Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Kraszu

Prophet
G3 was boring, G1/2 weren't. That should settle this without any further dissection. I hardly managed to make myself to the end and rushed as fuck in final parts. The most dissappointing thing was that ALL npcs were oblivion like. Bland. They even managed to ruin old friends of TNO. Xardas anyone? :roll: And king Rhobar? How can you make one of the central and most talked about legendary people of the series so underwhelming? I didn't believe it was Piranha that made this crapola. For a hiking game it's good, but then so are Elder Scrolls games.

I had finished G3 at least 4 times.

For a hiking game it's good, but then so are Elder Scrolls games.

Games like oblivion suck because of level scaling, and because gameplay is just following the arrow in G3 you actually have to plan on what you want to do, and in what order. (at least when you play with cp, and with alternative ai so you can't just complete all quests from start)

Doktor Best

Arcane
The Quests are simplified
Not really, when you get down to it, quests in G2 and G1 could be broken down to fetch, kill and talk. They just had more intermediate steps.
it lacks an overarching storyline
Um, Orcs won, join them or kill them is bretty overarching in my opinion.
the faction system is a major stepback
How so, you could work for multiple factions, but advancing too much in one, meant alienating its opposite, and I believe, turning them hostile. And each faction naturally has different objectives for Myrtana and the other joints. And like in the previous two games, you had to advance in reputation if your wanted their good armor and all. And quests could be resolved in favour of different factions, so how is it a step back?
the gameworld is alright but certainly doesnt feel as lively and well crafted as in the first two games
I'll agree in so far as the chest system sucks. Lively, well, could you explain that? Atmosphere was not as great as G1, or G2, but then its vastly bigger than either game.
and most of all the combat system is a big fucking failure even with the community patch. You just swing at a ridicously slow time and hope to stunlock your enemy so he cant retaliate and simply dies. Fast enemies will break the stunlock and buttfuck you in seconds while slower enemies are game even as lowlevel dude without decent equipment. The levelscaling is also a big pile of shit as a fight against a wolf is the same fucking thing on level 1 as on level 12.
Combat sucks, sure. But level-scaling? My experience with the game tells me gear seems to matter more than stats. The difference in fighting wolves with a regular two-hander and with Krush Varrok was pretty noticeable. Also seriously, polearms vs. animals is the way to go.
So no sir, there is no way gothic 3 comes even close to Risen1-3 or Gothic 1 and 2. Its simply the worst piranha bytes game. Its even significantly worse than Risen2 which had also shit combat but atleast doesnt have levelscaling and a trashy story with some decent quests and atmosphere.
Seriously, Risen 2 was worse.
[/QUOTE]

1)Yes ofcourse you could break down the quests to these 3 types but they way they were implented in the gameworld and how they were interconnected was really good. and also they were used to inform you about the gameworld/social systems or to show you around. Gothic 1/2 was simple quests done right, in gothic 3 they stand more on their own and they fail a bit to tell you interesting stories. Maybe its also because the gameworld itself is less interesting.

2) You had one quest, find xardas. Thats it. Each towns had their story arch but those were isolated from eachother.

3)the rebels just didnt feel like a real living society for me. their underground base was just visually boring compared to swamp camp or the bandits farm for example.

4)lively as in every squaremeter in gothic1/2 told you a story and every squaremeter stood on its own. Everywhere was something you could explore. In gothic 3 there is more empty space or copypasted enemies without a proper design choice standing behind them.

5)yes gothic 3 has levelscaling. also your powerlevel was increasing on a much faster rate in gothic 1/2 than in gothic3. This means the improvement you gain with each level is not really significant and almost outpaced by the levelscaling. cant speak for 2handers but with 1handers a wolf took almost as much hits with level 12 as with level 1.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I completed both games on the hardest difficulty so no i dont think i should learn how to play gothic. Yes i know about the features of the alternative AI but still its a shit combat system because its clunky with its collision management and stunlocking enemies still works too good. Also the counterattack is random as fuck and fast hitting enemies will hit you like 3 times per second while you are being stunlocked and die.

So you had finished the game on hard by abusing mechanics, you can also open inventory, and drink potions during fight (obvious cheating) G3 is unpolished gem you have to take it account. It is isn't fully random since i was never counter attacked by attacking 1-3 times. So what if you can push your luck to win by button mashing? Why would you do that? Clearly counter attack was made to give you reason to not button mash so don't.

You can also break the game by shooting orcs from a place that they can't get too, obviously using such abuses breaks the game.

Theres no way to predict it as counterattacks are triggered by enemies taking damage mixed with a random factor, so its not fun.

Sure there is, you are sure that your first attack will not be countered for a start (so your claim is factually not true already), there is no random factor if you don't allow for it by limiting the number of attacks to 1-3.

None of Pyranha Bytes other games have this shit, and all of the combat systems of those other games are therefor better.

Because a single thing that is easily fixable define all of combat.

The endeavours of the community to improve the game are commendable but sadly the system its based on is just too crappy to make it a decent combat system. Its like sprinkling chocolate bits on a piece of turd. Yes it does improve a bit but its still shit with sprinkled chocolate.

I can see how that might seem so, for somebody who is mentally challenged, and who will continue to button mash no matter how many times it had failed already.

I can see that youre butthurt about me not liking your favorite game, but that doesnt mean you have to be that shithead who accuses others of cheesing through such a simple game completely out of the blue. Its really not necessary to abuse game mechanics to get through gothic3.

And yes ofcourse i could attack 1-3 times and step out of enemy range, but i tell you what: thats fucking boring, and it takes ages with the enemy hp bloat.

You can easily bore yourself through gothic3 combat but again: why the fuck should i do that? Combat should be about engaging your enemy, reading his movements and weighing out taking risks and keeping your defense up, and ofcourse about reacting to changing combat situations. Gothic 3 has none of that. Its either borefest or unpredictable buttrapefest.

Also congratulations that youre mentally capable of counting to 3, that is surely a valid reason to feel superior to others who dare to criticize your genius idea of mashing a button 3 times, then wait, then bash those buttons 3 times again! What a strike of genius! How could i mere simple minded buttonmasher not have seen that!

Last edited:

Kraszu

Prophet
You can easily bore yourself through gothic3 combat but i am someone who wants to take risks because thats what combat should be about. So you either have boring combat or fucking unpredictable combat, nice choice mate.

Combat isn't about taking risks, it is about good planing, and execution, and limiting risk as much as you can. HP isn't bloated you just get stronger to kill multiple Orcs at once, and you kill easier targets first like in any Gothic.

Also congratulations that youre mentally capable of counting to 3, that is surely a valid reason to feel superior to others who dare to criticize your genius idea of mashing a button 3 times, then wait, then bash those buttons 3 times again!

Finding opportunity to attack isn't simply waiting.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I will be boring and say that maybe Gothic 3 is just a bit too different from the first two Gothics and the first Risen, which is why it is being met with mixed reactions here. Killer pigs aside, it certainly lacked that special something that the previous two games had and something that returned in the first Risen, at least for me. I think it might be the whole being stuck on an island and the general structure of the world, which was quite different in Gothic 3. I cannot thus say that it was a bad game; it just wasn't a Gothic I wanted.

bloodlover

Arcane
in G3 you actually have to plan on what you want to do, and in what order.

Yes but given that you got massively fucked if you killed too many orc or rebel camps, it's quite a no-brainer that you should do as many quests as possible before picking a side. Notice the "you should" in my sentence. It sadly states that unless you wanted to miss a lot of content and xp, you had to plan ahead what you want to do. This is where the game went downhill the most and introduced a somewhat forced and linear way of playing.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
It is definitely better than Risen 2, but somehow I just lost interest along the way. I think this will be the first Piranha Bytes RPG—aside from Gothic 3 which was really broken when I started playing it—that I will not finish. It is a really good-looking game too.

You should try community patch with alternative ai, and new difficulty settings, patched Gothic 3 is as good as other games in the series, maybe even the best one.

God no. Gothic 3 lacks almost everything that made Gothic 1+2 good.

The Quests are simplified
it lacks an overarching storyline
the faction system is a major stepback
the gameworld is alright but certainly doesnt feel as lively and well crafted as in the first two games
and most of all the combat system is a big fucking failure even with the community patch. You just swing at a ridicously slow time and hope to stunlock your enemy so he cant retaliate and simply dies. Fast enemies will break the stunlock and buttfuck you in seconds while slower enemies are game even as lowlevel dude without decent equipment. The levelscaling is also a big pile of shit as a fight against a wolf is the same fucking thing on level 1 as on level 12.

So no sir, there is no way gothic 3 comes even close to Risen1-3 or Gothic 1 and 2. Its simply the worst piranha bytes game. Its even significantly worse than Risen2 which had also shit combat but atleast doesnt have levelscaling and a trashy story with some decent quests and atmosphere.
You sir are a colossal idiot. If you think stunlock is still a thing, then clearly you haven't played with the community patch. Especially considering they removed level scaling. Good job talking about what you don't know.
:bravo:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Read the other posts shithead. Stunlock is still a thing, the alternative AI just adds some pauses to it. And when i played the Community Patch there was definitely levelscaling involved.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Read the other posts shithead. Stunlock is still a thing, the alternative AI just adds some pauses to it. And when i played the Community Patch there was definitely levelscaling involved.
It's not stunlock if it has pauses in it faggot. It works exactly like Gothic 1 and 2 monsters, if you swing like crazy you get punished, if you time your attacks and dodge, you win. The level scaling is in your head, there was damage and health scaling on human NPC's who all did the same damage regardless of what weapon they used etc.... but that was dealt with in the community patch. Animals didn't even scale with you in the unpatched game.

Kraszu

Prophet

Yes but given that you got massively fucked if you killed too many orc or rebel camps, it's quite a no-brainer that you should do as many quests as possible before picking a side. Notice the "you should" in my sentence. It sadly states that unless you wanted to miss a lot of content and xp, you had to plan ahead what you want to do. This is where the game went downhill the most and introduced a somewhat forced and linear way of playing.

Yes it isn't a game that requires some complex panning like space rangers 2, but it makes the game more interesting to me, also the way I play it I don't finish all quest at every play through if you play with the goal of finishing the game in mind it often makes sense to free a city in about mid game to get allot of weapons, and gold fast. It is only no brainier when you are mini maxing, now G3 like guild system with some progressive world like space rangers 2 would be a dream game for me. Then you would have to really make those choices because only time constrains make it a real choice. (other then choosing side)

I had finished G3 at least 4 times.
You're mad.
That's just your classic min-maxing. Do every quest for every faction, before you decide whom to join for good.

Yes it isn't complex but it still makes you think more about choices rather then just following the arrow, and on harder dificulty settings you do need to find a way to make game easier on yourself you can't just finish all quest from start, there are good reasons to go on a desert fast, and there are good reasons to stay in myrthana. So you still decide what is the the most effective for your char to do now unless you want to die to Orcs patrol 20 times before you manage to kill them once. Also on hard difficulty i had to often decide between letting quest NPC die, or replaying over, and over if you min max then the choice is obvious but it is much more fun to just deal with the consequences. When I was in Vangard I had pretty epic, and difficult battle there, and couple of quest NPC had died during it, now I could hunt some goblins, and wolfs in the forest, and do fetch quests for hours and go back there stronger but it was much more fun to not grind, and do only quest that i had found interesting (and just a few to get to 75% rep), and if you think in terms of time invested vs how much you had progressed it made sense for me to let those NPC die. Damn all this talking about how great Gothic 3 makes me want to play it again.

I did finish the game 3-4 times but i don't do all quest every time, I play in more goal oriented way.

Last edited:

Kraszu

Prophet
I will be boring and say that maybe Gothic 3 is just a bit too different from the first two Gothics and the first Risen, which is why it is being met with mixed reactions here. Killer pigs aside, it certainly lacked that special something that the previous two games had and something that returned in the first Risen, at least for me. I think it might be the whole being stuck on an island and the general structure of the world, which was quite different in Gothic 3. I cannot thus say that it was a bad game; it just wasn't a Gothic I wanted.

Yeah no disagreement there. It feels a little different but there is enough similarity for me to make it feel like a Gothic game to me. It is a preference if you like the new added elements or at least don't mind/find them worth the trade off for a bigger world with more options then it will feel like a Gothic game to you, if you dislike those changes then they will not let you enjoy it, and kill all the feels that you get from similarity with other Gothic games.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This thread is now officially a "Gothic 3" thread. Funny how, despite all the hatred it got, and gets, most people don't find it as loathesome as Risen 3.

Personally, I've always been held back by the negative comments/reactions. I own two copies of it (both came in bundles I had gotten for other games), and never even installed one. I must admit some comments here are now making me curious (plus a friend of mine who really loved G3, for whatever reason).

throwaway

Cipher
I struggle to believe that the G3 defending in this thread is not a windup. And this is coming from someone who's finished the game 5 times two of them before the community patches were a thing. G3 is relatively rich in terms of quantities but the first two are really on another level of coherence.

Beastro

Arcane
The game is not very good, but such a low console user score may be influenced by Angry Joe (the most popular YouTube reviewer in the world, who hated the game) and his army of goon followers.

How the hell is that man popular???

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The game is not very good, but such a low console user score may be influenced by Angry Joe (the most popular YouTube reviewer in the world, who hated the game) and his army of goon followers.

How the hell is that man popular???

Being a console baby aside, he has been around for a long time and puts more effort into his videos than most people working in that scene. At the very least he is not just another guy with a facecam shouting like a complete idiot or spreading his vast expertise about playing games a la PDP and TB. Credit where it is due.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Yeah, instead he makes elaborate videos where he only shouts at the camera like a complete idiot.

He's a lot worse than TB or PDP because he actually think he does reviews.

Alfons

Prophet
Yeah, instead he makes elaborate videos where he only shouts at the camera like a complete idiot.

He's a lot worse than TB or PDP because he actually think he does reviews.
Bingo. The guy is an average forum consoletard and his opinion has just as much value. The thing that separates him from the rest of them is that a lot of people actually listen to his bullshit, something that makes him even worse than his forum dwelling counterparts.

Kraszu

Prophet
I did play Risen3, and at first it didn't seem that bad, but the combat start to feel very repetitive, and boring very fast, i fight in the same way against every opponent that i had meet so far, plus the companion system is simply cheating since you not only have immortal companion, but you also can make yourself immortal by rolling around. What where they thinking, they could make you able to restore life to your NPC char, or get out of coma (whatever you want to call it, and explain it) that would make much more sense, and wouldn't break the game. Not that the game is good when you go alone the combat is too dull then as well.

Had anybody played ith 1.20 patch, and ultra difficulty does it improve the game?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom