Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Relief Action [1987]

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
As far as I understand, it's a first person adventure for Amstrad CPC with an Alien-esque plot (set on the spaceship called Nostromo, being hunted by an alien, etc), but agad, these graphics kick real ass (and my thing looks similar to this game, perhaps too similar).

Anyone played this thing? Looks fucking badass.

main-qimg-94579bb37935f0431aa6ab7c4271248f.webp

relief_action.png

http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=1783

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I had a cpc back in the day but never heard of this game. Most games on cpc I had were multiplatform, like pirates, solomon's key, bubble bobble, captain blood, elite, etc.

This one looks prety awesome.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
As far as I understood it's in French. Stumbled upon this one by accident while reading a thread about programming tricks.

https://www.quora.com/How-did-game-...nty-five-years-ago/answer/Christophe-Grosjean

Pasting here just in case:
There is a book I really loves that expose really well the mindset we had at that time: Zen of assembly programming, by Michael Abrash. As far as I know reading it is the best way to really understand how programmers achieved wonders at that time.

In the eighties with fellow programmers I wrote a few games for 8 bits machines. Not the best games around, but we used the same kind of tricks as others. One I was really proud of was one of the first First Person True 3D (using wire view, surfaces came a few years later) real time adventure game running on CPC464. Not much chance anybody heard of it as it was not a hit, only selled a few thousands.

main-qimg-94579bb37935f0431aa6ab7c4271248f.webp

What was amazing was the 3D engine. To make it both fast and small we had to rewrite all 3D computing math using power of two friendly arithmetics for angles (ie: a full circle was 256 "binary degrees"). Function calls used bit tailored parameter passing through registers, and so on. It also used automodifying code to transmit parameters. The method may appears mad nowaday, but if it's small enough you can store a value inside the assembly opcode used to load a "constant". Really it makes that constant a variable it's faster and has smaller footprint.

We also redefined some basic things like alphabetic order to get better huffman-like compression for the game strings. An external program was building the most efficient possible alphabet to store messages.

As others said we also managed memory in a very aggressive way : parts of code only needed at loading time became room for datas afterward, parts of screen were also used to store programs of data.

Lots of such tricks.

EDIT: Misinformed. Looks like English version is available.
https://cpcrulez.fr/GamesTest/relief_action.htm

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm not familiar with this game in particular, but if it's being compared to Incentive's Freespace Engine (which was actually coded on the Amstrad CPC) then it goes without saying that this game runs SLOWLY, to the point that the 'real-time' claim kinda loses steam.

Still, pulling off a first-person perspective game on an 8-bit machine with 64k of memory is amazing.

For comparison, check out Orion Prime which used static images, but on an unprecedented scale for the Amstrad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom