Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Let me add that Grunker had announced that he would pull out of his review duties if Roxor's review got published first. I still believe that Infinitron's decision might have been at least partially founded in a desire to retain a valuable staff member.
SSrhfEA.gif

Kz3r0

Arcane
But to say that POE is the worst game of Obsidian, worse than SoZ, South Park and Dungeon Siege III?
You are biased, SoZ was an expansion made on the cheap, and quite good to be honest, South Park was aimed at the fans of the franchise and is the best South Park game, it even had decent turn based combat, on a side note I hate South Park and his creators.
Dungeon Siege III is the best Dungeon Siege, mediocre as much as it is the point was to make a Dungeon Siege game.
Obviously I prefer Pillows to a screen saver heir and a juvenile shtick but PoE was meant to be an IE game, practically the developers were competing against their past games, and they failed, claiming that PoE is good just because AAA+ games are shit is not very conductive to anything.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's like that time when that Ulminati guy in the staff forums told Infinitron his job was to copypaste Kotaku for brofists, not pushing his agenda on the moderators.

I get that noone else would copypaste into news with nearly as much enthusiasm as Infinitron, but giving him a say in moderation does more harm than good.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
South Park was good, sure it wasn't deep or anything but it was fun. Perhaps Obsidian should seriously consider making a jRPG because I'm sure that South Park combat would blow Eternity's out of the water if it received as much effort, care and polishing. I mean sure, it was a popamole but only because it was a TV series adaptation aimed at causals. The fundamentals were solid.

Weasel
For those of us not privy to these staff debates, I guess it's also a matter of perception - in this case the perception we have that staff members of a site like this would often be tempted by the slippery slope of Doritos and 'good relations' with devs/publishers. Because that's what happens at seemingly every other gaming site. And we'd like to think the Codex is a bit different, but it obviously depends on the individuals involved.

When I first visited the Codex years ago, there were hardly any newsposts. Infinitron does a great job following loads of sources and keeping us all informed :salute:. But when he was mounting one of his PoE defense actions in the megathread and was suddenly gifted a beta key, it was easy to assume that it was from badler or another Obsidian rep:

A little bird tells me that Infinitron got a beta key from someone (I am guessing agris). :P

*wipes the doritos and mountain dew off his mouth*

Perhaps it was just another Codexer who liked PoE and had a spare beta key, but it's easy to make Dorito assumptions when it involves a staff member. And then view his future actions in that (possibly unfair) light.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A little bird tells me that Infinitron got a beta key from someone (I am guessing agris). :P
*wipes the doritos and mountain dew off his mouth*
Perhaps it was just another Codexer who liked PoE and had a spare beta key, but it's easy to make Dorito assumptions when it involves a staff member. And then view his future actions in that (possibly unfair) light.
Well, yes, that is what I assumed. agris is 'just another Codexer'.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
ERYFKRAD - How about we just write you a script that fists all posts on a page you visit? You'll get carpal tunnel at this rate.

He didn't brofist the suggestions to make ed123 a mod or add tits to this thread, so he's still applying some degree of scrunity here.

almondblight

Arcane
No matter the cop-outs used now by Infinitron, it's 100% beyond the shade of doubt obvious that he's trying to enforce an agenda here (goodwill with the developers) and that Roxor's review couldn't be posted because it's negative. What if Roxor's review was positive (10/10 timeless classic), do you think any of this drama would have happened?

I think it'd probably get linked to in the Steam list, tweeted about, and not posted with a disclaimer about "diversity of opinions." Apparently, Infinitron isn't the only one worried about pissing off Obsidian.

Angthoron

Arcane
Somebody should review this thread
Content: TL;DR/10
Quality: 2/10
Writing: 4/10
Butthurt: 11/10
Entertainment: 5/10 initially fun but gets repetitive; new subplots introduce nothing new
Graphics: 0/10 minimal amount of pictures
Replayability: 7/10 would post again

Summary: Another overhyped thread with pathetic production values, zero planning and shitty balancing. Writing is rock-bottom level, characters are cliché, plot follows the best conventions of Shyamalan and CBS series to maximize plot twists and drama.

Kz3r0

Arcane
South Park was good, sure it wasn't deep or anything but it was fun. Perhaps Obsidian should seriously consider making a jRPG because I'm sure that South Park combat would blow Eternity's out of the water if it received as much effort, care and polishing. I mean sure, it was a popamole but only because it was a TV series adaptation aimed at causals. The fundamentals were solid.
Tim Cain pwns sawyer' sorry ass as expected.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Damn Angthoron I'm new around here so the thread is a fair amount of fun for me. I've literally read every post. Are you saying there are threads with this much butthurt but better quality graphics and writing ?

Ulrox

Arbiter
Apparently, Infinitron isn't the only one worried about pissing off Obsidian.

Too late. Obsidian has taken note of this review, there's a 18 page thread on their forums about it since it is very divisive stuff. If anything Darth r0x0r is very good at having that divisive quality. Many have already commented that :"this is what is wrong with the codex" and that it is :"the 4chan of rpg sites"

Which I guess was the point from the beginning.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Tim Cain pwns sawyer' sorry ass as expected.
Press X to fart.

Stompa

Arcane
Down with Infinitron! Say no to megathreads! Oppose hidden pro-developer agenda! Vote Cleve for moderator!
:mob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom