Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    why do you hate obsidian so much bro

• Funny Funny x 5
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nano Learned

Nano
    Parrots:
    No publisher would care about the slightly below 85 Metascore the game got because of the bugs it had at launch. What they would care about is the 10+ million copies it sold.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Fry Magister

Fry
    Parrots:
    If there's one thing the Codex understands, it's how the actual business of video games works.

:ehue:

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Glaucon Savant

Glaucon
    Parrots:
    Where was all this juicy drama in the Road to Eternity documentary?

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    ...tell them to adopt NK-Intranet. (swearing = salt mines)

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Ok, let’s put things in perspective. After the closure of Black Isle Studios, they created Obsidian. They had the pedigree of being the last developers that would give us the cRPGs that nobody wants to make anymore. But after more than 14 years in existence, cancelled projects and complaints about publishers they gave us three good games: KOTOR 2, F:NV, and MotB. Everyone wanted more CRPG’s and were cheering for them. The studio was struggling and almost close its doors, and then there is steam, kickstarter, cRPG renascence and whatnot. So they finally have an opportunity to do a cRPG without undue publisher influence, save their studio and what is that they do? A series of bullshit IE clones. To add insult to injury the guy in charge says condescending things about the game they were supposed to clone, their target audience that he criticises as traditionalists and treated like a dog one of the best developers in the the genre—and I’m not even considering the repeated eulogies to Bethesda and popamole games made in public.

If everyone was still dying for new cRPGs, I would not be picky. I would gladly accept IWD 2.0 and say thank you. But times are different now and there is an explosion of new cRPGs, many of them made by genuine cRPG fans that actually care about the salubrity of the genre instead of waiting for some big publisher and a big contract. So yeah, I think I'm entitled to be just a litle bit angry, bro.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    • Brofist x 10
    • Salute x 8
    • Agree x 4
    • butthurt x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • what? x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    it's true that sawyer's said some pretty retarded shit & backstabbed a huge part of the IE audience, but I don't think you need to retroactively hate their other games & blame them for shit outside of their control because of Sawyer's garbage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    But I was not being retroactively anything, I was just being realistic. I like F:NV, but this QA publisher thing was always a bad excuse.

^ Top  
  9. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Personally I feel like the QA thing is irrelevant. If it was Bethesda's responsibility, then it's obviously not Obsidian's fault. If it was Obsidian's fault, then I'd still give them a break because of the incredibly short amount of development time. Plus, I'll always prefer a good game that comes out buggy but is eventually fixed to a game that got important content cut to avoid bugs/complications & is lesser for it (which seems to be Sawyer's philosophy, someone probably told him to fuck off in New Vegas or something).

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Avellone interview thread turns into a Sawyer thread. :negative:

Had some nice laughs at the goons who find Durance and the Codex too icky.

• Balanced Balanced x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ColonelTeacup Learned

ColonelTeacup
    Parrots:
    What they mean is people don't suck their dick for mediocre to bad content here like reddit would.

• Agree x 8
    • Brofist x 4
    • Yes x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fry Magister

Fry
    Parrots:
    Probably because he hasn't done anything of note in years, and the only way to gin up any interest in him is to set him up as an enemy of the developer the codex loves to hate.

• When words are not enough x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ocelot570 Literate

Ocelot570
    Parrots:
    It has turned into a Civil War between Avellonians and Sawyerites. May God bless the Codex as unnecessary bloodshed is not spilled.

• Deus Vult x 8
    • Balanced x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ColonelTeacup Learned

ColonelTeacup
    Parrots:
    Obsidian burned their relationship? With who, Bethesda/Zenimax? The company that cut their development time out from under Obsidian, forcing them to release the game within 1&1/2 to 2 years? Or how they had their bonus tied to metacritic, which Bethesda most likely had their employees review bomb to try and deny Obsidian their bonus, after making a game that has made Zenimax/Bethesda hundreds of millions of dollars?

The same Zenimax/Bethesda that has a track record of sabotaging smaller dev studios with stretch goals to try a hostile takeover, while having them develop a game for them? All to steal the devs intellectual content for cheap, as well as own them and their employees for a pittance rather than try and buy them out legitimately, instead tricking them and sabotaging them into losing all their money and forcing the devs to submit to them or lose everything like a pimped out street hooker? That burned reputation?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Look, jokes aside, regardless of how you feel about the newer IE games - Josh wasn't insulting anyone, the "traditionalist audience" includes himself and the people who worked themselves to death developing 3 of these games, in-a-row. For an industry that used to ignore them, applauded EA dumbing them down, and today largely focuses on "competitive gaming innovators" or "social-jihadism" above all else. I'm grateful Obsidian has remained independent for this long, they've shown more conviction than Bioware ever has. If any of them want a bigger challenge in their careers, they should go for it. The AAA field needs to start setting good trends again - experienced devs passionate for gaming. It's currently a shit-show filled with people resenting the entire medium - some openly admitting it :oops: Lol...

If the Bethesda "popamole" you refer to includes FO:NV and everything Arkane Studios, as a hands-off publisher, you are angry at the wrong groups.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Kyl Von Kull Arcane

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    I shoot for the stars but sometimes hit London
    Obsidian burned their relationships with every publisher they’ve ever worked with. It’s practically their trademark. They have a bad track record when it comes to resource management, not to mention releasing buggy/unfinished games.

I think Paradox may be the only publisher that’s put out more than one of their games (correct me if I’m wrong). Seems like Feargus really loves to overpromise and is a piss poor manager.

The fact that Chris was treated like an asshole for wanting a clear hierarchy really says it all. The alternative to a clear hierarchy is not a non-hierarchical environment, it’s an unclear hierarchy. No one benefits from that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Parrots:
    What that guy "Advisor" is talking about just factually false, but who cares what anyone thinks there?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Once more unto the Codex Learned Patron

Once more unto the Codex
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Every Codex thread eventually turns into a PoE/Sawyer/Obsidian Thread.

All-around this was a great read. A lot of great insight mixed with a nice dose of whining and bitching (not to say that Avelone doesn't have every right to bitch and whine about Obsidian, given how that relationship ended). From reading this, I sense that, if Avelone had been the Project Lead on PoE, it would have probably had great writing and shittier combat and would not have been released until May 8, 2018.

• Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    No dude, you are confused. He only works on these games to take your money. He is not like you at all. He would be much better working in triple-A gaming.

Independent compared to Bethesda and Bioware, release three good games in 14 years, some with even worse combat and C&C than DA:O. That's a low bar for all the attention and money you give them, and the pedigree they have. The market changed completely in the meantime. We have more cRPGs that we have time to play and most of them look more fresh, or hardcore, or innovative than their games. The haters are not the ones obsessed with them, you fanboys are. It seems you guys are stucked in the past with a false idol.

You mean, two or three bad apples treat their audience like garbage because they have no self-esteem. That hardly qualifies as the industry.

The proper comparison is not between Obsidian and Bethesda, but between them and every other cRPG studio out there. Times changed, stop living in the past.

In other words, they are unprofessional.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • retadred retadred x 4
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Puteo Literate

Puteo
    Parrots:
    Not possible.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    Suggesting that Sawyer implements better combat system and release games faster, and that the choice between him and Avellone is some kind of trade off. Fuck this gay world.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Gonna assume you're still a student if you think that cheap.

Greedy developers do not have further success using crowd-funding, and the brazenly disreputable never go near it to begin with - or fail outright.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Heads up - I just received this from Eric Fenstermaker:

• Informative x 38
    • Brofist x 10
    • FAKE NEWS x 7
    • Funny x 3
    • Interesting x 3
    • When words are not enough x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Rage x 2
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • meh x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Nano Learned

Nano
    Parrots:
    He says while insulting Avellone in the process. :lol:

• Agree x 13
    • Funny x 7
    • Brofist x 5
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Kyl Von Kull Arcane

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    I shoot for the stars but sometimes hit London
    Well, fuck me, this is getting interesting. I guess we should be careful to remember that Chris is an expert storyteller when we read his answers.

• Funny x 13
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Participation Award x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)