Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone at Digital Dragons 2016

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
anyway, he got more stuff other than DOS and torment too. also not mean to intrude another man's family business, but if i am being selfish, i hope his matters are resolved so he can works as lead writer + full commitment instead of this bits and pieces that end up getting cut anyway.

looks like alot of hands are outstretched to him, he just cannot accept any more responsibilities.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
If you want to talk about cinema or literature in academic circles your peers won't expect you to have seen every film ever made or read every book ever written, but there will be certain works they will expect you to be familiar with (Citizen Kane, Psycho, 2001, The Bible, The Ramayana, The Quran, etc). If instead you boldly proclaim you're completely unfamiliar with the relevant works and how dare they expect you to be, then they will probably treat you like a fool, regardless of how many other films you've seen or books you've read.

:)

Right but Codex is hardly the equivalent of an academic circle, most members here will flock to latest Bethesda turd and proceed waste several hundred hours on it. Just because you watched Citizen Kane once a long time ago doesn't absolve you of spending most of your present "cinema" time on Michael Bay's trash, the latter is still very much representative of your taste otherwise you wouldn't be spending your money and free time on it.

Fluent should play Fallout and PST because they're great games (certainly far better than modern offerings, including those produced by nostalgia peddlers), that's about it. Not because of some genre research or to be on a more equal footing with other Codexers who played them (or claim they did).

Deleted Member 16721

Console games are not real RPG, don't kid yourself

Come on, now. This is just silly. You must either be joking or looking for a reaction, right? :)

It's clear to anyone who's played enough console RPGs throughout the years that even if many of them are Japanese in origin, they share many similarities with other computer RPGs. They are, in fact, "real RPGs".

Not to mention that many PC RPGs got ported to console over the years, many of which I've played.

Maybe there is some "Codex Consensus" that console RPGs aren't real RPGs, but I'm sure the majority of gamers would clearly disagree with that.

I really don't care to even discuss what makes up a "real RPG" because so many RPGs are different with entirely different philosophies and designs, yet still scratch the RPG itch.

I consider Final Fantasy to be just as "real RPG" as Elminage Gothic which is just as "real RPG" as Wizardry 1 which is just as "real RPG" as Baldur's Gate, etc. etc.

Different design philosophies, different games, different ideas. All RPGs.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Console games are not real RPG, don't kid yourself

Come on, now. This is just silly. You must either be joking or looking for a reaction, right? :)

It's clear to anyone who's played enough console RPGs throughout the years that even if many of them are Japanese in origin, they share many similarities with other computer RPGs. They are, in fact, "real RPGs".

Not to mention that many PC RPGs got ported to console over the years, many of which I've played.

Maybe there is some "Codex Consensus" that console RPGs aren't real RPGs, but I'm sure the majority of gamers would clearly disagree with that.

I really don't care to even discuss what makes up a "real RPG" because so many RPGs are different with entirely different philosophies and designs, yet still scratch the RPG itch.

I consider Final Fantasy to be just as "real RPG" as Elminage Gothic which is just as "real RPG" as Wizardry 1 which is just as "real RPG" as Baldur's Gate, etc. etc.

Different design philosophies, different games, different ideas. All RPGs.
Don't waste your breath, as his tag says, Archangel is possibly retarded. What did you expect from him? Saying something like "console games are not real RPG" just make this more obvious.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
26+ years of heavy RPG gaming, all for naught because I haven't played 2 specific classic CRPGs yet.

Woe is me. :)

By the way, did you play Arcanum?

XbrPCOV.png

Deleted Member 16721

Yes, I played several hours of Arcanum, but not nearly enough yet. Early impressions were - this is exactly my type of game. Brilliant stuff that I would put near the top of a short list of "Most Interesting RPGs" I've played. :)

Excellent character creation, brilliant setting - overall a very unique, interesting and wonderfully creative game. Need to play more soon. :)

Deleted Member 16721

As in, why I stopped playing it? No, although I did run into those wolves you might be talking about near the starting area! :D

I happened to last play it during a time where my passion for gaming was crashing a bit. My mind works like that. I go through hot and cold periods when it comes to my hobbies, and Arcanum was played during the start of a cold spell. :)

At the time I think I was playing at least 5, if not 7 different RPGs. I was uploading a one hour video for each game every day, a different game depending on the day. While I would love to eventually do that again, I have to wait until the inspiration hits me again. :)

Lhynn

Arcane
Right but Codex is hardly the equivalent of an academic circle, most members here will flock to latest Bethesda turd and proceed waste several hundred hours on it.
Actually that sounds p. much like most academic circles work.

Starym

Educated
Yes, I played several hours of Arcanum, but not nearly enough yet. Early impressions were - this is exactly my type of game. Brilliant stuff that I would put near the top of a short list of "Most Interesting RPGs" I've played. :)

Excellent character creation, brilliant setting - overall a very unique, interesting and wonderfully creative game. Need to play more soon. :)
So you find an RPG that's among the most interesting, exactly your type of game and your immediate reaction is to stop playing it. Yea that's what I do too. When I first played Torment and saw all the things you could do in the Mortuary I instantly stopped playing for a year. Then I played a few more hours and skipped another year. I am currently around Curst and it's taken me a couple of decades but I sure am savouring it, same as you!

Seriously though how can you have an actual YT channel with 600 videos about RPGs, call yourself an RPG enthusiast and feel it's ok to not have played the two consensus best games in the genre (and I don't mean KKK either, pretty much everyone anywhere ranks those two at least among the best if not THE best).

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Reading this thread and watching it going off the rails, you'd almost think that fluent was some kind of master troll, but really, he is just
possibly_retarded.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom