Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Preview: Might & Magic X: Legacy, Now with Act II

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Thanks for this video. Didn't check for updates for a while so my observations might be outdated. I'm impressed, especially with their optimizations regarding movement and speed of combat. This is awesomely fast, and yet all animations are looking nice. Did they change something in the combat system? Originally it seemed every single enemy did its turn in sequence, but now it looks like all enemies do their turn concurrently, or "nearly-concurrently" similar to the old MM parts. Is this observation correct?

Really it looks much faster and enjoyable. Great! This is the type of combat Wiz8 had needed (not even the Wiz8 Speedhack comes close to this). Also with the smooth movement they are much closer to 360° turn based combat. I take my hat off, Limbic has all the potential to create a new MMX or Wizardry.

Zeriel

Arcane
Sceptic: Eh, what? All I've said is that I don't see a meaningful way to call one qualitatively better than the other. Personally, I prefer turn-based.
I thought it was you I had argued with about the TB in 1-5 vs the RT in 6-8, but maybe it wasn't, and I don't feel like going through 102 pages of that other thread to find out (Infinitron this is why megathreads suck)

(in before it turns out it wasn't Infinitron that argued for megathreads....)

Sadly, in this day and age random fans remaking a series are much more likely than people like JVC to get it right. Remember, he was recently working on a F2P multiplayer Command & Conquer.
Hey, no dumping on JVC! even if HHR's comment was dumb. Of all the old-timers he's the only one who seems to have kept his sanity, as can be seen from the Codex interview he gave us a year or so ago. I'd actually love to find out what he would do if given a traditional blobber to work on.

He hasn't lost his mind, but does he want to work on games like he used to? I don't get that feeling, he seems like someone who decided he just wants to go the executive route now and retire with a nice cushion. Which you can't blame someone for, but neither is it exactly something the Codex gets excited about.

By the way...

I'm of one mind actually: do away with them already. The NWC world is dead. Even if Ubisoft magically deicded to bring it back now, they're 10 years too late. We've moved on. The NWC setting was certainly much more interesting to uncover overall thanks to not being high fantasy and having pieces of the cosmology slowly unfold over the entire series, rather than reading everything off a website before Heroes 5 even came out, but Ashan's not too bad and certainly much better crafted than the average high fantasy setting. And I have to admit (despite skipping Heroes 6 for reasons unrelated to Ashan) that it's grown on me. Have some more faith in your own setting, and do away with references in future games (or tone them down).

You said this, up above. I wanted to touch on this, because there's actually something interesting to be said about it, that I didn't want to waste space on in the preview. It's not just a case of "oh they're making retarded references to the old series that have nothing to do with Ashan". The most interesting sci-fi thing in the whole preview I saw was a quest concerning an astronomer who's been peering through scopes. He claims to have seen other worlds out amongst the stars--flat worlds, that appear to be engineered, moving by their own design. So it's possible Ubisoft might one day do their own take on sci-fi. It's equally possible this is just more shit Julien snuck in that will never be capitalized on. It's just uncertain. I guess if MMXL does well, the sequel will have more scrutiny, and we'll see what Ubisoft really wants.

A very informative and entertaining review. I wasn't aware of the fact that each race would have a fighter/rogue/caster class. One thing I liked about HoMM 3-4 was that each faction had a might hero type and a magic hero type. Lords of Magic did the fighter/rogue/caster class thing earlier, but the game was based on Lord of the Realm 2 and HoMM 2, so it's a case of what goes around comes around.

I doubt Limbic would use my wording. It would make more sense to say that the 3 choices most often resemble packages of skills that look like fighters or rogues or casters. Some push the envelope a bit. Would you call a spear-chucking orc who lays traps a rogue? I like shorthand, so there you go.

Last edited:

duchU

Educated
I guess u still cannot rotate during enemy movment? And option that allows to increase fonts have not been implemented?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A very informative and entertaining review. I wasn't aware of the fact that each race would have a fighter/rogue/caster class. One thing I liked about HoMM 3-4 was that each faction had a might hero type and a magic hero type. Lords of Magic did the fighter/rogue/caster class thing earlier, but the game was based on Lord of the Realm 2 and HoMM 2, so it's a case of what goes around comes around.

I doubt Limbic would use my wording. It would make more sense to say that the 3 choices most often resemble packages of skills that look like fighters or rogues or casters. Some push the envelope a bit. Would you call a spear-chucking orc who lays traps a rogue? I like shorthand, so there you go.

In the Might & Magic parlance, they're called "Might" classes, "Magic" classes, and hybrid classes.

Luzur

Good Sir
Hey, Narupley, Limbic wanna have a word with you, hands on collar style:

Alright. I am fed up with this discussions about "it will be a 10-15 hours game". So here is the challenge:

Dear Narupley,

We read your latest comments at RPGCodex (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/might-magic-x-early-access-now-available.81387/page…). All of us are curious if you can finish Legacy in "10 to 15 hours".

We would like to invite you between January the 10th and January the 22nd to prove it.

Flight, hotel, logis, organizing the trip etc. is obviously on us. We will prepare a nice setup for you: state-of-the-art machine, enough coffee, sweets, food and the best chair we have in the office. If you manage to finish your Legacy playthrough in less than 15 hours we offer the following:

- Retail Deluxe Box, signed by the team members
- We add you as a fantasy-stylish monster (3D model, animations, special attack ability "speed") in one of the future patches.
- Ubi contributes with a package of Ubi games and/or game keys. (I have to figure out with our producer which games we can get our hands on but he is already informed).

The requirements are:

- You use the default party.
- Game is finished (main story) and you trigger the ending cutscene. No need to do all sidequests. ;)
- You can play on whatever speed option you want.

If you fail we will:

- Add your real name to the credits in the following format: Naru "Talk is cheap" Pley.
- You will officially declare defeat and apology here on RPGcodex. And we will put this as a news on our blog aswell.

Just to be sure: We are a nice bunch of people here so no worries - noone is going to eat you alive (ok, maybe Spike). So if you are up for it just leave a comment here on RPG-Codex and we will get back to you as soon as we can to organize everything.

Cheers, Stephan

:avatard:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EDIT: Infinitron, that shit is newsworthy.

Eh, this is between Limbic and narupley. It's funny, but not a matter of public interest. If he writes an awesome story for us about the experience then maybe.

BigWeather

Augur
About the overworld -- I know it is grid-based (as it ought to be!) but are lots of squares walkable (I expect the occasional non-walkable like a pond or a large rock or whatever) or is it like trails of walkability through the area?

Zeriel

Arcane
About the overworld -- I know it is grid-based (as it ought to be!) but is every square walkable or is it like trails of walkability through the area?

There is unreachable terrain, obviously, as in all 3D environments (even Skyrim has to have unreachable terrain at the edges of the world to maintain illusion of it being an actual world). The minimap provides a very clear sense of what is explorable, though. Unreachable terrain doesn't show as tiles on the map, and all tiles can be reached, though sometimes they require Blessings or other stuff.

BigWeather

Augur
About the overworld -- I know it is grid-based (as it ought to be!) but is every square walkable or is it like trails of walkability through the area?

There is unreachable terrain, obviously, as in all 3D environments (even Skyrim has to have unreachable terrain at the edges of the world to maintain illusion of it being an actual world). The minimap provides a very clear sense of what is explorable, though. Unreachable terrain doesn't show as tiles on the map, and all tiles can be reached, though sometimes they require Blessings or other stuff.

Thanks Zeriel, that sounds great.

Zeriel

Arcane
- You use the default party.
meh.

Heh, I wonder why the default party restriction.

I don't wonder. Metagaming has always been absurd in Might & Magic (one of the things I like about the series, actually). Especially since they offer the clause of being able to ignore all the sidequests, that's almost the majority of content in these sorts of games. Knowing what I know about the game systems, I could prolly rush through the game in the timeframe they stated with the perfect, imbalanced party. Of course, that says nothing, since I think what they're getting at is the experience of a player new to the game.

For real trolling, they should make him play on Warrior, though. And no reloads!

Man, I'm hella jelly of Narupley plane tickets guy right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom