Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Preview: Blackguards

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Io-Daedalic, could you talk a bit about my pet peeve, documentation? As in, do you plan to expand heavily on documenation of the rules you use in the game in contrast to the somewhat lacking documenation you have in the early access build, or are you overall satisfied with the level of documentation?

Io-Daedalic

Educated
The Blackguards you see now is the result of a long process of evolution and it's not yet complete. It just turned out to become the game it is now.

Hmm, interesting. Are you free to share some more about that long process of evolution? What kind of competing visions/concepts did the game go through before taking its current, turn-based tactical RPG shape?

You probably can't tell it all, but you can share something, right? ;)
For example, in the early stages the team evaluated if an open travelling system with resting in the wild (as opposed to fixed routes and waypoints as it is now) was possible, then decided against such a system to be able to focus on fixed battles and balacing the game around them. While such a system probably sounds fun, it's almost always better to focus on few things and really make them work well instead of throw it all in the game and not have anything polished at all.

Io-Daedalic, could you talk a bit about my pet peeve, documentation? As in, do you plan to expand heavily on documenation of the rules you use in the game in contrast to the somewhat lacking documenation you have in the early access build, or are you overall satisfied with the level of documentation?
No, we know there is a lack of explanation to the underlying ruleset at the moment. Players have told us so again and again. I cannot tell you at this point what it's going to look like in the future, but the designers are discussing ways to explain things better at the moment. The first things we'll improve are most likely the tutorial hints.

Io-Daedalic

Educated
The Blackguards you see now is the result of a long process of evolution and it's not yet complete. It just turned out to become the game it is now.

Hmm, interesting. Are you free to share some more about that long process of evolution? What kind of competing visions/concepts did the game go through before taking its current, turn-based tactical RPG shape?

You probably can't tell it all, but you can share something, right? ;)
The dev team wanted to further elaborate on your question a bit :). Thus the following message is not written by me, but rather written by the devs themselves:

Thanks to RPG Codex for all the input from the “Leader of Rogues”
Right from the start we made a decision in regards to the tactical part of the game; let’s say this was the easiest part. We wanted to stick as close to the P&P rules as we could but make it enjoyable to all groups of players even those never played a tactical game or RPG.
The biggest part was to create something new and having no clue if the people will like it at the end. The main focus was on creating a game that will make fun at all; therefore we made a lot of decisions during the production linked to that issue which had a massive impact at all

For example, at first we created the cities to be walkable and fully 3d as in regular RPGs, but unfortunately it slowed down the whole game a lot and we needed to find a different way doing the same without breaking the fun. It was not our intention to add more useless game time to the game because you need to run from one point to another so we came up with the version which is now inside of the game.
Pretty same for the world map, we started with a full 3D map/world it looked great, but we discovered a lot of problems linked to it. This time is was more technical problems linked to the engine.
We also first liked the idea to have random encounters on top to the unique battle maps on the world map. It was a great idea, we thought but it turned to be bad as we tested it in real. The game feeling change from unique appeal to be repetitive which not our intention was so we dropped this feature as well.
So we had also the great idea to bring in flanking, so we tried to find a good way for it to bring it in. As we had finished the options we learned we had built something like a “conga line of death”. What on paper looked like a great idea turn out to be a nightmare in our game. In general the problem was linked to the hexes and of course the way we can move the chars or the enemy could move inside of the game. After three more attempts to change it into something good we decided to deactivate the option until we will find a real solution for the problem.
In regards to the GUI we had a few iterations with total freedom in char creation and char development for the player which lead to a total mess for our test players. They were overwhelmed by the freedom and the options they had until we came to the one which is the game, right now. This is mainly the reason for the missing documentation because we are now in the situation to write tutorials and also more documented things because we finished the Gui right before the Early Access approach. Also due to the feedback we learned a lot what should be documented because after 2,5 years it’s more like running around with horse blinkers.

But honestly spoken creativity and budget are two different things. We had/have tons of ideas that not made it into the game but we have them ready for whatever comes next.
There are a lot of things more to tell but maybe we will make a postmortem when the game has been finished so you can see more clearly what we tried and why something’s are not in as well.

So I am of to work now to get solutions to work, we gathered from the communities feedback.

Sincerely
The Leader of Rogues

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'd rather have indepth help screens than tutorial hints personally, but it's good to know that you're aware of it and working on solutions that work for you!

Also, if you don't know it, I will suggest taking a look at Knights of the Chalice, possibly the best documented modern RPG. It uses hyperlinked help-screens kind of like an ingame version of the game's own Wikipedia.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In regards to the GUI we had a few iterations with total freedom in char creation and char development for the player which lead to a total mess for our test players. They were overwhelmed by the freedom and the options they had

:(

Oh well, can't have it all.

P.S. Thanks a lot for the response!

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks to RPG Codex for all the input from the “Leader of Rogues”
Right from the start we made a decision in regards to the tactical part of the game; let’s say this was the easiest part. We wanted to stick as close to the P&P rules as we could but make it enjoyable to all groups of players even those never played a tactical game or RPG.

I really like your approach and I think you've realised it well. From what I've seen from the early access content, character sheets & evolution are very satisfying. It does feel like a p&p rpg.

:love:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The game sounds like it's in good hands. Thank you for the responses, Daedalic team. Although I'm a total sucker for open-world\dungeon exploration , I understand your motivation for removing them from the game. I completely agree that for this sort of game, combat quality should have a bigger priority.

As for the whole "Congaline of death" flanking thing, it sounds like this kind of problem can be fixed with an attack of opportunity system. I know it worked great in Expeditions Conquistador, and I understand that one was basically watered down 4E D&D combat.
I have no idea about how Dark Eye combat works- are AoOs a part of it?

But I guess it's too late to put any of that in now, so no matter. I can't wait to play through the entire game. I wish I could give you more feedback about it, but I'd rather wait until I have a full quality game in my hands, that I can really get into. Still bought it for the neat discount, tho.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The game sounds like it's in good hands. Thank you for the responses, Daedalic team. Although I'm a total sucker for open-world\dungeon exploration , I understand your motivation for removing them from the game. I completely agree that for this sort of game, combat quality should have a bigger priority.

As for the whole "Congaline of death" flanking thing, it sounds like this kind of problem can be fixed with an attack of opportunity system. I know it worked great in Expeditions Conquistador, and I understand that one was basically watered down 4E D&D combat.
I have no idea about how Dark Eye combat works- are AoOs a part of it?

But I guess it's too late to put any of that in now, so no matter. I can't wait to play through the entire game. I wish I could give you more feedback about it, but I'd rather wait until I have a full quality game in my hands, that I can really get into. Still bought it for the neat discount, tho.
There's an AoO combat talent available as an option, although I haven't yet encountered a trainer that teaches it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In regards to the GUI we had a few iterations with total freedom in char creation and char development for the player which lead to a total mess for our test players. They were overwhelmed by the freedom and the options they had

Next time change the test players rather than the game. Test players who can't actually play games are not good test players.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron

Next time change the test players rather than the game. Test players who can't actually play games are not good test players.
Yeah, I think they should have gone the way Drakensang did and offer several preset defaults, with the option to change stats in "advanced" mode. It's a false dichotomy between complexity and simplicity.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
this kind of problem can be fixed with an attack of opportunity system.
AoO are in the game, as a talent.

We have no intentions to drop difficulty whatsoever. Actually, I'm quite curious how this discussion will develop when Chapter II is out ;).
Good to know this, and that you guys are prepared for the masses crying about how "Takate is Impossible!!!", that is unfair not to rest between fights and all that. Keep on the good work guys!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, I think they should have gone the way Drakensang did and offer several preset defaults, with the option to change stats in "advanced" mode. It's a false dichotomy between complexity and simplicity.
Hardly anyone takes defaults when the option to make your own character is available. I believe they made the right call here.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hardly anyone takes defaults when the option to make your own character is available. I believe they made the right call here.

I guess we would be surprised. I've seen a "youtuber" calling the fact that you have only one ressource to spend to increase your various attributes, talents and skills "very confusing", in contrast to have points already spread between attributes and talents when you level up, like in many other rpgs. He was also lamenting about the fact that this system, while giving you more freedom, could result in a failed build if you didn't bother researching where you should spend your points. True story. I wonder why those types even bother playing rpgs in the first place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laHUwoPc9M4

Also, I find it very ironic that he would call himself "force strategy gaming"...

Murk

Arcane
Checked the video; guy seems pretty much a goober.

Complaints about the way looting items works. Ugh.

I'm so stoked for this game.

Last edited:
Io-Daedalic
Good to know you guus have your priorities right. Focusing on delivering a polished product in few aspects is wise.

I second the suggestion to look at KotC for suggestions for in-game documentation. Most of us aren't very familiar with TDE 4th ed. ruleset.
Could you keep an option of unlocking the character creation after selecting the archtype? Fine tuning a various builds would definifely add replay value. Could add pop-up recommendations for players like your testers to stick with default archetype build.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Giving everyone one free respec and then additional respecs at a nontrivial cost could possibly be beneficial to everyone. Dunno if that's feasible at this point in time.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think they should change anything about character creation at this point. Not anything substantial, at least.

Yes, it sucks that the testers were dumb like that, but adding free-form character creation would just require too much testing/rebalancing. The game seems to be a lot of fun as it is anyway.

Perhaps they could do it in a sequel/expansion if this one sells well.

Attempting to mondblut Blackguards, will be a real joy.

And I don't mean fully free form Char gen like TDE 4th Ed. That will be kinda crazy at this point.

Most Non-combat Talents, Special Abilities and all advantages/disadvantages not linked to profession are not implemented. And understandably so, to focus on delivering a Polished game.

The character generation in PnP is based on GP. After selecting an Archetype, An option could be re-introduced for customization, and within the min-max limits of profession/race/culture (last two are default) they could simply allow to increase/reduce few talents/special abilities/spells to fine tune it.

Like Skeletons are immune to piercing/slashing. And Fencing Weapons while having good AT, cannot parry chained/blunt 2h weapons and so on. And to build a gish, buffing spells are more effective for the consecutive battles that test attrition etc.

Io-Daedalic

Educated
The issue of a less restrictive character creation came up on the Steam boards as well and we know it is a much requested feature. Our team is looking into ways to make this possible, though I cannot say what it's going to look like in the future. Or when a change will be implemented.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bros, Chapter 2 of the game is out now.

Hi there, we are proud to tell you that you can play chapter 2 from now on. We want to thank you very much for your detailed feedback and your bug reports. We are constantly improving the quality of the game and keep discussing your feature requests.

Chapter 2 is of smaller scope than chapter one and thus will take less time to play through. This is not because we were too lazy to produce content. But our writer and game designers agree that this, at least in our humble opinion, is the best way possible to present the story. The good news is that chapter 3, all sidequests included, will be around twice the size of chapter 1. So stay tuned for new content!

This Chapter abandons the kiddy gloves and starts the trully hard battles, so prepare for some fun and for MASSIVE butthurt on Steam forums.

Io-Daedalic

Educated
Bros, Chapter 2 of the game is out now.

Hi there, we are proud to tell you that you can play chapter 2 from now on. We want to thank you very much for your detailed feedback and your bug reports. We are constantly improving the quality of the game and keep discussing your feature requests.

Chapter 2 is of smaller scope than chapter one and thus will take less time to play through. This is not because we were too lazy to produce content. But our writer and game designers agree that this, at least in our humble opinion, is the best way possible to present the story. The good news is that chapter 3, all sidequests included, will be around twice the size of chapter 1. So stay tuned for new content!

This Chapter abandons the kiddy gloves and starts the trully hard battles, so prepare for some fun and for MASSIVE butthurt on Steam forums.
Thanks for announcing it here :).

Is Altoum part of the gameworld?
No, Altoum won't be part of the gameworld.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Nice to see that special staves have actual effects now. +1 Astral regeneration should make very long fights more viable for a purely magic focused character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom