Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen is predictable and far too similar to Gothic

sullynathan

Arcane
Been playing Risen, GOG says I have put 13 hours in it, just in two days. Risen has been alright so far but this will be a quick comment. It is very very close to Gothic but newer which makes it very repetitive. The combat the overall world design, quest structure, faction system is all the same as Gothic 1, even the weed quests are here. It's all so unimaginative because it just seems like Piranha bytes took their old game and pasted it in an island with some pirate motif, but the island could still be mistaken for Gothics prison colony, even down to the different factions of bandit group/less bandit group.

Stealth is still the exact same just based on characters seeing you or not and if you're in sneak mode, blacksmithing is still the exact same, some of the physics and animations are the same but even worse at times and combat is still almost the exact same as Gothic 2 but worse now. You don't have manual lock-on but a soft auto-lock on and it can be quite annoying to use. You're attacking an enemy but if you move the camera in a direction then the game stops targetting said enemy, which becomes a problem because if you dodge an enemy before the enemy attacks, or before the enemy reajusts its position or if you dodge too far, then you stop being locked on to said enemy and you will almost always miss hitting the enemy with your weapon.
Too much standing behind blocking, it felt almost exactly like I was playing Ocarina of Time, that game came out in 1998, Risen came out in 2009 and Piranha can barely do better.
AI is still dumb as hell and highly predictable. You can still aggro most enemies you encounter and then make them follow you to your overpowered partner early on or to a town where them get destroyed. My early partners AI pathfinding fucked up and he stopped taking me to town. Thanks man.

Being too much of the same makes Risen far too predictable for my liking. It was soon till I entered town and quickly learned and found myself doing petty tasks and at times fetch quests for individuals to gain favors with certain factions that occupy the same town for whatever reason. Gothic did make me prefer this though just due to each faction being very far apart and not occupying the same town. You already know which characters will try to pick a fight with you just due to their voice sounding like an asshole like Gothic. You don't really want to explore most of the outside world until you get armor because you did the exact same thing in Gothic, etc. etc. The game is far too safe for my liking making it feel like a retread of Gothic with new textures.

Fuck it, I will download Gothic 3. As much as I gave it shit due to being exhausted with the game after almost 70 hours of play that mostly was boring. It was far more ambitious, adventurous and open than Risen is. It was like the previous Gothic games but actually tried something new.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Gothic.
3 factions. Escape from prison.

Risen. 3 factions. Locked to one island.

ELEX. 3 factions. Escape from area you were shot, presumed dead and robbed of weapons and armor.

I assume there another similarities. But I don't remember Risen that well to get them from memory. (Most importantly I played only mage faction.)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
106.gif

Master

Arbiter
Factions dont occupy the same town afaik. Bandits in the swamp, Monastery in the mountains and the City Guard or whatever in the City?

Hevnknekt

Educated
Factions dont occupy the same town afaik. Bandits in the swamp, Monastery in the mountains and the City Guard or whatever in the City?

The Inquisition controls the city, but there's also bandits there. You either help the Inquisition expel the bandits, or help the bandits take control. If the bandits take control, then the Don moves there from the Swamp Camp.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Well, yeah. It's a Piranha Bytes game, this is how they are.

I'm 30 hours in and I like it quite a bit. Not a fan of how some of the enemies have ridiculously fast attack speeds or followup, but I'm maxxed out by now with what I think is the best gear in the entire game.
Strange how you get so much Wisdom points despite having zero use for it unless you joined inquisition though, from all the books and stone tablets I read I got over 100 Wisdom points and zero use for even 1 of them.

Risen was fairly similar to Gothic 1/2, but considering that there is no one else out there who does PB-style open world RPGs, the compaint seems weird. There are basically 4 good games in that style, Gothic 1, Gothic 2, Risen 1, and ELEX. Surely that's too few to drive you to complain?

sullynathan

Arcane
Play ELEX instead. You won't be disappointed.
I shitted on Elex but from the brief hour I put into it, it did feel more like a newer more fresh game than Risen did. Sadly my computer can't properly handle Elex before it blows up so I will wait for the future.

Falksi

Arcane
It's not to everyone's taste, but personally I think Risen 2 is fucking brilliant and a significant detachment frome the other PB games.

It's swordplay is shit, voodoo is clunky, and the game as s whole has that low budget PB feel. But the humour & voice acting is fucking brilliant, the story serviceable, the world fairly fun to explore, and is oozes a lush atmosphere that was right up my street.

It definitely contains some of the best banter & dialogue in any modern RPG, no mistake.

Give it a whirl, I fucking loved it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Finished up Risen. Good game, chapter 4 was a bit of a collectathon where I just sliced through everything with a 90 damage sword though.
Got a bit boring at that point but the world was really great, there were some good quests and characters and I liked the combat. Total play time was 32 hours, going by the Steam counter. Ending was disappointing but I don't really know of any PB games that have had a good one.
:4/5:

steel legion

Novice
Well you right. Well i like Piranha Bytes games, they tend to all have some similarities to each other. Since they basically just make Gothic but in a different setting, with small differences here and there.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Yes, it is, but I still loved playing it... 3 times over.

The magic of PB worked on me up until Risen. Since then, I've only bought their games at the sub 10€ price point. Still waiting for ELEX to hit it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I liked Gothic, Gothic 2 and Elex.
Risen was boring to me. It's the same damn game and I wasn't ready to play the same game again when it came out. When I tried again it was just too jank.

I quit when they asked me to harvest crops. I did that in Gothic. And Gothic 2. I am done harvesting crops, forever, TY.

Elex

Arbiter
Risen was fairly similar to Gothic 1/2, but considering that there is no one else out there who does PB-style open world RPGs, the compaint seems weird. There are basically 4 good games in that style, Gothic 1, Gothic 2, Risen 1, and ELEX. Surely that's too few to drive you to complain?
gothic 3 and risen 2-3 are basically “let’s change something” but don’t worked.

the only good succesfull addition in 20 years is elex jetpack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom