Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Divinity: Original Sin 2

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Kyl Von Kull Arcane

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    I shoot for the stars but sometimes hit London
    Click here and disable ads!
    The guys at RPG Watch don’t exactly have discerning taste. I would almost always rather read a negative review than a positive one. If you know why someone else thinks a game is terrible, it’s easy to see if any of that turns you off; if not, then the game is worth playing.

The RPG Watch review of D:OS2 is an uncritical blowjob fest. I found combat to be substantially worse than the original, at least in the few hours I’ve played. It doesn’t sound like it gets much better over the course of the game. I agree that the companion characters are an improvement and you have more role playing options, but the gameplay is not so hot.

As for the writing, Larian has yet to make a game that was really well-written. The silly, unserious tone of D:OS made its bad writing more tolerable—yeah it’s shit, but at least they seem to know it. D:OS2 is just poorly written. It has a lot of reactivity, but that’s not the same as meaningful C&C.

In world where nearly every mainstream review called this thing one of the best RPGs ever, we needed someone who hates it to point out the very real flaws. This is not a game for combat fags or system fags or story fags. I’m don’t know what kind of fags that leaves us with, but there sure are a lot of them.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Grauken Mapmaking AI Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    Casual fags (who think they are not)

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Tigranes - C&C rarely meaningful? - we played a different game then. Often I had to make decisions that changed the story of my party characters.

• Shit x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    :hmmm:

^ Top  
  5. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Cant possibly be paid, larian completely ignore this cesspool now. We used to have some dev come here and talk rarely , not anymore.I dont even own any part of that business , although i gladly would.

^ Top  
  6. Chad J. Thundercock Cipher Patron Possibly Retarded

Chad J. Thundercock
    Parrots:
    Nothing wrong with being a faggot or cuck all the time, but your are missing out on a much better life.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Parrots:
    Possibly Retarted (yes, with a t)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Kyl Von Kull Arcane

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    You realize developers are on this forum all the time, right? Just the other day MCA stopped by to set the record straight on NWN2. Anthony Davis from Obsidian is a regular and somehow he still has his job! Didn’t the Codex even do a huge interview with Swen not that long ago?

Hell, I sent Tim Cain’s little used account a message a few weeks ago and he responded within a day, saying he would not take my bribe money for news about his secret game.

The smaller first-time developers are probably way too active here, but plenty of them are legit. Smejki from Warhorse is always popping in and out of the Kingdom Come thread. And don’t even get me started on the Eastern Europeans.

Edit: the Czech Republic is in Central Europe.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    I would like to point out that the paragraph you quote is an *opinion* and not a review. It tells you what the author *liked* not *why*.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Nice strawman, buddy. There are plenty of newer RPGs that are actually good. D:OS2 just isn't one of them. Come back to us once you have an actual argument. If all you got is "lots of people say it's good, therefore..." then stay on the Watch.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    They may eventually watch to get some feedback, eventually answer, but not discuss . We get few rare posts and they probably wear an hazmat suit while typing. I bet warhorse wont stay long here either if you publish a review of kingdom come of the same caliber.

^ Top  
  12. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Parrots:
    I played Divinity: Original Sin 2 for 195 hours and had a lot of fun with it. Larian implemented a lot of minor and major c&c for the story characters. The party members were memorable and unique. The fighting was tactical and challenging at times. You could create a non-balanced party and win against all odds (I played without any tank). The dialog was sometimes stat-based. The world interactivity was great. Crafting was not bad either. All in all a lot of features to like. My only major critique is, that gear is leveled and becomes useless too fast.

• hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    If a developer is genuinely interested in our feedback, he will use our posts to extract useful information, whether we are talking trash or not.

If a developer is not genuinely interested in our feedback, he will ignore our posts even if we are over-apologetic, diplomatic and polite.

The most meaningful feedback is always systematic in nature and involves dumping entire combat systems, or rewriting a narrative plot.

Developers don’t know how, or don’t have the time it takes, or don’t want to implement these costly changes. They won’t start from scratch because some dude said something on the internet, no matter how good his arguments are.

That’s why they will always ignore nine-tenths of what players say in the rare opportunities they are willing to read their posts. The fact that some of them can be more accessible than average, including posting nice tweets about your favorite forum, does not break this basic rule.

The purpose of this forum is to have a good time talking and exchanging information about a bunch of stuff, especially cRPGs.

The purpose of this forum is not to bed developers motivated by the misguided notion that you will be more prestigious sucking up to obscure celebrities.

Developers are not your buddies. They sell a product and provide a service. You pay for this product with your money and keep them in business. That is all that needs to be said about this. The rest is conflict of interest and fanboysm.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Parrots:
    Yes except for obsidian .

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Uh... why me? I haven't even finished D:OS1, and my PC can't run D:OS2. :|

Tigranes is much more qualified for this, and I agree with him that the Watch review comes out as fanboy-ish and full of empty adjetives. In fact, that's something that always bother me on the Watch reviews & curator: too many games are praised the exact same way.

For example:
    • If you're searching for a unique RPG with lots of dialog, non-standard races, memorable NPCs, interesting party interaction and a cool story - here's your game!
    • Good short story with many choices & consequences and skill checks, good character progression and spellcrafting.
    • A modern CRPG with an interesting storyline and memorable characters!
    • Classic isometric RPG with an original story, many dialogs, c&c, great nonlinear exploration & many options to build characters.
    • Good Action RPG with RTwP-combat. Nice crafting system, solid character/party management, lots of exploring for loot, rich story and many quests - Fun
    Here's five reviews from the Watch's curator page: Ember, Pillars of Eternity, Planescape: Torment, Tides of Numanuma and Tyranny. Which one is which? They all sound the same, you don't get a sense of the MASSIVE gap between the dialog in PST and the dialog in Ember.

• Agree x 9
    • Brofist x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Yes, and it won't be deliberate or disingenious on their part. Many people often don't have a clear idea of what exactly they want, and when they see a system presented to them that seems to work reasonably well, they are willing to judge it favourably.

^ Top  
  17. hilfazer Learned

hilfazer
    Parrots:
    A game? Cool! I'll play.

PST, Tranny, shiTToN, Pillows, Ember?
    I don't know what Ember is but other games don't fit "Action RPG" and PoE does not fit "Fun".

^ Top  
  18. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Parrots:
    felipepepe fanboyish? Maylander got a lot of flak, because he rated Divinity: Original Sin 2 only Very Good instead of Excellent. We changed the RPGWatch rating system to a 6-point rating system because of this (!)

The RPGWatch Steam Curator's short descriptions are sometimes similar, because I'm always checking for the same features that are important for me - works for some people. You can't characterize games against each other in 144 letters.

For me it is still hard to understand, why the Codex funded a game, rated it GotY 2017 and then publishes a review that pulled it to pieces.

Like you, I'm working hard to make the CRPG genre more popular - reviews like this are counter-productive.

• retadred x 8
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • Shit x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Bohr Arbiter

Bohr
    Parrots:
    So there's already the Watch review out there which you agree with, but you're upset that someone else has a different opinion?

^ Top  
  20. Black Arcane

Black
    Parrots:
    Thank but bethesda's got that covered. "Boo hoo, your review is bad because it doesn't attract normies".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Kyl Von Kull Arcane

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    First of all, the GotY poll was open to the public. Second, lurkers may have very different views than frequent posters. But yes, it's quite ironic that the Codex's game of the year is so widely loathed on the Codex; I'd argue that poll is more out of place than a critical review. I mean, really, it's all about fucking multiplayer--does that sound like it's going to be an RPG Codex darling?

But more importantly: bad reviews are counterproductive for RPG evangelism? What the fuck??? Seriously dude. I really don't think this place has ever existed to make CRPGs more popular. If there's even a purpose beyond pure discussion, I'm guessing it would be to encourage developers to make CRPGs better, which is a very different goal (in fact, one could argue that there's some very strong tension between making a quality game and making a game with mass appeal).

As for not publishing a negative review because it might hurt the genre, that's the kind of loyalty you'd typically give to a free speech hating despot. Comrade Stalin would be most pleased, but I don't think Larian has really earned our slavish devotion. And frankly, they don't need it. I haven't come across a single other negative review of this game. It's already sold more than a million copies.

And, here's the key: many of us don't want more CRPGs like D:OS2! This was a game designed to be played with your friends in bite sized chunks. Forgive us if that's not the direction we want the genre moving in.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Parrots:
    I disagree Divinity: Original Sin 2 is fun to play as a single player game. A step in the right direction and I want many more games like this (without leveled gear).

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is not a mainstream casual game, and even re-introduced some Pen&Paper elements to a CRPG game.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This just means your regular users are even bigger fanboys than your reviewer.
    So we get more Todd Howard abominations you dolt?

^ Top  
  24. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Parrots:
    No, to get more good CRPGs for more gamers.

Reaching more gamers with good CRPGs is not equivalent to dumb down games and make them more casual.

I think especially Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a good counter-example to Skyrim.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Dude, the difference between a review and an opinion is that the former tells you why something is good. A statement of the form "the dialogue is well-crafted" is an opinion, while the explanation "the dialogue is well crafted because it acknowledges the choices the characters made, their origins, their context." that is a review. And even then, you'd have to give specific examples of the case.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)