Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Preview RPG Codex Report: Expeditions: Conquistador, Logic Artists and Kickstarter

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
What is this fucking retardation on my Codex? The problem was publishers financing games and having a say in them when they should just be distributing and boxing them.

Are people expecting these developers to personally put their games into a box and drive their dad's Fiat Punto around to venues to deliver boxed copies for sale?
Who cares about boxes these days? Can you even buy a fucking PC game, especially an obscure indie one, in a store these days? Digital is where the action is and that's the main reason why publishers lost influence - the traditional distribution channels are simply not needed anymore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What is this fucking retardation on my Codex? The problem was publishers financing games and having a say in them when they should just be distributing and boxing them.

Are people expecting these developers to personally put their games into a box and drive their dad's Fiat Punto around to venues to deliver boxed copies for sale?
Who cares about boxes these days? Can you even buy a fucking PC game, especially an obscure indie one, in a store these days? Digital is where the action is and that's the main reason why publishers lost influence - the traditional distribution channels are simply not needed anymore.

You're right, it's probably the "getting on Steam faster" that is the main thing here. See Aterdux's post.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, when the PC shelving disappeared in places like Gamestop, the whole publishing game kind of fell apart. These days it seems like its used more as a general term for funding development, not distribution. I miss the days when there were big, huge racks of PC games in Gamestop, back in the 90's, and a tiny corner with a few lame consoles on display.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If we had cool boxes like before, with nice extras inside then people would still care. However, having games in stupid dvd-cases without even a room for a manual inside sucks. Besides, keeping original media is bothersome. I prefer to have isos and keys stored on a backed-up harddrive.

Zeriel

Arcane
soul-bg1.jpg

And to think, this used to be just average for a box.

Stelcio

Savant
They make the game I want I couldn't give less fucks about who puts the game in a shiny box and makes the deals with fucking Walmart or whatever to get them to carry the game.
Well I don't care about that either. But I do care about WHEN. As an independent project it should be shipped when done and ready. Now, Grunker, didn't they tell you in person that it would be done and ready on February 28th? Why the hell didn't I get the game then?

Oh, because appearantly new ways to cash in have occured. More promising than the kickstarter crowd, right? They've already paid their toll so fuck those losers.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
They make the game I want I couldn't give less fucks about who puts the game in a shiny box and makes the deals with fucking Walmart or whatever to get them to carry the game.
Well I don't care about that either. But I do care about WHEN. As an independent project it should be shipped when done and ready. Now, Grunker, didn't they tell you in person that it would be done and ready on February 28th? Why the hell didn't I get the game then?

A video game not meeting the release date? Oh man, someone call the media.

Them not informing me on that day was bloody retardation - we've talked enough about their ineptitude at communication. But is it in itself a problem the game's release date is pushed? Hell no. I thought it was a fucking miracle that it seemed to get out on time.

Is it shitty that the game industry can't hold release dates? Yeah, I guess, but it ain't hardly unique to this game. Only the terrible communication is.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Steam is the biggest distribution platform and could be decisive of a financial success of a game. Now, if any of you were at the head of a company, who just realized that by your own means you won't get into Steam - would you go and try to get there through another distributor or a publisher? Yes, it means a lower royalty percentage on your income from Steam, but lower royalty is better than none (and with good marketing the actual money earned could be more that if you did it yourself) and I definitely would have made the choice they did. Now you can yell at me too :) I was warned about it last year when registerting here, I guess the time has come :)
First and foremost, creating an impression that they don't care about the backers and breaking a promise made to said backers was a mistake. Reputation, goodwill, and such are very important factors for an indie developer and damaging them in exchange for some unclear benefits should never be done lightly.

As for Steam, well, if they really wanted to be on Steam, they should have put in some marketing effort. I did the impressions because many people were looking for some info on the game but couldn't find anything. Also, just because they couldn't get on Steam right away doesn't mean they couldn't get on Steam a few months later, using positive impressions and reviews either to get the votes or to approach Valve directly.

They didn't have to release the game to all, but they should have released the game to the backers.

Vault Dweller

Developer
If the game wasn't ready and simply needed more time, nobody would have said a word. The issue here is that the game was ready but held back, despite the commitment to the backers, because of a last-minute deal with a publisher.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If the game wasn't ready and simply needed more time, nobody would have said a word. The issue here is that the game was ready but held back, despite the commitment to the backers, because of a last-minute deal with a publisher.

And what's the big issue with that? If this ultimately means more success for the game and the developer and thus more chance of them surviving and making the games we want?

I'm sorry, I'm having a motherfucking hard time seeing any big transgression here besides horrible communication. This is a storm in a glass of water and I'm honestly surprised at you fannin' the flames.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ah, good, Grunker has finally embraced the spirit of potatos defending Twitcher to the last breath :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fact that they even called them a "publisher" is a huge PR gaffe.

You never, ever utter the word "publisher" on Kickstarter. You call it "our retail distribution network".

"We've had some unforeseen difficulties with our retail distribution network. In the meantime, here's a fully functional updated demo for all of our backers." That's good PR.

Mortmal

Arcane
The issue with it , is in many people mind kickstarter was a way to bypass the evil publishers, so understandably they are a bit butthurt over it . But dont worry when its published and if its good people will polish their shoes again can call them bro.

Captain Shrek

Come on guys, I think you are too much here into conspiracy theories. I asked Logic Artists at some point how well they were doing on Steam and they told me that it was not that good. They probably planned to release E: C themselves on smaller platforms like Desura and Gamersgate and if I knew they exact situation, I actually would recommend them talking to someone like bitComposer. The terms they describe in the update seem good and fair and while the communication could have been handled better, I think they did the right thing.

Steam is the biggest distribution platform and could be decisive of a financial success of a game. Now, if any of you were at the head of a company, who just realized that by your own means you won't get into Steam - would you go and try to get there through another distributor or a publisher? Yes, it means a lower royalty percentage on your income from Steam, but lower royalty is better than none (and with good marketing the actual money earned could be more that if you did it yourself) and I definitely would have made the choice they did. Now you can yell at me too :) I was warned about it last year when registerting here, I guess the time has come :)

Thanks to our Kickstarter supporters, to you guys, to many others our game (Legends of Eisenwald - thanks, Infinitron to remind include the name) is right now at place #11 at Greenlight so there is a good chance we will be greenlit soon. I am happy and proud about this but at the same time I am relieved that we don't have to face a choice like Logic Artists and our delay by now is longer than what they had. I am actually impressed they almost finished the game already, I wish I could say about our game the same thing.

About adding a multi-player. In a hypothetical situation someone would request me to do a multiplayer now, I'd say our game would be delayed by a year or longer. Why? Because the game engine and tools are not made for multi-player and none of the game design solution included something like this. So, if they are adding a multiplayer, they probably planned it quite some time ago and implemented at least support for it. In indie game development adding multi-player in a month? This is just undoable... I don't know their exact situation but my guess would be that they implemented multi-user support from the beginning with a thought that if they have some spare time, they would add it. It obviously depends on the multi-player scope but that's what I think.

Our next big update is in the works, we will talk about delay too, prepare your tough words, gentlemen! :)

I don't really see the equivalence. I think having Multiplayer or Not. being funded by publishers or not is immaterial here. The point is, that we were lied to. Not a big thing in and itself since it only (thankfully) means postponement. The point is that just that it is not defensible. I am not going to pester them any more and I hope none of us does. This does not however preclude anyone feeling deceived and expressing that.

Ah, good, Grunker has finally embraced the spirit of potatos defending Twitcher to the last breath :smug:
:thumbsup:

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
First and foremost, creating an impression that they don't care about the backers and breaking a promise made to said backers was a mistake. Reputation, goodwill, and such are very important factors for an indie developer and damaging them in exchange for some unclear benefits should never be done lightly.
This one I think everyone is in agreement. Sometimes it just gets too stressful, so I personally can easily forgive them for this little thing. They must be doing lots of stuff at the moment...

As for Steam, well, if they really wanted to be on Steam, they should have put in some marketing effort. I did the impressions because many people were looking for some info on the game but couldn't find anything. Also, just because they couldn't get on Steam right away doesn't mean they couldn't get on Steam a few months later, using positive impressions and reviews either to get the votes or to approach Valve directly.
They didn't have to release the game to all, but they should have released the game to the backers.
Well, I definitely would love to get some advise on marketing effort. We wrote press releases, contacted many sites, and response so far has been not so big. Partially, that is probably result of the state of our game (which is still raw in some aspects). But in general - it's not so easy to get press write about you. Now, with the Greenlight campaign, I feel like it's Kickstarter all over again. None of the big sites wants to write about us and it's actually them who create the biggest influence. Hopefully, it changes when our game is more solid, but still, that's not something that is very easy to do.

About releasing the game to backers when it's ready. Again, the question is how. Creating your own distribution through your web site could be tough. Most of the projects promise to distribute through some platform not because they are lazy, but because making an extra version means more testing, more everything. So, for example, in my opinion GOG is best for DRM-free distribution of copies of the game. But again, the release of the game is best when it's simultaneous on all plaftorms, it creates then more media attention. Is there a way for a indie studio to release your game ahead of release date at GOG to backers? I don't know, to be honest.

Monty

Arcane

We were paying these guys to 1) enable them to take risks/craft niche products and 2) to limit or do away with publisher influence on the actual game (especially with regards to DRM and shit). We're not fucking paying them to develop their own distribution networks.

Exactly, so they should have delivered the single-player game they promised to their kickstarter backers, when they promised it without the unexplained last minute delay due to the publishing deal. After that they were free to do whatever deal they wanted with publishers, including taking on board the 'publisher influence' and adding multiplayer or whatever else the publisher required before agreeing a deal. Instead we got this:

The Article said:
Finally, I ask Wæver and Eskildsen whether they are ready for the release the 28th. Wæver lets out a big sigh. “Yeah, I mean we're going gold on monday. But man, we're stressed right now. We will make it

Unfortunately some distribution complications have come up. We're honestly not sure how much we're supposed to talk about this, and I don't want to cast anybody as the villain here - nobody has done anything wrong, it's just that kind of situation where things turned out to be a little more complicated than we'd hoped, and we need a little extra time to get our ducks in a row.

This could have been timed better, I'll give you that.
I think we've hit the sweet spot with the multiplayer, in terms of how much time we've spent on it versus how well executed it is (meaning, it's just a simple skirmish mode, so it's pretty well executed even though we only had one guy working on it for a month and a half).

The delay is due to distribution shenanigans, but we will of course make use of it to fix bugs and apply polish. Because of said shenanigans, I can't give you a new release date yet, because it's out of our hands - we're waiting on word from above (or below, depending on how you look at it). We're aiming for mid-March, but please don't hold me to that, you never know what calamity will hit us next ;)

While Kickstarter was a major part of this game becoming successful, and while we're super greatful to all those who backed us, it was still only a part of it. You can't make a game of this size and complexity with only $77,000.
We have done everything we promised in the Kickstarter, and then some.
To quote our last update, the singleplayer campaign is 98% of the game experience and is what 98% of the work has gone into.

I'll even admit that the multiplayer has in fact detracted a little bit from the singleplayer, in that Casper has had less time to polish the campaign because he had to work on the multiplayer, but now that we have a little extra time on the clock, we'll be able to catch up on that.

On this day of our lord March 8 2013, Casper and Juan implemented timed turns in multiplayer, and Jonas fucking finally managed to win a battle because Daniel is a slow-poke who doesn't think well under pressure.

Q: Why did you say in the RpgCodex interview that the game was finished, yet in your forums you claimed (after the delay) that the game wasn't ready to be released?
A: It was buggier than we thought. Once we sent out the beta, this became apparent. The delay, though it happened for other reasons, has given us time to remedy that.
I understand that they need to get a distribution deal besides just sending the game out to backers. I understand that delays happen in game development and bugs need to be fixed. But the above examples of the communication we've received seem like a pretty shitty way to treat people who've backed your project. If they'd updated us a few weeks before it was due, to explain they needed a bit more time for bug fixes I'm sure noone would have complained (much). But if your aim is to 'polish' and 'fix bugs' you don't then keep implementing new multiplayer features. If you've raised funds on the premise of a single-player game then getting that right should be your priority.

Hope the game turns out well but good luck if they ever try another kickstarter with this track record.

Vault Dweller

Developer

And what's the big issue with that?
Do I really have to explain this one? I understand that you met them and like them and ate their doritos, but surely you see that what they did wasn't the best move?

If this ultimately means more success for the game and the developer and thus more chance of them surviving and making the games we want?
I thought that their KS was fairly successful, no? Almost 80k for virtually unknown developers. I thought that was the very idea - crowd-fund our game and we'll make it for you (not some publisher).

I'm sorry, I'm having a motherfucking hard time seeing any big transgression here besides horrible communication. This is a storm in a glass of water and I'm honestly surprised at you fannin' the flames.
So, the KS promises mean nothing to you?

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
The issue here is that the game was ready but held back, despite the commitment to the backers, because of a last-minute deal with a publisher.
This. Compounded with his utter inability to communicate and say things in a straight manner. I know that games get delayed. Shit happens. But when the delay is because back alley deals and when the supposedly indie and community-aware developer just take a dump on its backers... Well

Vault Dweller

Developer

We were paying these guys to 1) enable them to take risks/craft niche products and 2) to limit or do away with publisher influence on the actual game (especially with regards to DRM and shit). We're not fucking paying them to develop their own distribution networks.

Exactly, so they should have delivered the single-player game they promised to their kickstarter backers, when they promised it without the unexplained last minute delay due to the publishing deal. After that they were free to do whatever deal they wanted with publishers, including taking on board the 'publisher influence' and adding multiplayer or whatever else the publisher required before agreeing a deal.
This.

The issue here is that the game was ready but held back, despite the commitment to the backers, because of a last-minute deal with a publisher.
This. Compounded with his utter inability to communicate and say things in a straight manner. I know that games get delayed. Shit happens. But when the delay is because back alley deals and when the supposedly indie and community-aware developer just take a dump on its backers... Well

The backers take a dump on them, amirite? :troll:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Regarding Steam Greenlight: Apparently they were getting 50/50 in terms of upvotes and downvotes, so they really weren't going anywhere.

Honestly, I'm kinda glad it got delayed because if it had been released everyone would be complaining about bugs instead.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, the KS promises mean nothing to you?

Hyperbole of the worst kind. A counter-question just a stupid would be: "So delaying a game a bit constitutes complete betrayal to you?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom