Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Routine - Upcoming First Person Space Horror

Tancred

Learned
First announced in late 2012.

Dec 2015 - 'we are doing final pass on environment assets and core gameplay features'

Nov 2016 - 'game is ready but we don't want to release near Steam Xmas sales, we will polish some more to make it even more awesome and release in March 2017!!'

March 2017 - 'we just need another 1-2 months, honest this time, also here is a gif of a cute robot clipping through a crate'

Now look at your calendar. It's April 2018.

:dead:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Bump for
rating_butthurt.png

Tancred

Learned
This got posted on the Routine subreddit yesterday by one of the semi-regular posters. Obviously no way of knowing if it's true but I remember seeing him alluding to this before and I'm inclined to believe him. There still hasn't been any official word from Aaron or the other devs for 1.5 years now.

We were close. There was a tight knit group of people, myself included, that hung out online through Skype, Steam, Battle.net, and hell we even went to Unreal Developers Meetup in Europe to discuss the future of Unreal and share the technologies that were being implemented. Anyways, and I've posted this before but I'll do it again. They became extremely strapped for cash. Eating frozen chicken and top ramen. Couldn't afford to even replace desk chairs that broke. Aaron even used an uncomfortable dinner table chair for a month before we stepped in. We (a private group of investors) told him we'd back Routine, because this wasn't a huge operation. We'd give Lunar Software financial support, development support to ease development burdens and lift some of the weight off Aaron's shoulders, as well as Peters, who is a very gifted programmer. He wasn't interested. We even offered to buy Routine, keep it under the name of "Lunar Software" fund the game and just take a percentage of the sales. Wasn't interested. All of a sudden over a year ago, he just went dark. Friends who had talked, discussed and shared our lives for years were completely ignored. He took us off his Skype, email, Steam, Battlet.net, social media.

The only person I'm remotely in contact with is Jemma's brother, a stand-up guy but keeps to himself. He won't even talk about it because he has no idea what's going on. But judging by everyone's idea, we believe it got too much for him, too many issues, not enough development experience and he completely stopped development.

Aaron is a great guy but he's very headstrong. He literally spent years stuck in his loft developing Routine. He shrugged off his health and his life and I'm not sure if he ever wants to actually come back. Again, we were very close. And more than losing Routine, I hate losing my friends.

And for everyone saying "Source?" I'm not going to post our Skype logs lol. You either believe me or you don't. I don't care.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Routine/comments/9gp3cw/while_weve_been_stressing_about_this_game_aaron/

lightbane

Arcane
More stuff I feel it should be pointed out:

While we’ve been stressing about this game, Aaron Foster has been making fortnite highlights.

:decline:

Not surprised. He was into Overwatch for awhile. When we asked him if we could play along with him (close "friends") he took us off his battle.net and Steam. Shame, I get it. Routine was a heavy undertaking. We tried to help him physically and financially but I think Routine became more of a chore than a passion.

I really think the shittiest part of all this is why he won't confirm Routine's demise. His Unreal developer portal has been disbanded for almost two years, he hasn't talked to his buddies in almost two years. Man's just ashamed and in hiding. Which I understand, but people were very passionate about Routine but I think he feels that he doesn't owe anyone an explanation because he didn't crowd fund. But we did get him on Steam Green light. Routine still holds the record as the fastest greenlit game on Steam until greenlight was ultimately cancelled.

Well, what a shame, project is dead for good. I guess you can say that the routine became too much for him. *yeah*

A pity.

:negative:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Literally necro'd.

Steam_Overview_GIF.gif

ROUTINE is a First Person Sci-Fi Horror title set on an abandoned Lunar base designed around an 80’s vision of the future.

Curious exploration turns into a need for survival when a lunar base goes completely quiet. Searching for answers puts you face to face with an enemy who is certain the main threat is you. Discoveries lead to deeper unknowns and the only way to go is forward.

Steam_Features_GIF.gif

• EXPLORE: Roam through contrasting sectors of the Lunar station, from abandoned malls to deteriorating Living Quarters.
  • IMMERSE: Full Body Awareness, Deadzone Aiming & minimal UI help create a gripping and atmospheric experience.
  • UPGRADE: Discover modules that unlock new functionality for the Cosmonaut Assistance Tool (C.A.T.)
  • SURVIVE: Run, hide, or attempt to defend yourself using the C.A.T. as a last resort.

SlamDunk

Arcane
https://lunar-software.squarespace.com/home/message-about-our-hiatus

Lunar Software said:
MESSAGE ABOUT OUR HIATUS

Hey,

We’re Aaron, Jemma, and Pete – also known as Lunar Software

It’s been a while since we talked about Routine, and we’d like to discuss that a bit today.

In short, we’ve essentially restarted production of the game. What we’re sharing here today is in-game footage of Routine. So why did we make the tough decision to start over?

As we were approaching what we believed to be the end of development, we were finding more and more things that we weren't happy with that negatively impacted the experience. We had worked on the project for 5 years at that point and simply couldn’t release it as it was.

We were surviving on an extremely tight budget. The financial stress began taking a toll on us, especially as we realised we needed to work on things for longer. Routine at this point became a part-time project as we had to work on other jobs/projects to stay afloat.We went from having a release date, to not even knowing when we might be able to release. It was a massive strain on us as we had let ourselves, our friends & family, as well as all of our supporters & fans down.

We struggled and didn’t know how to deal with that or how to fix it. At the time we just wanted to say sorry. But didn’t know how we could even begin to do that without giving some sort of development time window. We weren’t expecting it to take as long as it did – and for those of you who have been waiting patiently, we’re truly sorry.

It took us a while to figure out how to finish the project and deliver it as the experience we intended, but when a line of communication opened with Raw Fury, we knew we had found a partner who would be able to support us in all the areas we previously struggled with.

To everybody who has waited both long and short, we want to say thank you for all of the love, support & patience. We're excited to be back and working with Raw Fury, so we can finally bring Routine to you.

While we won’t be repeating the mistake of sharing a release date until we’re entirely confident we can hit it, we didn’t want to keep you waiting any longer and felt that it was time to share what we’ve been working on.

We can’t wait to hear what you think.

-Lunar Software

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I followed this project a lot of years ago. Wish them the best of luck.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Pity they didn't drop the hide and seek bullshit.

Fucking Amnesia ruined the horror genre. Another gaming sin to lay at the hands of Swedes.

lightbane

Arcane
That's dedication to continue for so long. Shame Barkley 2 didn't have such devs. Also:

[...] at this point became a part-time project as we had to work on other jobs/projects to stay afloat.We went from having a release date, to not even knowing when we might be able to release. It was a massive strain on us as we had let ourselves, our friends & family, as well as all of our supporters & fans down.

I guess you could said that working on that game became a...

Routine. *yeah*

Still no release date though.

Latelistener

Arcane
https://lunar-software.squarespace.com/home/message-about-our-hiatus

Lunar Software said:
MESSAGE ABOUT OUR HIATUS

Hey,

We’re Aaron, Jemma, and Pete – also known as Lunar Software

It’s been a while since we talked about Routine, and we’d like to discuss that a bit today.
Seems like a severely sweetened up version of what actually happened. But then again, those posts had no proofs.

I guess Raw Fury deal was too good to ignore and someone had to put his shit together. In any case, I'm just glad it's happening.

They waited way too long. Even if it ever comes out, which it probably won't with their track record, games like Callisto Protocol will overshadow it easily. They blew it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom