2.5 in our case)
    m - minimum number of votes (say 30 or whatever you want)
    R - the average score for the particular game
    v - total number of votes for the game

My math is a bit rusty so I don't remember it exactly, but this is what some websites with lists/ranks use.

edit: I see you also have the release date in your spreadsheet. Would you mind making two or more lists by "ages"? Before 95 and after 95 would be good enough I think.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DSW Novice

DSW
    Parrots:
    Fixed. Do not punish, agree and accept the truth. Star Trail is a gem.

^ Top  
  17. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Icewind Dale ranking higher than Ultima7 and is Dark Souls ranking higher than Ultima Underworld are better examples. There are others.

^ Top  
  18. I_am_Ian Arbiter Patron

I_am_Ian
    Parrots:
    According to this list Wizardry 8 has the best combat and character development in any RPG ever. It's also the highest rated turn and party based game on the list.

It's only number 10 because it wasn't made for those with a short attention span (mentally challenged).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Fallout 1/2 and Arcanum all have turn based combat and parties

:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

Very interesting results, but I still prefer the one in the OP. Deus Ex went from #11 to #37, quite weird...

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  21. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Yeah, just put this one at the top of the OP.

I knew mathematics could turn the Codex average into something I agree with. :love:

^ Top  
  22. throwaway Savant

throwaway
    Parrots:
    I see now why you got your reputation. Still no reason to be fence sitting and not even rank the "junk".

^ Top  
  23. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:

This looks better i think, completely different eras with their own merits. Maybe next time there will be a post 2013 chart as well, starting with grimrock.

^ Top  
  25. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    If I'm reading this formula correctly, it means that games with few votes and low average would significantly improve their standing. I'm not sure I agree with such concept.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)