Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rome Total War II

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by oscar, Jul 2, 2012.

1. oscar Tacticular Staff

oscar
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-02-total-war-rome-2-preview-turning-it-up-to-xi

[​IMG]

Hmm, just looks like the old Rome with a grimier filter. Shogun 2 was definite incline so perhaps this will be good.

^ Top  
  2. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Parrots:
    Rise of the Piss Filter.

^ Top  
  3. Spectacle Arcane

Spectacle
    Parrots:
    :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ulminati Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  6. curry Arcane

curry
    Parrots:
    I hope that's not an actual screenshot

^ Top  
  7. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    As if CA ever shows any of those this early. It's engine, minus UI, posed and with added photoshop.

Anyway, liking the descriptions of cities, tech trees and the political dog eat dog thing with the Roman Republic. Disliking the mention of streamlining and the implied notion that many factions will not be playable. I had given up on CA but after the relative incline of Shogun 2 I'm willing to be interested in this one again. And hey, let's hope that this time they have not lost their AI programmers like they did after Shogun 1.

Wonder if they'll make a return to the worldmap influence on the battlemapmap of yore. Seeing towns, harbours, fleets and even smoking vulcanoes that were off the map during a battle but still visible in other distant worldmap cells was awesome. Rome without that will just not be the same.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Parrots:
    Shame, I was hoping for a new setting. Optimistic about this I am.

^ Top  
  9. Merkwürdigliebe Arcane

Merkwürdigliebe
    Parrots:

Empires map was technically covering a huge area of land, but had a ridiculously few provinces. Pretty much every TW game vanilla has been the same. This will most likely be the same.

Functioning diplomacy and politics in a total war game. I'll believe it when I see it.

Modding support? I've heard that one before, won't happen.

In before a extremely poor unit selection and a dozen unit and faction DLCs.

^ Top  
  10. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Parrots:
    Just before brutal bugs.

Considering theirs AI wasn't able to cope with cannons, but performed fine with melee weapons and bows, it might be survivable.

^ Top  
  11. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    In the RPS interview the dev states that they'll have provinces that are divided into smaller regions to conquer. Reminds me of the system they used in EU: Rome. He also states that most provinces are made up of three to four regions and that there will be hundreds of regions. What I like is that he mentions we won't need to fight siege battles to conquer each region. That nearly killed a lot of the expanded 'realism' mods for Rome for me. We'll see though.

It does sound like an ambitious new direction for the series. Knowing CA that means almost guaranteed bugs and a good chance of spectacular failure with a slim chance of this (or the next game) being awesome. Should be entertaining no matter what.

^ Top  
  12. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    Parrots:
    I don't get it.

^ Top  
  13. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Parrots:
    Centurions are the commanders of the roman army, not the motherfucking troops.

^ Top  
  14. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Parrots:
    You're a bit slow, aren't you Dicksmoker?

^ Top  
  15. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    Parrots:
    Well that just shows how epic these new battles are going to be.

^ Top  
  16. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    First screens are usually bullshit, but it would be really nice if they returned to cities actually existing during sieges.

^ Top  
  17. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron Developer

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    A centurion is a commander of a body of about 100 soldiers. Thousands of centurions would mean at least two thousand centurions, which would mean at least two thousand times one hundred.

200,000 soldiers per faction on the battlefield is a little bit of a stretch, even for a Total War game (or even for reality, for that matter, especially when we're speaking of transporting them on ships).

^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron Developer

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Also I wonder how liberal they will be with history this time. It's sure going to be entertaining. :lol:

^ Top  
  19. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Parrots:
    What do you mean by this statement? I recall during seiges having to go through these cluster of building residing within a wall to capture the chunk of land.

^ Top  
  20. spectre Arcane

spectre
    Parrots:
    I have a silly feeling that they're either going to do another "reimagining" which has a high chance of suckage, or once again put too much shit in so that it collapses under its weight.
    Still, I have my share of fun with Shogun 2, if they just stick to evolving the formula, it might be good. Just increasing faction variety would go a long way, but the real question is how the AI will handle the more complex map.

^ Top  
  21. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Parrots:
    Pink parthians! Britons with a foothold in europe! Fire pigs! Don't even get me started on fucking egypt. What substance was CA snorting when researching for R:TW?

^ Top  
  22. Malakal Arcane

Malakal
    Parrots:
    Hopefully they will include AI this time. Since TW games arent really made for MP its a must but somehow they dont even bother.

^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    He's not talking about RTW, but rather the more recent Total War titles.

^ Top  
  24. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Parrots:
    They're just spinning the hype machine as fast as they can right now, I bet they will promise better AI too but don't count on it.

^ Top  
  25. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Parrots:
    Oh, thanks for elaborating!

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)