Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex - Top 50 WORST RPGs YOU'VE PLAYED vote thread

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Edgy wannabe, DS-apologist, newfag, consoletard detected.

You could ofcourse be a fucking retard about it and complain that the game sucks if you play it in a way youre not supposed to, but well...

Well apparently the people in the industry seem to disagree with you, considering the majority of PC player does, in fact, NOT own a controller, fact that didn't stop those guys from porting, and poorly so, Dark Souls to PC. The game is still abysmal whatever the control method, or even whatever the platform really: I have no issues using controllers (right or wrong one, since you seem to self-appoint yourself as the "right controlled designator"... I completed Tie Fighter with a mouse, LHX and TFX with keyboard only, and DooM with keyboard only, so I really don't much care for control methods, I can get used and be proficient at anything, like any "normal" human being), nor do I actually resent consoles or blame them for whatever. My loathing for DS has really nothing to do with the control method, despite what you seem to be assuming. +M

Doktor Best

Arcane
Edgy wannabe, DS-apologist, newfag, consoletard detected.

Well, infact i do own a PS3. Its a nice blu ray player, and it had Demons Souls. Thank god i am not one of those dickless people who have to gain their confidence by somehow deluding themselves the use of a certain input method makes them intellectually superior. There are just some games that are better played with a controller. You could ofcourse be a fucking retard about it and complain that the game sucks if you play it in a way youre not supposed to, but well...

putting everything together...
In a sarcastic way you are defending dark souls PC experience with your console experience with demon souls?

And to be sure, you may read my post again to find that Im not complaining about controller(which is what you are implying) but platform. It may be suprising for you, but you can use pad on PC

No, i was defending my pc experience with Dark Souls. I bought the game for pc because it was not PS3 exclusive and i wanted to play the best version available.
To be honest i was assuming you were referring to the admittedly terrible mouse/kb controls when you were saying that the game was unplayable on pc. Its the main complaint about the pc version, and the only reason i could find for anyone to make that statement. Why was it unplayable for you then? The game runs stable, you can unlock 60 fps which makes the gameplay superfluid, and everything else is just as in the console version.

Jools:
Well, thats your opinion man. The game was very well recepted, even here on rpgcodex ground, so it definitely has some qualities. f you dont care for them, thats all fine and good, but it doesnt make the game objectively bad. And you dont resent consoles, but you use the word "consoletard" to insult me? Enlighten me about your mindset please.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
hey guys i like to kill the same enemies for hours and hours doing nothing buy grinding out levels thats really fun for me :)

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
People shit on Alpha Protocol all they want, but it ain't buggy. Maybe your pirated copy was, but after playing it through 2 times without a single glitch, well boys that ain't buggy.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
People shit on Alpha Protocol all they want, but it ain't buggy. Maybe your pirated copy was, but after playing it through 2 times without a single glitch, well boys that ain't buggy.
Or at least not more buggy than your average game: some people experience a shitton of bugs. But most don't.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Indeed. To its credit, I confess AP earns all my hatred from being shit alone. As a matter of fact, in my 1 and a half playthroughs, I didn't encounter a single bug, glitch or CTD. AP is shit in its own right, not because of some lazy ripper.

On a side note, why the hell do people still assume "pirated copies" are buggy when, in fact, in many cases they are less buggy than the legit releases?

DaveO

Erudite
I'll be adding in votes from Felipepe's thread "The Worst CRPG ever" for tallying. I did not wish to hijack his new attempt on this topic, but it looks my old thread has become a "vampire" unwilling to die.

:necro:

I'd appreciate suggestions on when to end tallying for this new recount which will cover 2014 to the preset count at least.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Indeed. To its credit, I confess AP earns all my hatred from being shit alone. As a matter of fact, in my 1 and a half playthroughs, I didn't encounter a single bug, glitch or CTD. AP is shit in its own right, not because of some lazy ripper.

On a side note, why the hell do people still assume "pirated copies" are buggy when, in fact, in many cases they are less buggy than the legit releases?

On your side note: Yes, it was a lazy argument on my part, I withdraw it. The internet is damaging to my brain.
In addition to that, Alpha Protocol doesn't even have DRM (v. 1.1) so my piracy accusation misses the mark anyway since it is unlikely anyone tinkered with the copy before distributing it (unless they're idiots)

Anyway, this guy may just have been under a bad star when he played the game. I have no idea why it was buggy for him.

Trashos

Arcane
Why Arcanum? Cause i didn't try it and have a plan to buy it this summer...

There are ways to try Arcanum before you buy it. Anyway, I am currently playing Arcanum, and it is a game that can be both in a person's best and worst lists. This is because it has brilliant parts and abysmal parts. So, while I like it myself, I can understand why it's mentioned here by a lot of people.

The best parts are the character development (mind blowing!) and quest design (multiple solutions, almost every build can try its thing, quest types that you don't find often in other rpgs etc). Also the world, if you can enjoy steampunk.

The worst parts are the bugs and the combat. The bugs have been ironed out by now with the unofficial patch, but the combat... let's just say it is hilariously badly designed. But while it is probably the worst combat system I have ever seen, I still find it less boring than PST combat or FNV combat with my gunslinger build.

I 'd recommend you give it a try.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
arcanum combat > infinity engine combat

arcanum combat > nwn 1/2 combat

arcanum combat > morrowind combat

AINEC

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It's hard to name really worst RPGs because most people don't finish every shitty game they play. Because of that they are unable to accurately tell which shitty game was actually the shittiest. How would I know which shitty Newgrounds flash RPG was the worst and if any of them was worse than all these shitty Russian RPGs I've tried.

pippin

Morrowind combat is alright. RNGs are just dicerolls, after all.
You just have to use your imagination :smug:
I don't know if there are "worst rpgs" for me. I mean, those who were crap by default have been modded. Oblivion is bad, but even in vanilla is quite hilarious. Then again I don't think Oblivion is a pure rpg. On the other hand, Fallout 3 is arguably worse imo, since it really felt like a chore most of the time, like I really had to tell myself to keep calm and carry on. Uninstall.exe was the solution.

So yeah, if you consider it an RPG, then it has to be FO3.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Second Fallout 3. Perhaps not the worst game I've played but certainly the worst game I've played that the general public considers good for some reason.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Magna Carta: Tears of Blood - Linear even for a JRPG, no exploration, no backtracking to towns, no ability to level up if you can't beat a boss; horrid, awful combat system, oh god that theme song
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader - Read the Codex review; it's a garbage game. Still pissed I was tricked by "SPECIAL System" as a selling point.
Beyond Divinity - Repetitive Diablo clone; crappy skills and combat system, "make your own abilities" mechanics that just sucked; incoherent world and story
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth - Terrible grinding, ear-gouging music, stupid juggle mechanics require entire team to painstakingly defeat one enemy at a time after positioning everyone all over the map.
Grandia 1 & 2 - overrated games with insufferable characters, retarded story, broken battle system that promises tactics but just requires spamming your strongest spells

*EDIT*
One I forgot - Septerra Core - crpg trying to be Japanese. Fails miserably. Had an interesting story but the combat ruins it. Super-slow animations you have to sit through for every single battle.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Only shit tier RPG I've ever played is Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms (what is an RPG?). It's right up there with Descent to Undermountain from what I've read.

Bad RPG's:

Oblivion
Lionheart
NWN OC
DA:O
Geneforge :troll:

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Why does everybody put on their list bethesda's games? Why? Stop this please. Or bioware games (except dao). Damn. These games are NOT rpgs. Stop spreading rumors about their rpg status, they're just action games.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Sorry, I wasn't referring to baldur's gate, of course. I'm talking about the shitty bethesda games and modern bioware 'rpgs'.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Well, actually RPG, in this case, stands for Really Poor Game (Design), but don't tell anyone, it's a secret.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom