Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
the average of all votes - which is 3,48

That's some impressive grade inflation right there, especially if you consider all the 1 votes on DA:I, Sacred, etc. Have we finally arrived at the point when the Codex likes almost every RPG that comes out?

Weasel
That's some impressive grade inflation right there, especially if you consider all the 1 votes on DA:I, Sacred, etc. Have we finally arrived at the point when the Codex likes almost every RPG that comes out?

Realise that's tongue in cheek, but the system did encourage 5/5 ratings for favoured games. The main candidates DOS, DF, WL2 were all flawed and I doubt most would rate them 5/5 individually. But everyone seemed to use 5/5 to indicate their favourite game (knowing the system and probably assuming voters for other games would be awarding them 5/5).

Not a problem in awarding relative results, obviously. Just makes it look like everyone was even more positive than they probably were after an admittedly good year.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
acolyte

We're not trying to find what games are the most popular, we're trying to find which games people liked the most.

WL2 was played by a lot of people, but it was also found mediocre by a good percentage of them.
Does not mean, that a game played by 10 people with 5/5 is a better game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, it was a silly mistake, but it could indeed be a big one. Is good to have people nitpicking for flaws, no matter the motivation.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
That's also the case with Underrail. Stealth system is unique because unlike most games it's used by adversaries as well and you can be surprised with a hit from behind if your perception check fails. Seen this in tactical squad games, but not in traditional RPGs.

Shadow thieves in BG 2 loved stealthing through your ranks and backstabbing your mages. Before you ask, no I didn't use any mods/tweaks/whatever, if you forgot about them it's mostly because they were pretty easy to dispatch and rarely killed anyone with their mass stealth assault.

Athelas

Arcane
Shadow thieves in BG 2 loved stealthing through your ranks and backstabbing your mages. Before you ask, no I didn't use any mods/tweaks/whatever, if you forgot about them it's mostly because they were pretty easy to dispatch and rarely killed anyone with their mass stealth assault.
Invisibility potions. :M

Athelas

Arcane
toro, how do you feel about the end result of your research being Wasteland 2 dropping even lower when you were trying to get it in a higher position?:troll:

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Reviewing this further, I think m should be a much higher value than 7. It's supposed to be a cutoff of "we got enough votes to start rating this thing". Looking at our data, I would say it should be around 50.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Reviewing this further, I think m should be a much higher value than 7. It's supposed to be a cutoff of "we got enough votes to start rating this thing". Looking at our data, I would say it should be around 50.
Yeah, but if I use 7, 50 or 200 the results differ. So arbitrarily deciding which to use after the poll would be blatant manipulation. I had no idea we would reach +1200 votes, so going for the lowest number felt reasonable at the time.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah, but if I use 7, 50 or 200 the results differ. So arbitrarily deciding which to use after the poll would be blatant manipulation. I had no idea we would reach +1200 votes, so going for the lowest number felt reasonable at the time.

So... what's the result for 50?

Both player and enemy in BG can use invisibility, but only the player can use stealth.

I've meant stealth as in "aproaching enemy while being undetected" not literally using "stealth" abillity. What would it change anyway besides making them fail half of the time?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So... what's the result for 50?
Divinity: Original Sin
Shadowrun: Dragonfall – Director's Cut
Wasteland 2
NEO Scavenger
Legend of Grimrock II
Valkyria Chronicles
Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Tales of Maj'Eyal : Ashes of Uhr'Rohk
Lords of Xulima

:M
The higher you go, the more you punish games with few votes. At 200 Grimrock II becomes 4th and Might & Magic X appears in 10th.

Wasteland 2
NEO Scavenger
Legend of Grimrock II
Valkyria Chronicles
Lords of Xulima

:M
The higher you go, the more you punish games with few votes. At 200 Grimrock II becomes 4th and Might & Magic X appears in 10th.

How far wold we need to go to kick Wasteland 2 to the first place?

Weasel
Someone wake up toro :lol:

Quite glad NEO Scavenger got 3rd though, a bit of extra publicity for a small game can make a big difference

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Wasteland 2
NEO Scavenger
Legend of Grimrock II
Valkyria Chronicles
Lords of Xulima
Compare with:

(...)

Anyway, ranked on the results above, the top 9 looks like this:
1. Divinity: Original Sin
2. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
3. Wasteland 2
4. Legend of Grimrock 2
5. NeoScavenger
6. Valkyria Chronicles
7. Heroine's Quest
8. Legend of Heroes.
9. Tales of Maj'Eyal : Ashes of Uhr'Rohk
(...)

Athelas

Arcane
I've meant stealth as in "aproaching enemy while being undetected" not literally using "stealth" abillity. What would it change anyway besides making them fail half of the time?
:hmmm: The discussion was about enemies in Underrail being able to utilize the stealth system, which isn't the case in BG. If BG did have something like that, this would have big implications for gameplay - it could mean enemy thieves could scout ahead and catch you off guard, just like the player can. This isn't the case with invisibility, which is a spell and therefore has limited uses/duration.

And sure, stealth is functionally identical to invisibility in the IE games, which is one of the reasons why the stealth system in the IE games isn't very good.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
How far wold we need to go to kick Wasteland 2 to the first place?
Never happens. Even at 800 D:OS and Dragonfall stay ahead. You would have to be VERY creative to find a analysis that places W2 ahead of D:OS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom