Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs (Now with User Reviews!)

Ninjerk

Arcane
Did you see NeoGAF thread? Same thing IIRC. I seriously think we should slip in something like Halo and call it a great RPG to make these nerds fucking bonkers arguing over RPG definition. The cognitive dissonance would be glorious :incline:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
You'd probably end up with something anemic like "a role-playing game is a game in which you play a role".

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My favorite role playing game is Big Rigs: Over the road racing, where you play the role of a depressed QA tester.

Fatty

Augur
Does anyone know the name of the disorder that compels me to play all these in the order they are listed?

Anyway the list is fabulous. Thanks for all the hard work.

bminorkey

ultima 7 needs to be much higher

fallout 2 is better than 1, even if 1 is an "important" game (actually in terms of quality 1 should be way lower in this list)

witcher 2 should be higher

other things are debatable, yeah

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
should be much higher
wow why is on the list lol
is not an rpg
wow you voted for

You know what I figured out? Forums are like TwitchTV chat.
All forums.

Ninjerk

Arcane
should be much higher
wow why is on the list lol
is not an rpg
wow you voted for

You know what I figured out? Forums are like TwitchTV chat.
All forums.
Not even close. Forums are mostly vanity and delusion whereas as Twitch is pure madness.

A user named cat

fallout 2 is better than 1, even if 1 is an "important" game (actually in terms of quality 1 should be way lower in this list)
:nocountryforshitposters:

witcher 2 should be higher
Neither shitty Witcher should have even been voted to make the list but we're plagued with an overabundance of potato farmers around here. Poles gonna Pole the polls.

Black

Arcane
Wow, so now even 4chan's boards like /v/ and /vr/ are aware of THE LIST, not mentioning biowears, and defending their shitty taste thanks to it, huh?
Thanks a lot, fuckfaces. Now there'll be even more shitheads claiming that bg2 is better than Arcanums and such.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You care too much bro, relax. ;)

I mean, FFS, look at the level of people you're debating with:

Many of the pre Fallout/BG ones are borderline unplayable and don't belong in any top list made in 2014 except as a historical footnote.

Btw, people should bear in mind that according to my last count (back in the day when I had a higher tolerance for tedious tasks) there were around 170 or so cRPG's (minus MMO) released altogether, so getting into the top 70 ain't exactly as prestigious as it sounds. The number is a guesstimate now, since I stopped maintaining the list ages ago, but it shouldn't be too far off.

:2/5:, would only rage on a bad day.

Last edited:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
why does the Codex keep releasing these fucking lists that always have the same games on them? yes. we know. Baldur's Gate was great. Torment is a powerful character experience in a beautifully-realized world. Fallout brought its setting to life with its brilliant score and memorable dialogue. these things are very true. but there is not a single person on this site who doesn't know it. I'd be much more interested in reading lists that were "Top 10 RPGs we've never mentioned in a list before."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom