Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Josh Sawyer at GDC Europe 2016

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Sawyer is pretty aware of his limitations, but limiting Sawyer isn't high on Obsidian management's priorities. He has generally come through for Urquhart in tough situations, and is basically the company's "hound of war."

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nazrim Eldrak Educated

Nazrim Eldrak
    Parrots:
    Sawyer seems eloquent, that makes him perfect for defending the game. He also admits some mistakes in PoE by saying:
    which makes his words more credible

Reading the following argument not only once -
    - makes me believe that the root of their problems is the engine. In the last (two) Twitch streams, if I remember correctly, Sawyer gave the impression that the engine has improved by saying that it is now easier to do stuff more faster than before.

Nevertheless one should be careful by supporting PoE2, because Sawyers eloquence didn´t make PoE1 a enjoyable game in the first place. As an example for a dissapointed gamer I want to mention Roguey.
    Show Spoiler
    Josh Sawyer's words of wisdom (that he failed to live up to with Pillars of Eternity 1.0 but succeeded with 3.0):
    (regarding crpg rulesets) "Pretty much all games get it wrong."
    "Honestly, I think it's really sad that RPGs essentially get a pass on having fundamentally junk core gameplay. And yes, I do consider combat to be a core gameplay element of most RPGs."

^ Top  
  3. Quillon Learned

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Yeah, sounded like they've been making tools to streamline production. I'm excited for the figstarter, they'll prolly have something more concrete to show this time other than saying "we made this and that and that other classic game" also given that only one of the 3 advertised legendary devs left on the project from the first campaign. Also expecting better stretch goals than what we've been seeing in other games(100k for customizable insignia, YAY!), especially with all those "hard to author" wanted features "for the future".

^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    "Good" stretch goals are dead as a concept. :M

^ Top  
  5. TheSentinel Savant

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Just get rid of stretch goals altogether.

Fucking cancer that only added more strain to PoE development and brought nothing good. Stronghold was useless shit, Caed Nua ended up as boring filler, backer NPCs were cringeworthy, Twin Elms was cut and short as fuck with nothing interesting inside.

^ Top  
  6. Quillon Learned

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Well, some certain stretches really stretched the game but not all were bad:

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  7. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    Twin Elms was short, yes, but it had some of the best quests in the (base) game.

^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Twin Elms was the right size given player fatigue that would be inevitable in act 3. :cool:

^ Top  
  9. Quillon Learned

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Twin Elms felt like the game starting all over again; right when all the infodump finished and we got familiarized with defiance bay and surroundings etc. a new batch of infodump about a whole new culture and location started, it was just too much, barely stopped myself from rushing through to the end. And for the devs the pacing problem is in between act1 and 2...

^ Top  
  10. Sannom Savant

Sannom
    Parrots:
    You're an idiot. Twin Elms has some of the best quests in the game and Glanfanthan society has much more personality than what we saw in Defiance Bay.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    One of the highlights of my Pillars replay was finding out that the Glanfanthans have in fact been hitting on the delemgans all this time (as I would).

[​IMG]

:shredder:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. tripedal Learned

tripedal
    Parrots:
    Does Twin Elms really have decent quests? It's where I quit the game and uninstalled. I walk in and immediately someone asks me to murder a fucking baby, it was like a bad parody of a typical Obsidian quest.

^ Top  
  13. TheSentinel Savant

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Yeah it has some neat ones. Probably the most memorable quests in the game, other than Raedric's Hold and the one about the guy's daughter and the cult in the village.
    Also
    Show Spoiler
    you can carry that baby with you for the rest of the game, you don't need to kill it. The game even has a slide at the end acknowledging that you're carrying a baby around.

^ Top  
  14. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    There are other ways to avoid killing it.

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Nope.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)