Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 beta ?? Initial impressions (nothing real guys, Nda)

gromit

Arcane
I read in the other thread that a NPC warns you about the spider so Rossignol is in fact being a bad player here and he deserved his death.
To be fair, it's pretty hard to take warnings in a video-game seriously anymore. Nine times out of ten, "stay away from ye olde cave, there's an uberfoozle only the strongest and bravest can face" means "go kill this thing now, and when you get back there'll be a rimjob waiting for you."

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I really don't see why 'trial and error' is bad design, anyway. Not as if games have any penalties for dying.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, G1/2's penalty was having to wait 1-3 minutes for the game to load. Really motivated me to be careful.
As to not knowing what enemies you can/not take: Usually in PB games you can hardly beat anything in the beginning. Later: the bigger and meaner an enemy looks the more dangerous it is. Quite simple, really.

Kraszu

Prophet
No, you can see a monster before it can see you vast majority of times anyway. If the distinction between less dangerous areas, and dangerous ones would be so obvious then some of the suspense would be lost. I had died only few times because I didn't know how strong the monster is. I don't see why that is a big deal for some.
All right you can see it, but how do you know if you can take it or not? If there's absolutely no way of knowing until you've been one-shotted, that's no good (because then knowing to stay away from a certain area requires meta-knowledge rather than in-game knowledge). Though I read in the other thread that a NPC warns you about the spider so Rossignol is in fact being a bad player here and he deserved his death.

You can usually tell by its appearance, I was never surprised by how strong enemy was in Risen, and only few times in Gothic. Instead of marked difficult areas you could buy (cheaply), be given or find bestiaries, not necessary with exact stats, but with some descriptions.

msxyz

Augur
I really don't see why 'trial and error' is bad design, anyway. Not as if games have any penalties for dying.
You forget you have to reload! Don't underestimate how lazy 'modern gamers' are (or the developers think they are).

About this whole 'trial and error' thing, I've a little anecdote. I'm now playing Uncharted on the PSVita and I was surprised how cheesy it is compared to, say, the first Tomb Raider from Core 15 years ago. Despite the concept should be similar, it's almost impossible to fall off a ledge and the jump points are all easily noticeable. There is almost no risk of having to reload from a miscalculated jump or because you though you were in the correct spot for trying some stunt.

Stauff

Liturgist
Hello Platon!

the beta of Risen 2: Dark Waters comes to an end very soon and we want to thank all of you for your participation.

Now we want to know, how did you like the beta and did you spot any problems? We’ve prepared a feedback questionnaire for you to complete. We look forward to your feedback!
Please complete this form before March 12th 2012.

Here is the questionnaire:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Risen2_Beta_EN

* 1. How long did you play the beta?
How long did you play the beta? Hours:10

* 2. How would you rate the playable area? - Moderate

* 3. How would you rate the current state of the graphics? - Good

4. What do you think about the quality of the the quest given in the playable area? - Satisfying

* 6. What do you think is the technical level of the game? - Good

* 9. How do you rate the overall quality of Risen 2? - Moderate

* 10. How do you rate the "Piranha Bytes" style in Risen 2? (Nice one!) - Low

* 11. Will you recommend Risen 2? Unfortunately Yes :)

12 . What other Piranha Bytes games have you already played? All of them

And the concludes the BETA. Amen to it..

gromit

Arcane
I'm now playing Uncharted on the PSVita and I was surprised how cheesy it is compared to, say, the first Tomb Raider from Core 15 years ago. Despite the concept should be similar, it's almost impossible to fall off a ledge and the jump points are all easily noticeable. There is almost no risk of having to reload from a miscalculated jump or because you though you were in the correct spot for trying some stunt.
Is it wrong of me to think that's not such a bad thing on a portable? I mean, who wants to spend their bus ride / stolen moment / poop / etc dying?

msxyz

Augur
I'm now playing Uncharted on the PSVita and I was surprised how cheesy it is compared to, say, the first Tomb Raider from Core 15 years ago. Despite the concept should be similar, it's almost impossible to fall off a ledge and the jump points are all easily noticeable. There is almost no risk of having to reload from a miscalculated jump or because you though you were in the correct spot for trying some stunt.
Is it wrong of me to think that's not such a bad thing on a portable? I mean, who wants to spend their bus ride / stolen moment / poop / etc dying?
Well, I don't think Super Mario for the Gameboy was noticeably easier than SM for the NES. The same reasoning could be applied to RPGs... who wants to die just because you wandered into an accessible area populated by high level enemies with your level 1 character? I think excising some measure of caution, thinking about the consequences of actions was part of videogaming (and gaming in general). Take it off and you're not loosing part of the fun/challenge but also an important pedagogical value/lesson of life.

gromit

Arcane
Well, I don't think Super Mario for the Gameboy was noticeably easier than SM for the NES. The same reasoning could be applied to RPGs... who wants to die just because you wandered into an accessible area populated by high level enemies with your level 1 character? I think excising some measure of caution, thinking about the consequences of actions was part of videogaming (and gaming in general). Take it off and you're not loosing part of the fun/challenge but also an important pedagogical value/lesson of life.
But a Mario-style platformer is already cut into neat bite-sized chunks, and everyone that plays an RPG with unscaled enemies probably wants to die (preferably with a warning, first.) I guess I should clarify: I hate the Uncharted stuff, big set-pieces all waiting to fire their scripting, etc... but I'd hate it even more if I had to go through a strongly-plotted sequence with minimal inputs over and over in any situation where I'm not sitting down specifically to camp out and play a game. I'm envisioning it as: Die -> go through "gee golly whiz" sequence you just played (watched) again -> get to part you just died -> whoops, you're at your stop / bathroom is available / the five minutes you were trying to kill are now up / etc etc.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Since Jaesun hasn't apparently said anything here, for the record: A. B.

made

Arcane
Since Jaesun hasn't apparently said anything here, for the record: A. B.
What, are you the new gay deputy or something? Codex has always encouraged piracy. Besides, it's not even piracy in this case because the beta is free anyway. For the record.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
What, are you the new gay deputy or something?
13406.jpg

Codex has always encouraged piracy.

Yeah, except when it doesn't.

Besides, it's not even piracy in this case because the beta is free anyway. For the record.

As if I'm the one retardoing posts. :roll:

made

Arcane
Codex has always encouraged piracy.

Nope. In fact it's one of the very few things the administration heavily frowns upon and has always done so. Don't be a jackass.
The administration "frowns" upon links to cracks and warez that could directly endanger the site's existence. Simply bringing it up for discussion, no matter how favorably, has always been fair game, except when a mod goes on one of his internet power trips.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Okay, now that I played the Beta for 30 min, I actually got exactly what I expected - that is a typical PB game with all it's strenghts and shortcomings.

It's structure and feel is basically almost unchanged from Gothic 2. Graphics are mostly nice (some shadow flickering, framerate could be better), music is nice, dialogue is funny and sometimes crude, animations are horrid, landscapes are beautiful, blabla, the usual shit. Refreshing to play a PB game after that long time, I got my ass kicked when I tried to steal something. World is very reactive, and nothing's for free. There's tons of dialogue options (well, compared to Mass Effect and DA), characters are just superficial and functional at most. That's okay I guess. Combat is above average difficult, and it plays very well with a 360 pad too. UI is a major improvement over G2/G3 (again, never bothered with Risen 1).

So, from what I can tell in that short time, it definitely is a 100% PB game. If you can live with shitty characters (dialogue, animations) but do care a lot about freedom and a reactive world, this game is for you. If you are a spoiled Mass Effect brat, expect to be disappointed.

I could upload a couple of screenshots too if that's allowed. I mean I didn't remember signing a NDA somewhere...

:troll:

Kraszu

Prophet
Okay, now that I played the Beta for 30 min, I actually got exactly what I expected - that is a typical PB game with all it's strenghts and shortcomings.

Dumbfuck confirmed.

UI is a major improvement over G2/G3 (again, never bothered with Risen 1).

What was wrong with G3 UI? Risen 2 UI sucks very little info on each screen, you can see like 10 items at once in inventory. I can live with mediocre UI, but how is R2 better then G3?

So, from what I can tell in that short time, it definitely is a 100% PB game.

It definitely isn't.

Kraszu

Prophet
It definitely isn't.
How profound. Care to elaborate dumbfuck?

The combat is disappointing, there is no way to dodge, and going back or to sides don't work against normal attack it works only when boar is charging, and that is it, so all that is left is spamming attack. Fighting against humans is better but not much better as hitting the enemy doesn't stop them from attacking.

Also you have to hold block to strafe otherwise you run in left or right, and when you hold a block strafing is so slow that you couldn't avoid any attack.

You can just spam healing potions, there is no animation or cool down.

Lack of normal WSAD+mouse controls presented in all previous PB games.

Simplified teachers system, all you need is goal so the only choice it seems will be what talents you will have faster, you are no longer as limited by XP as in previous games.

Stupid, and annoying QTE.

Stauff

Liturgist

It's structure and feel is basically almost unchanged from Gothic 2.

That's absolutely not true to life. Gothic 2 is huge, open world with large territories while Risen 2 is a collection of small severely walled-up islands.. Just look at starting location, most of it is _painted background_. This is very moronic.

music is nice, dialogue is funny and sometimes crude, animations are horrid

Music is just pieces of Risen music + G3 music, just listen to it closely. Stupid morons can't even do music anymore.

I got my ass kicked when I tried to steal something.

Sigh.. You're a target audience for Bethesda..

But that's just pieces of huge picture. I repeat myself - Risen 2 is not even trying to take itself seriously - it's a roller coaster children fun that's proud of saying fuck word. The animations are just an addition to horrible dialogs that are spit by non-living walking stereotypes. This is NOT how things were in G2.

And yet.. sigh I will play this one. Just of sheer respect for PB, but it might be very last their game I'll ever play.

P.S. Climbing is now of course an old technology which can break things up and spoil fun for children otherwise how can one of the most important and purely "fun" things be thrown off into trash? Also why doesn't your RPG feeling scream when you see looting chest as a "pause" screen. This is NOT I repeat NOT how immersive games are done. Looting a chest should be dangerous that's part of fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom