Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 beta ?? Initial impressions (nothing real guys, Nda)

Stauff

Liturgist
Actually I am trying to create a fair and more or less detailed report so bare with me. This might take another day. If you really have a very special question like is it true that nameless hero and Patty are having sex in the first 5 minutes of gameplay under collapsing sky and world, I can try to answer without breaking Nda of course!

Murk

Arcane
I won't argue against that, but the point of omnipotence is a nice achievement -- that moment where you have your primary stat maxed, can start using your perma-stat boost items and equip awesome end game gear. It's just nice -- that feeling of "I win!".

Ironically, the constant melee challenge can be fun too -- for that reason I suggest increasing weapon skill instead of strength and using weaker weapons with more abilities than stronger weapons with no abilities. I'd also be stoked for a challenge beef-up mod that equips enemies with better gear. There's no reason Brogar should have a thorned mace instead of a bastard sword of some kind.

In g2 this was far more ridiculous -- the giant boost of stat potions, tablets, apples, and all that junk combines into a ridiculous 2-hit kill machine and, if you're an archer, you just laugh as the hordes of orc warlords all die in 3 arrows from so far off that they don't even aggro on you.

The last boss though... oh God... why, PB, why?!?!?

I am sympathetic to this plight -- but I prefer this over something like the undead dragon of g2. End game boss's shouldn't be just whacked or demon-spawned to death.

I also think it would be rather ridiculous if a fire-mage blasted a fire-titan to death using fire-balls. If you want a unique-to-class method of killing the end boss, I agree, but otherwise I'd take the jumping zelda-3 version over the G2 version.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fair enough. Just disappointed after all these years and all these attempts PB has yet to develop a decently balanced boss fight.

adure

Liturgist
it makes no sense supporting PB.
the people that created the magic in Gothic 1 ,2/addon arent working at PB anymore or/and dont have the power to decide whats good and whats crap.

Stauff

Liturgist
What's troubling me however is that when I looked at credits of risen 2 the PB team itself was just one screen and then there comes endless screens of marketing guys and others, but what's even more alarming tons of outsourcing entries.. Sure PB is small company but outsourcing stuff to likes of trine games (forsaken gods) is also a way all down to hell. May be those outsource cases are justified and all that but I don't remember them in g2/3

Ps from production values (attention payed to monster design, world, buildings, graphics, vegetation, etc) and quality of details (fire, snow, pools, water, props, decoration of buildings) g3 still IMHO remains top dog even with all those bugs..,

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The PB team itself remained very small, indeed. There's about 100 people working on Risen 2 though, much of it is outsourcing work. Not an inherently bad thing as long as it is done well. Also, the console versions are also outsourced, PB only makes the PC version.

Still kinda crazy how many people nowadays are involved making a game and how many it was 10 years ago. This whole thing is gonna crash one day down anyway...

MCA
So which is worse and why: last chapter of G1, G2 or R1? I haven't played Risen, btw and hated how G1 turned out. It felt like they ran out of ideas or development time.

Shannow

Waster of Time
G1>G2>R1
I slightly preferred G1/2 end-dungeons to R1. Liked G1's end-boss the most. Despised R1's zelda-shit. End-bosses should adhere to the same rules as everything else you encountered throughout the game. R1 also fucks up royally by giving me the best equipment just before the end-fight, only for that equipment to be completely useless.
But they're all decent, though. I never understood the claims to last chapters being shit. *shrug*

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
G1>G2>R1
I slightly preferred G1/2 end-dungeons to R1. Liked G1's end-boss the most. Despised R1's zelda-shit. End-bosses should adhere to the same rules as everything else you encountered throughout the game. R1 also fucks up royally by giving me the best equipment just before the end-fight, only for that equipment to be completely useless.
But they're all decent, though. I never understood the claims to last chapters being shit. *shrug*

Haven't played risen btw.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And it isn't in G1? I recall pushing swords into holes (how phallic), running away from demons and pushing buttons, while you couldn't damage the boss at all.

Tigranes

Arcane
They all had shitty endgames, IMO. Every PB game is fantastic until it gets to Kill X Thingies.

adure

Liturgist
Adure, so can you tell us at least a bit about those people. Although I do love PB I mostly remember Kai's departure as epic fail.
well i dont want to spell out names, but only one dude was the cancer that killed PB.
all this new age shit like quest markers and kill 15 of this crap quests.

i saw him a lot of time at the World of Gothic board, arguing with the players when they asked "wtf happend with PB!"
that guy killed PB by pulling them to the international market,and turning pb games into the same crap the other big fishes selling.

just look at this quantum leap from the risen setting to this pirates of caribbean thing.
whers the logik in this?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
For those that haven't played it (spoilers, I guess):

As far as the endings, I think G1 was probably the best. Yes, it was a bit of a gimmick but the last dungeon in G1 didn't feel as tedious as the last one in G2.

Stauff

Liturgist
** I am updating top post as well **

Ok I more or less finished "beta". Some guys hinted that I will receive a notification with the survey or email address to post my "beta" experience.. No way.. The end is abrupt and outright stupid going over some invisible border you see "END" message and screen fades. Sure I haven't yet tried all the combinations and I am pretty much worried I won't be able to checkout infamous parrot/monkey stuff not speaking about vodoo stuff. Anyway tomorrow will be a man's day in Russia (ho-ho-ho) so after receiving tons of tributes to my manliness I will try to outline my impressions in a codex-approven way..

Anyway just not to leave you all without nothing, adding some points.

1. The game actually manage to grow out of its really short and ugly pants sometimes, there was even a couple of times when I said - this is done good!

2. Companions stuff is not only fun developers of PB - it's a toil, sometimes nuisance, but anyway typically companions should be something you should at least care just a bit. Right now companions are fun and that's all about them.

3. The game is ALL about exploits. Think of anything like Save/Load, terrain heights, monsters getting stuck, non-stop clicking, virtually anything in new Risen 2 can be exploited by "bad" players. Of course companions are the best and the most ugly exploit..

4. The game is VERY easy. I played on medium, died a couple of times. Having a companion reduced complexity to almost zero.

5. The climbing skill is off the board (this is info you already know). It's not completely off the board and that what makes it real "bad" thing. Do you remember that in G1/G2 more or less sentient monsters can also climb ledges! G1/G2 PB developers.. Think for yourself what happens with such thing in Risen 2...

6. "WTF" game pausing. Some actions can lead to game and world around you getting completely paused.. Though some I might tolerate given that they can be safely considered "instant" actions, some others are definitely an idea of sheer ignorance.

7. Significant cut-down of all the world around you.. Plants, food, animal trophies just almost anything is downright shrinked. Almost all food is now converted to generics.

8. "WTF" NPC's. Most of NPCs seem to lack even basic stuff we're accustomed to in G1/G2! After fighting some person and beating him up completely how healthy do you think he is after raising up? Obvious answer is not right.

9. Killing NPCs.. This is serious.. looks like you can't KILL any NPC with the exception of definite "enemies"

10. You can't loot beaten NPC!

I will continue tomorrow. But overall my view right now is as follows - according to VaultDweller G3 was a flawed gem (sorry if I am wrong and it was unpolished diamond :), Risen 2 is shaping up to be pretty polished and shiny tea pot. Yep might be not an ordinary tea pot, may be with a nice engraving, but just a typical tea pot...

Murk

Arcane
I am... confused. I do not know what to think. Ideally, we could use some more input that isn't so vague and confusing from some other sources.

Stauff

Liturgist
I am... confused. I do not know what to think. Ideally, we could use some more input that isn't so vague and confusing from some other sources.

I will try to cover some generic and important stuff tomorrow like Stats/Combat/Leveling up.. If you have any specific question just ask. As for additional sources.. I guess www.worldofrisen.de although typical posting on "beta" there are something like.. I can't tell you anything guys but IT'S GOOOOOD..

Edit.. Found the only one more or less relevant comment in English section..
As short notice for those who are interested: I think the game (as far as I can tell from the demo) still feels like a PB game. Although you can recognise their old strengths, some of them have been shifted into the background and became less... tangible. Others are still there.

My rough estimation for the full game: It will probably be a good game and fun to play. But it won't be a milestone like Gothic 1/2, like something that will be used as a measurement for games to come even ten years from now. So, as always, it'll depend on your expectation whether or not you'll enjoy it.

Murk

Arcane
Well, fuck. Hopefully a demo will be out soon... hopefully... :(

sser

Arcane
Developer
Huge fan of Risen. A rarity in showing a character rising from 'rags to riches'; and another rarity in game design that didn't coddle players.

That said, I think Risen 2 looks more and more like a pretty big pile of shit. And that's kind of disappointing.

Malpercio

Arcane
Dawww man, and i started R1 in a rush because i wanted to be ready for 2!

Well, i still maintain hope. Neither Gothic or Risen are exactly what i'd call deep and Majestic rpg experiences. As long PB still maintains their ability to craft an interesting and living world i think i could still enjoy it. That, and hopefully the interface doesn't reek of console too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom