Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Codex Interview: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

MCA
The interview seemed insanely long before I started reading, and too short after I had finished. :salute:

That's something I like about Cleve. His posting history is full of walls of text that might scare you at a glance but once you start reading, it flows like water and you definitely enjoy the ride. If the writing of the game will be anything similar, which I expect it to be, it will possibly be one of the most memorable RPGs.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I think it's funny how people now classify Cleve as "codexian" when there was a time when he wanted nothing to do with us. I think he even banned people on his forum of which he thought they might even have the slightest connection with the codex :lol:

Moribund

A droglike
Maybe should have less neanderthal references or wiz/sir tech references. Not really relevant to the game itself. But all the other answers are great.

TripJack

Hedonist
dear cleve seems to have forgotten the promise he made in 2010 during the avatar incident
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
You're without question the sorriest scumbags that ever got behind a keyboard. Without question the worst site on the internet, run by the worst people. This is why you didn't get an interview from me and you never will

r00fles

Looks like the reddit LIBERULS got their collective panties in a bunch over Mr.Blakemores political views. Suppose this is BTE material but might as well post it here for maximum butthurt in any case since it links to this here fine thread.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/129snm/rpg_codex_interviews_cleveland_mark_blakemore/
Remember prole, big brother is watching, thought crime and deviating from what is approved of by the party will not be tolerated.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like the reddit LIBERULS got their collective panties in a bunch over Mr.Blakemores political views. Suppose this is BTE material but might as well post it here for maximum butthurt in any case since it links to this here fine thread.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/129snm/rpg_codex_interviews_cleveland_mark_blakemore/
Remember prole, big brother is watching, thought crime and deviating from what is approved of by the party will not be tolerated.

Actually, they seem to be taking it pretty well.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

/\
|
Upwards of fifty different endocrinal disruptors in water supply of most Western people, all of them effeminizing the brain in different ways. Proof to be found at link above.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

... but you can't help but ask ... what do these guys really get out of being mobile enforcers of strict adherence to televitz ideas if they are not getting paid any money for it?

In the old days, you went to college to learn about the appropriate ideas you could express about special reserved classes of people ... and then you were rewarded when you graduated by being able to earn enough money to live as far away as possible from those people. Nowadays, what gain is there in parroting politically korrect ideas with such strict kontrol it would shock the Bolshevists of Russia?

You have to understand the r/K ratio.

The "r" side of the r/K ratio stands for "reamed."

kaizoku

Arcane
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
You're without question the sorriest scumbags that ever got behind a keyboard. Without question the worst site on the internet, run by the worst people. This is why you didn't get an interview from me and you never will

I think it's funny how people now classify Cleve as "codexian" when there was a time when he wanted nothing to do with us. I think he even banned people on his forum of which he thought they might even have the slightest connection with the codex :lol:

They all crawl back for the kreamy kodex kock sooner or latter.

7hm

Scholar
Reddit (or rather, specific communities within reddit, which are allowed to exist by the site adminstrators) is perhaps the worst den of evil on the internet. Pretty much the response to anyone complaining about anything on reddit is: http://metareddit.com/r/CreepShots (uh... Probably NWS. I dunno. I didn't want to explore it beyond the main page, which is more than creepy enough for me)

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Regarding the last point in the interview:

I agree that Lands of Lore 2 was kinda disappointing at first compared to the first part. The reason was mostly because there were almost no RPG features anymore. Undeniable dumbed down. Instead they introduced 3D environments, needed to apply architecture, real actors instead of primitve gifs, real music instead of bad midi sound. All that cost money. It was a tradeoff. You may say that it was a bad one, and I might agree.

But this is why I don't get the rant about Wizardry 8. This tradeoff didn't happen there. In Wiz8 they kept all the variety, complexity of the skills, races, professions, interactivity, etc. despite going to 3D.

I also doubt the "it was so much better that time, the omg so awesome atmosphere, best game in the world etc." claims - Is it really? Or is it only a foggy memory of how awesome it *was at that time*? I bet it is the latter one. If you watch a movie today, which you found superawesome 10 years ago, you'll likely mumble "omg, how cheap and boring...".

Talking of atmosphere: in these dungeon crawlers the atmosphere build up in the player's mind mostly turned out to be a bummer in the end. Let's take for example Lands of Lore 1: I remember how I was sent to some Yvel town to "join" the battle with King Richard against the Orcs. Ok - I was very eager for this great battle along my comrades and tried to get to the town as ASAP. There was even a picture where you could see burning huts from afar.
Arrived at the town there was no battle. And there was no King Richard. And no friendly army to join the battle at all. Not even burning huts. Just the same old labyrinth-like dungeons with a different texture. I didn't find that awesome. And this pattern repeated itself a lot. Not only in this game, but also in other dungeon crawlers like Stonekeep, etc... But as a matter of fact it was just plain dumb. Is this the "awesome atmosphere" some of you remember?

Another example: Deus Ex 1. Awesome in memory, but play it again and you'll most likely don't find it that awesome anymore...

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Arrived at the town there was no battle. And there was no King Richard. And no friendly army to join the battle at all. Not even burning huts. Just the same old labyrinth-like dungeons with a different texture. I didn't find that awesome. And this pattern repeated itself a lot. Not only in this game, but also in other dungeon crawlers like Stonekeep, etc... But as a matter of fact it was just plain dumb. Is this the "awesome atmosphere" some of you remember?

It is for me. The part you are talking about in Lands of Lore was awesome. The deserted city after the "battle" was fantastic. Must suck to have nothing but the popamole. I found all of this very moody and atmospheric.

Biggest problem with StoneKeep was it's attempt to mimic photorealism with real actors. That just didn't work at all.

Johannes

Arcane
I also doubt the "it was so much better that time, the omg so awesome atmosphere, best game in the world etc." claims - Is it really? Or is it only a foggy memory of how awesome it *was at that time*? I bet it is the latter one. If you watch a movie today, which you found superawesome 10 years ago, you'll likely mumble "omg, how cheap and boring...".
:0/5:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom