Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Xenich

Cipher
Are there any plans for them to patch up, adjust or change things with the game like with D:OS or does Obsidian think their poo never smells?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The very next patch was announced to be the first balance patch, although it's still many weeks out.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Which is the worst Obsidian game, according to you then? Curious really, haven't played all of them.

Neither have I. But for me, Pillars of Eternity is the best game they have released so far. Or if you count Mask of the Betrayer as a separate game, then the second best. I tried FNV, but didn't like it much - maybe I'll try it again at some point.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Lol, figures this forum would totally worship D:OS and call this game "lifeless, uninspired husk". Why am I surprised?

This place doesn't worship D:OS, many people complain about it being bland, poorly written and after Chyseal poorly designed and outright boring. Sure it won "game of the year" but at the same time most people here gave PoE 9 in the rating thread. If PoE was released last year instead of this one it would probably win "game of the year" award without a problem.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Which is the worst Obsidian game, according to you then? Curious really, haven't played all of them.

Neither have I. But for me, Pillars of Eternity is the best game they have released so far. Or if you count Mask of the Betrayer as a separate game, then the second best. I tried FNV, but didn't like it much - maybe I'll try it again at some point.

I've played and finished them all. The Sith Lords was probably the worst due to the horrible combat and general tedium of gameplay.

Xenich

Cipher
The very next patch was announced to be the first balance patch, although it's still many weeks out.

I am not worried. I probably won't play the game for a few years. By then, the game should be ironed out to at least what they claim they wanted, with some extra content, etc... an I should have practical functioning 4k setup.

Gord

Arcane
The review is a bit like Roguey's trolling - half-truths and exaggerations abound, but accurate enough at times that it's hard to outright deny the veracity of some claims.

:happytrollboy:

Nael

Arcane
I tried FNV, but didn't like it much - maybe I'll try it again at some point.

As with anything that Bethesda is involved with FNV is much better after heavy modification. Also, I would recommend not playing it with a focus on the main quest in mind. LARP it as a loner/explorer/wanderer for best effect.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roxor actually has a lot of points here.
The character system is meh, the combat is ridiculously formulaic, encounter design is bad in most cases, most spells are completely useless, loot is extremely generic, and besides fighters it seems there are no weapon specializations.

I cannot agree with the writing at all, though. I love it.

I also cannot agree with the notion that exploration is not rewarded at all.
You do get loot, and you do get money, and for some fights you do gain XP - actually, I am failing to figure out when killing is giving XP and when it is not.
It feels inconsistent to me. You also gain lore, sometimes banter and in most cases some really beautiful graphics to look at. The rewards could have been much better, if the game had a better loot system.
But if all you play for is more XP and becoming ever stronger, then I strongly suggest to play idle games. I still like to explore in the game despite not gaining an immediate ruleset advantage.

I do agree that Roxor is trying much too hard here. The game has issues, but almost none of them I found as bad as he did.

Nael

Arcane
I tried FNV, but didn't like it much - maybe I'll try it again at some point.

As with anything that Bethesda is involved with FNV is much better after heavy modification.

Many things that Bethedsa are involved with only become good after heavy medication

672.png

roshan

Arcane
Dragonfall was a fantastic game, comparing it to the shitfest that is POE is just absurd. Yes, it's way smaller in scope, but what it did it did really well. The combat was mostly great and practically devoid of filler, POE's combat is a complete abomination and clusterfuck and almost all of it is pure trash mobs. Dragonfall had incredible lore, ambiance and setting and a mostly decent plot too. POE has a really stupid and banal plot and setting. POE seems to have a lot of fake CNC, the kind where you pick between two equally irrelevant outcomes to a quest, whereas Dragonfall actually punished you several times and made you think about what you were doing. It allowed you to make several crucial decisions that affected the end game and how it played out, and did a much better job of making the choices you were making seem very human and relevant. I mean, I found myself agonizing about whether to release the blood experiments data even though I knew that all it would do was put cash into my account. Even the dialogue and characters were so memorable. It was fun and immersive, and very well executed. And that music - fantastic stuff. Not to mention that Dragonfall was mostly bug free and pretty much everything in the game actually worked.

I honestly really cannot think of a single aspect in which POE has actually managed to be even slightly better than Dragonfall except the graphics and the overall interface (although parts of POE's interface such as the minimap are just completely broken as implemented).

I mean, when I played POE, I was really pleased to find a game with such extensive systems (many classes, tons of spells, skills, etc.), which I haven't seen in a 2D isometric game since the IE games and other old projects such as Arcanum and TOEE. It really made Dragonfall, Lords of Xulima, Banner Saga and Halfway seem like such barebones experiences... That was at first, until I played on and found out it was mostly crap. Yes you can roam around the first town but aside from 3 or 4 quest related characters and maybe a few others critical to the plot, or utility characters like shops, everyone's basically just a backer NPC. On the other hand, take a fucking look at Dragonfall, where every shopkeeper was an actual personality, and where even the most minor of characters encountered during missions was memorable to some extent, and yes, Dragonfall actually had characters in the Kreuzbasar that were just there to flesh out the world and setting. Yes POE has open wilderness areas, but they are crammed to the brim with unrewarding trash combat. And yes there are a few sidequests here and there, but they are basically just fedex missions. And of course traps too, but these are just things you need to grind so that you can level up. Yes there's extensive systems, abilities, classes, items and spells, but most of them are totally useless, boring and indistinct.

It's really like comparing a tiny diamond with a gigantic turd.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
felipepepe made me think about my PoE "experience", and Ramireza triggered ( :smug: )me with this...

I didn't play the IE games that extensively, roughly one playthrough per game, with the exception of IWD and PST, which I played a couple of times. I did play NWN and NWN2 some more, because I was older and getting more into RPGs, and yet I never really replayed the old goldies, yet NWN/NWN2 are not really IE games, and I feel they can't really be put in the same category. The IE game that I played more recently is PST (5 years ago maybe?). Admittedly, I wasn't too fond of those IE games, back then: at the time I was more into FPS (competitively, which took up a lot of time, passion and dedication) and space/flight simulators (which weren't dead yet, and also were huge time-sinkholes). I played them because they were "big" titles, and my friends recommended them to me, plus I was kinda keen on d&d/FR so that made sense.

My point being, I am playing PoE and I realize I'm not really getting any nostalgia-boners, not because of its inability to provide me one, but because I am not approaching the game with any kind of "bias". I'm not expecting it to be as good as some other game, nor to remind me of them. It does remind me of them, but as I mentioned, it's because it's in the same genre and style, and because my knowledge of the goldies is so shallow ( :self-shuntheinfidel: ) that there's not really much in my memories to build a proper comparison upon.

And still the game manages to be disappointing in its own right. I honestly don't remember how much fun I had with BG2 or IWD, or how hard was the combat, or how epic the quests. The only vague memories I have are from PST, and they're mostly writing-related: quest design, plot, actual quality of the writing. And even in the case of PST, my mind doesn't really go "PST-did-it-better" every time I read a paragraph in PoE, or every time a quest goes full-out-retard. I do notice the average-to-mediocre writing quality, and I do notice the retardation of some quests, but those are details I acknowledge in their own right, not just in comparison to some "ideal game" myth that has been branded into the back of my skull.

I don't think I'm the only one, and I don't think that the Codex is mostly shitting all over PoE just because it compares unfavourably to the old IE games. I think PoE is being shat upon because it does deserve it, IE-legacy or not. Of course, the fact that Obsidian played the "IE-games legacy" card a few times before release, for marketing purposes, surely doesn't help the cause, but again, PoE would still be a mediocre game, oustanding only in its un-gloriousness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom