Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here!
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen: Bandits? Order?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Don Peste, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Click here and disable ads!
    Hi. I've recently started Risen. I came across the gates of the city, and the monks took me down and forced me to join them. Now, will I be able to do the bandits quests? I haven't even entered their camp yet. Am I going to lose all of their quests?
    thanks

PS: Nice game. Any other similar titles?
    ^ Top  
  2. LordDenton Learned

LordDenton
    You are not screwed, unless you pledge alliance with the inquisition. Find the Don contact in the city and start doing quests for him.

Gothic 1, 2, and 3.
    ^ Top  
  3. Satori Prophet

Satori
    If you voluntarily join the Order (by not getting captured by them but by working for them in the city) you can become a mage and it is the only way of becoming one. It's actually somewhat interesting depending on your personal ethics, as both sides aren't exactly what they appear to be at first glance. Additionally I found the mage quest line to be the most entertaining option.
    ^ Top  
  4. eric_s Developer

eric_s
    No, this is wrong. The second the monks beat you and force you to join the Order, you're in and that's that. I don't know whether you can do the bandit quests (you probably can't) but you definitely can't join them. This happened to me the first time I played and I thought that I could escape the monastery and join the bandits, but it turns out you can't.
    ^ Top  
  5. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    ^ That is correct. You can probably do some quests in the bandits camp but not the ones that actually allow you to join them. Might seem annoying but the game -- through the story -- affirmatively warns you that anyone caught by the Inquisition is forced into joining them.

As far as differences down the road: only the tail end of the first chapter plays out in unique variants. After that the game is basically the same/linear with only minor differences.
    ^ Top  
  6. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Scheiße... I guess I should restart.
    thanks

So, similar games? I know of:

Gothic - Arcania
    Two Worlds :(
    Interpally
    Bethesda
    Bioware
    Avellone
    Troika
    ^ Top  
  7. Satori Prophet

Satori
    Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga.
    ^ Top  
  8. JarlFrank Великий князь Patron

JarlFrank
    LOL NO

Arcania is the worst game ever. Check out Darth Roxor's review here on the Codex and you'll see why. It's shit, avoid it.

Gothic 1, 2 and 3 are your best bets. Also try Arx Fatalis, you'll probably enjoy it if you like Gothic.
    ^ Top  
  9. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    I know. Anyway, I might try Arcania someday, with the proper patches.

Right know, let's try Divinity 2 and Gothic. I remember playing Gothic demo back in the day. I hope it aged well.

And I've got Arx Fatalis. Great one.
    ^ Top  
  10. LordDenton Learned

LordDenton
    You are right. I was thinking of Harbor Town, and forgot that you are actually sent to the monastery if captured. :oops:
    ^ Top  
  11. LordDenton Learned

LordDenton
    No amount of patching can fix Arcania. Arcania is not even close to pre-patch Gothic 3. While the good gameplay in Gothic 3 was hampered by bugs, the gameplay in Arcania is actually horrible.

So unless by patching you mean recreate the entire game from scratch (not exactly worth the effort), it's a good idea to simply forget about it.
    ^ Top  
  12. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Arcania is beyond redemption. I played it for about ten hours before I just couldn't stand the horrible writing, quests, characters, etc. It's bad. As in... lazy bad. As in... you could probably round up five random people on the street and they would produce more compelling characters and quests.

Go play Gothic 1, it holds up very well if you aren't a graphics whore.
    ^ Top  
  13. sser Arcane

sser
    As stated, when you're caught you're in. And that's it. Now, the monks have one interesting quest, but I think mage combat is lacking in the game. Melee was pretty interesting for me, personally. I sucked at it, thus it provided a pretty solid challenge.
    ^ Top  
  14. Malpercio Learned

Malpercio
    I can't even image playing Risen with a mage, and this comes from someone who ALWAYS play as a mage. You miss half of the fun in Risen.
    Excidium Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  15. latexmonkeys Educated

latexmonkeys

Don't mistake the criticisms of Arcania for the usual Codex hyperbole, it really is that bad. On the other hand the early Gothics are must plays so have fun!
    ^ Top  
  16. Nim Scholar

Nim
    How the fuck could you miss all the warnings ? Literally any NPC you meet in the beginning tells you what happens if the inquisition gets you. Anyway, next time go do the bandit quest as far as possible without joining and then go become a mage. The few bandit quests you miss aren't any special compared to the monastery ones imo.
    ^ Top  
  17. Satori Prophet

Satori
    I agree however just make a save before joining the Order; the Chapter 1 mage quest line is a lot of fun with some nice C&C.
    ^ Top  
  18. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Actually if you really feel like punishing yourself with Arcania, play Arcania: Fall of Setarrif instead. All the derp of Arcania condensed into a bite sized 10 hour package.
    ^ Top  
  19. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Playing as a frost-magic-using battlemage is the best because it makes the moles quicker to pop and there are so many in chapters 3 and 4.
    ^ Top  
  20. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Risen is worth playing twice with both branches, until you get to Chapter 3(?). Then it's kind of crap. Same with the three Gothics, really.

There is really no justification for playing Arcania before you have sucked all the fun out of the above games. And just about anything else that is remotely fun in the universe.
    ^ Top  
  21. Malpercio Learned

Malpercio
    I dunno, i thought Risen Battle System was actually fun, so it's kinda a waste to play a mage. I do agree that there were too many filler mobs in Chapter 3 and 4, though.
    ^ Top  
  22. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Thanks everybody, I knew I could count on you.

Playing Gothic (GoG) right now. Looks OK. Divinity II... disappointing...
    ^ Top  
  23. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Lots of people on Codex recommended Divinity II but I just can't get past the Gamebryo engine. Really terrible for ARPGs.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)