Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, probably. I'm trying to think of alternatives... I like doing various poster reviews per game, but this time I want to focus more on the stuff below the obvious Top 10... I don't think we need 5 people telling us why Fallout is cool... AGAIN.
Why don't you employ people who gave the most points to each game to write a few sentence long reviews explaining why they are so good? If someone gave a game a 5/4, he/she should be able to justify it.
You could then choose the best (in your opinion) short review(s) for the game and post them along with the final list.

It would (theoretically) work for both top games and the more obscure ones, I don't think there will be many games that make the final top list and only get 1s, 2s and 3s from people.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I like that idea, but I'm a bit unsure... If we do a Top 50 or 60 list and ask 2 posters review per game, that's 100-120 Codexers that I have to ask for homework, wait for them to deliver and punish the wicked.

I'll still having trouble with the the Top DS RPGs list, where I asked the same thing and only 8 out of 20 people wrote anything... after a month. Lots of newfags and lurkers that only came to vote and will be hard to get a hold on... although a lot of regulars and even staff members are also procrastinating... :M

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe the promise of theiropinion being featured in an actual Codex newspost (sorry, nobody cares abut DS ;) ) will make for a better incentive to write a 4-5 sentence review (I don't think they could/should be longer). I know it would for me, and I'm pretty extremely lazy.

Also, you will have a bigger reviewer pool, so a bigger chance that someone actually responds. ;)

The final list would be in its own thread anyway (which would be linked to in the newspost), so You could edit the original post later and paste in reviews as they arrive.

that's 100-120 Codexers that I have to ask for homework, wait for them to deliver and punish the wicked
Yeah, sounds like a lot of work. Good thing we have you to do that. :M

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
sorry, nobody cares abut DS ;)
:negative:

Yeah, I know. People here will kill over who gets to write about Jagged Alliance 2, but no one wants to talk about Etrian Odyssey III... :(

Yeah, sounds like a lot of work. Good thing we have you to do that. :M
Oh god, the logistics of making sure that each of the 60 games are reviewed by 2 people that rated it highly, without any overlap or gap...

:negative:

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Dont lose sight of your goal now.

Your goal, from the beginning, seem to experiment with a new voting system to see if you can change the 2013 list and kick out some. That is an worthy experiment.

If you change to best rpg of all time this is insufficient time to vote, as it's near deadline 31/1.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If Dark Souls is allowed, then shouldn't some of the Final Fantasy games? I know FF7 and FF8 had a PC release. Not sure if that will affect any votes, but I know at least FF7 was quite popular.

felipepepe , I've finished a huge amount of PC RPGs and I wouldn't mind writing a couple of paragraphs on each of those that make the top 60.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Some people voted for FF 8, and it is allowed, but this is is the Codex; it never had any chance of entering the Top list. Dark Souls is special, to the point that a lot of Codexers enjoy it as a PC title, so it belongs.

Dont lose sight of your goal now.

Your goal, from the beginning, seem to experiment with a new voting system to see if you can change the 2013 list and kick out some. That is an worthy experiment.

If you change to best rpg of all time this is insufficient time to vote, as it's near deadline 31/1.
The goal was always to compile a list of great RPGs, the voting system was just means to an end, since I found the previous system lacking. We already have 207 votes, more than NeoGAF's list or any previous Codex list. And only 1/3 of the voting period has gone by, we still gave a lot of time.

Now that all is working fine, we must think of ways to enjoy the list. Making short reviews of each title will help people choose what to play from the list, or understand why people enjoy it; I think is something worthwhile.

felipepepe
If Dark Souls is allowed... I wanna change my vote to include Dark Souls. But the newfag editing priviledges no longer allow me to edit it. Reposting in that thread and quoting my old post will do?
Sure, just quote your original post and write what you changed.

felipepepe, I've finished a huge amount of PC RPGs and I wouldn't mind writing a couple of paragraphs on each of those that make the top 60.
I thank you for the help bro, but we need to think about this. I'm too much of a librul to enjoy just a few people writting about the Kodex Konsensus... That's why I prefer having at least 2 people per game, based on their votes.

But we can use people like you as "reserve", if procrastinators start to fuck things up. :)

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If Dark Souls is allowed, then shouldn't some of the Final Fantasy games? I know FF7 and FF8 had a PC release. Not sure if that will affect any votes, but I know at least FF7 was quite popular.

felipepepe , I've finished a huge amount of PC RPGs and I wouldn't mind writing a couple of paragraphs on each of those that make the top 60.

I'm going to flip a shit if felipepepe allows FF games but doesn't allow Dragon's Dogma just because PC release.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't get why you and Grunker think that a month is too short. It's been one week, and most of the regulars already voted, with 215 votes so far. How many more you guys want? This is a list of the RPG Codex, I think it makes sense that people who are around vote, not those that only appear once every 2 months.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hey DarkUnderlord , you were talking about using the database for PnP RPGs the other day, can we use it or do something like this in Xenforo?

BxJHpBF.jpg

(very rough concept, final list may not be so aweshum)

LivingOne

Savant
Now that all is working fine, we must think of ways to enjoy the list. Making short reviews of each title will help people choose what to play from the list, or understand why people enjoy it; I think is something worthwhile.
That's gonna be pretty long.Shouldn't be split across more articles?

Also,that pic reminds me of Worst rpgs vote,will there be an article for that too?I always enjoy reading Codex negative reviews.:D

himmy

Arcane
People could vote for SRR or Expeditions Conquistador :troll:

somebody already voted for SRR

i died a little

As I mentioned, the pretense for objective votes is at best an illusion and at worst God-hating megalomania. I voted for the games that I had fun with/remember fondly. I had more fun with SRR than with, say, DA:O.

Plus, SRR isn't even the most degenerate games by Codexian standards, as I also voted for The Secret World. :M

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Plus, SRR isn't even the most degenerate games by Codexian standards, as I also voted for The Secret World. :M

MMOs are indeed generally looked down upon on the Codex (for good reason, mostly!) - but I personally agree, for what it's worth. If any recent MMO deserves points, it's TSW - I actually sort of wish I could've spared a few.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So Feb 1 is when you will post the results?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom