Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Divinity: Original Sin 2, or, A Visit to Larian Studios

Weasel
Wow, comprehensive. Excellent job again Bubbles :salute:

Sounds even more ambitious than I expected. The sheer number of factors which can impact the narrative/choices comes across as a recipe for millions of man-hours of writing and testing. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

Small typo on this question I think:

Gameplay: Was there a fame or infamy system in the prototype? Or example, ...

Guessing it should be "For example"

Zeriel

Arcane
Bubbles, when in 2016 should we expect part 2 of the Gamescom coverage?

The Bishop

Cipher
If D:OS 2 writing sucks donkey balls it's comforting to know that at least it was made by nice people.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If D:OS 2 writing sucks donkey balls it's comforting to know that at least it was made by nice people.

Yeah, the writers are all giving their absolute best to make the game as good as possible. They told me that at least 30 times between midnight and 4:30 AM, and thus I'm inclined to believe them.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
After thinking on it, I think that Sarah girl is referring to the descriptive text used in Pillars of Eternity, because that is somehow related to doing a "descriptive text only" approach. Probably hasn't played Planescape: Torment before.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Devils_advocate_TVT8140.jpg

Too lazy to mspaint you into the picture though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
an elderly couple whom I assumed to be representatives of the local newspaper.

:lol: Neeeeeeeeeegged.

Lotta polarizing stuff in D:OS 2. While I like the idea of fixed action points, making every action cost 1 or 2 seems kinda iffy. I don't like that guy's undercut hipster mullet. Or the change in the color palette.

Laughed out loud at the :inclusive: section.

"He did this four hour video, and it's totally unwatchable. I'll send you a link!"

Is there any way you can provide more context on this? idgi

In this interview I learned that the writer chick has only played the first hour or so of Pillars of Eternity, Swen has only read Roguey's posts in the D:OS related threads, and that I shouldn't back D:OS 2 (but I wasn't going to anyway).

:butthurt:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Is there any way you can provide more context on this? idgi

He was talking about one of DU's youtube videos. There are various opinions about which one he may have meant (none of them are close to four hours long), but my theory is that he meant the raffle vid. It would be topical and it certainly feels like it's four hours long.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I was already suspicious when they put the guys from the four biggest magazines in the same group (by the way, the Gamestar/PC Games writeups are much more detailed than the RPS and Eurogamer ones), and then I read this in the PC Games:

Zu Beginn unseres Besuchs nimmt sich Swen Vincke fast zwei Stunden Zeit das Spiel in einer Präsentation vorzuführen

and then

Wir stehen am Ende der fast zwei Stunden Spielzeit

Their presentation and their hands-on were both almost twice as long as ours! On the other hand, none of the four have put up any sort of interview footage, so they were either too lazy to ask questions or Swen gave us some exclusive content after all. Gonna assume the latter, because I'm a developer friendly journalist.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Four player coop? I can expect the story to be complete trash.

Au contraire. As Swen presents it, the personal stories of all four player characters will somehow, in some new way, enrich the central narrative. It's intended to be the grandest, most ambitious story that Larian ever told.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
They've posted a press round-up in their first KS update:

Prior to launching our Kickstarter campaign, we've been showing Divinity:Original Sin 2 to the media, and a lot of impressions popped up today.

"I can't help but think that another Kickstarter success could help make Divinity: Original Sin 2 one of the most engaging RPGs to date." - PC Gamer

This sequel has some wild new ideas and ambitions far beyond the scope of the already-impressive first game” - Polygon

"It’s exactly what I wanted from a sequel" - Rock Paper Shotgun

"If successful Original Sin II is poised to shake up not just isometric RPGs but the whole RPG genre" - PC World

"Divinity: Original Sin 2's narrative is fuelled by dizzying, twisted multiplayer" - Eurogamer

We've also invited the RPGWatch & the RPGCodex to our offices, and they did extensive write-ups.

Finally, if you speak German, French, Russian or Polish, you may want to check out these hands-ons: PC Games, GameStar, JeuxVideo.com, Igromania.ru, Gry-Online.pl

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1335439

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
D:OS was very solid. The combat was amazing. Overall the rest was sort of lacking. I'm sure 2 will polish up those aspects that lagged behind.

Septaryeth

Augur
http://larian.uservoice.com/forums/...sin-2-game-ideas/suggestions/9290154-romances
http://larian.uservoice.com/forums/...suggestions/9290496-romances-with-npcs-or-pcs

Anonymous commented · August 16, 2015 22:52
Last but not least think back at some of the games that you personally held this in high esteem. Would those games be the legends that they are without this oh-so-human mechanic? Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Witcher, even Half-Life has Alex and Dog.

:negative:

Luckily this anonymous is the only one saying this.

Most Codexers haven't "experienced" Dragon Commanders romances I think, don't worry guys!

maxresdefault.jpg

I am intrigued by the positivity regarding romances in Dragon Commander.
I haven't play the game, is it gud even if you suck at RTS?

DramaticPopcorn

It is incredibly shallow in all aspects save for the writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom