Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Reviews

imweasel

All of these "leaks" about Pillars of Eternity are seeming rather... suspicious.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian told them they could do it (read encouraged) if the tweets / comments were positive.

More likely the game is so good that they're willing to risk their jobs to tell us about it.
How many leaks are there? Doesn't seem like a lot of reviewers are willing to risk their jobs. ^^

I am happy to report that the PoE review copy has gone to our good friend Sensuki :bounce:
It will be interesting to watch Sensuki tear the game apart.

Will he be allowed to comment on the game before it is released?

Mazisky

Magister
I guess this is the first long comment about the full game i found on the net

Hello all!
smiley2.gif

I wanted to make this thread to share some of my thoughts with Pillars of Eternity. I won't be officially reviewing the game for the 'Watch, but I would like to share some thoughts and observations I've had since playing.

So far, I've played several hours, and have gotten as far as :
Spoiler –…

The most important comment I have thus far about this game is simply this: "This game is basically Baldur's Gate 2015!"

It's really true. I'm not saying this game sort of feels like Baldur's Gate, or it's simply been influenced by BG, but this game is as close to a modern Baldur's Gate as we will ever see!Honestly, the only thing missing is the D&D license and Minsc and Jaheira being recruitable characters.
smiley2.gif

So, needless to say, I love the original BG games, and this game has captured my imagination as well. It's truly a well-refined experience thus far.

The rule system is very important in a game like this, and while I haven't fully wrapped my mind around it yet, it certainly seems impressive, more impressive than most other RPG systems around nowadays. At first glance, it may appear more shallow than the D&D ruleset, but it has a lot of quirks and nuance to it, and once you start piecing some bits together, it starts to really become a very solid, modern ruleset that I'm enjoying.

Is it as great as D&D? Well, I'm not sure yet, but it certainly holds a candle to it. It even sets it on fire a bit.
smiley2.gif
However, I absolutely adore D&D, so it's hard for me to judge this aspect of the game. The system is solid, though, and as I explore it more I can see myself loving it a lot due to its sheer complexity and depth.

The game is sort of a more focused experience, with the interaction between the party members and combat systems. I think there are less combat encounters overall than BG, but they are more focused and require more tactics.

For example, running into a gang of spiders will require some thought. You certainly don't want your backline casters to be surrounded by the group, and you will want to keep positioning in mind so you can fire off some nice area-of-effect spells and abilities. It really is quite rewarding to properly position your caster and fire a cone of fire at your enemies, nailing as many of them as you can in the cone. It's satisfying to pull off these sorts of tricks in combat.

Did I mention the excellent writing? It's really quite nice, and the story thus far is epic and large enough to give a real sense of vastness to the game world. There are also lots of maps to add to this feeling as well, and just like BG, tons of rewarding exploration.

So, I'll stop the rambling here for now. I will add more thoughts in future posts, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys think of the game! Please, I don't want to get into endless debate about minute details of the system here, I'd just like to read some broad impressions and a general likes/dislikes list to see how you feel about the game thus far.

My list would look something like this:

Deep ruleset
Beautiful graphics
Epic story
Rewarding exploration with lots of maps to explore

Dislikes
Some of the fonts could be cooler (the default font is sharp and clean, but not necessary immersive in the way that a more stylized font would be.)
The general trend of "everything at nighttime turns purple". It makes the graphics a bit muddled, in my opinion.
That's all for now.

Let's hear what you guys think and some first impressions and what not. Ciao!
rpbeer.gif

LINK

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28092

Athelas

Arcane
Knowing that RPGWatch loves it sure makes me confident the game will turn out to be great.

Athelas

Arcane
Why don't we ask Sensuki what his impressions are? Is he actually playing this thing or still busy with foreplay?

EDIT: Oh yeah, of course he can't talk about it.

polo

Magister
Yup, i thogught the NDA part was Non disclosure agreement, but the soz had me.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
i should set up a patreon

I doubt you could compete with his pitch:

I create art. It's everything I do. It's all I've ever known and all I will ever know.

For my entire life I have searched for creative outlets. I've written poetry, books, articles, reviews of games, previews of games, interviews and more.

I've made music in many genres. I've created cult-classic underground hip-hop albums. I've created music for video games and movies that don't exist yet. I've created dance music, mood music, ambient pieces and everything in between.

I am constantly creating new things. My focus bounces around to various things that interest me and I shine a spotlight as bright as an exploding star on it.

I never stop creating nor will I ever stop. I pour every ounce of energy, love and passion into everything I do.

If I explained to you how hard I work on my arts, you would probably think I am crazy. When something interests me, I go at it. Hard. I do it with every square inch of my being. I invest myself fully to a point far past where most people would stop. I become fully enthralled with what I'm doing and try to deliver pristine work to the best of my abilities.

Currently, I make YouTube Let's Play videos of various role-playing games that interest me. I also pen articles, such as previews of new RPGs, reviews of games, retrospectives and more, for an RPG news website called RPGWatch.com.

I believe you should pledge to me in order to help me make better content. Any money given to me will be used to better my work in some way. If you pledge, I can guarantee that I will continue pouring my time and effort into my craft to bring you more interesting content.

If I can live off my work, then I will have unlimited time and resources to spend evolving myself and pouring myself into my work. New articles, interviews, music, art - and so much more. I even have dreams of designing my own ultimate RPG, and if I make enough money to put a team together, I will do that.

Together we can make this journey. I can't do it alone, so please be a Patron and support me. Every cent means so much and shows that you care about my work. Every cent props me up and gives me a chance to truly take these passions of mine to the next level.

As I harness the positive vibrations of the universe and continue creating new content while getting paid by you lovely supporters, then I will be living the life I always dreamed of as a child. I will be succeeding at doing what I love to do, and you all will be getting great content in return from someone who is extremely passionate about what they do.

There is nothing better than this for me. Supporting me is an investment in an extremely creative, hardworking person, doing things they love to do, and sharing my journey with all of you.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The stupidity in this thread is reaching astronomical levels.

Posting vague impressions of games is not a "leak". There is also, far as I can tell, no embargo on this game. Even if there is, Obisidian/Paradox isn't that big of player that can get them blacklisted from much other than their own games, and frankly, they don't seem vindictive enough to care enough to bother. So yeah, there's no fucking "leaks" going on here since these are reviewers who were legally given review copies of the game giving their impressions on a title with no embargo.

I really do hope this game is fucking fantastic. I backed it during the early bird special literal years ago. In a couple days, it'll sit in my steam library, where it'll wait for a nice meaty patch to polish things up. Either way, some fucking barely literate tardo linking his patreon while calling the game "Baldur's Gate 2015" really shouldn't be hyping anybody. Besides,
Baldur's Gate isn't even good :smug:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Posting vague impressions of games is not a "leak". There is also, far as I can tell, no embargo on this game. Even if there is, Obisidian isn't a big player that can get them blacklisted from much, nor do they seem vindictive enough to care too much. So yeah, there's no fucking "leaks" going on here since these are reviewers who were legally given review copies of the game giving their impressions on a title with no embargo.

NDAsoz

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Posting vague impressions of games is not a "leak". There is also, far as I can tell, no embargo on this game. Even if there is, Obisidian isn't a big player that can get them blacklisted from much, nor do they seem vindictive enough to care too much. So yeah, there's no fucking "leaks" going on here since these are reviewers who were legally given review copies of the game giving their impressions on a title with no embargo.

NDAsoz

What? There's an NDA attached to these review copies? :what: Are you sure, or just conjecture?

That's incredibly unusual and difficult to enforce.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Either way it's not a leak. Saying "HURR ITZ THE GAME OF ALL YEARS, GIMME MONEY!!" is just an impression.

A leak would be if, say, 8 months ago while the game was deep in development the entire outline of the plot full of dialogue and vital story points was released onto the internet.

hiver

Why exactly would Sensuki respect the NDA?

He is hoping for a job?

I doubt you could compete with his pitch:

I create art. It's everything I do.

For my entire life I have searched for creative outlets. I've written poetry, books, artic

I've made music in many genres.

I am constantly creating new things.

I never stop creating nor will I ever stop.

If I explained to you how hard I work

Currently, I make YouTube Let's Play videos

I believe you should pledge to me

If I can live off my work,
I will do that.

Together we can make this

As I harness the positive vibrations of the universe

There is nothing better than this for me.

This is what my scanning over it left recorded.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I want to make a living off shitposting on RPG Codex. Should I set up a patreon?

Dislikes
Some of the fonts could be cooler (the default font is sharp and clean, but not necessary immersive in the way that a more stylized font would be.)
The general trend of "everything at nighttime turns purple". It makes the graphics a bit muddled, in my opinion.
That's all for now.
=
Dislikes:
Font
Night time color

Hmmm. Could be worse. For instance, he could have disliked a character, a class, something in combat, or something that wasn't superficial. :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom